AA98

2+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm thinking of quitting my research position during my Sophomore Spring semester (currently entering my Sophomore Fall). I don't think I can juggle my classes and scribing with another 10 hours of research a week.

I'll have around 150 hours over two semesters with no publications (Pretty much no undergrads in my lab get published) - would that be too little research for more research-oriented schools?

RTD

Aug 3, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Do not do research if it is going to hinder your grades. You are just a sophmore, you have time to do research next summer.

Lost in Translation

単純な馬鹿でありたい。
2+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2015
最上川
Status
Medical Student
I did one academic year of research in my senior year. I got no pubs or abstracts out of it. I think the relationship I formed with my PI and lab director helped me more (got a great LOR) than the fact I did research.

Reactions: akuko2 and WGSgrad

coldspring

2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2016
Do not do research if it is going to hinder your grades. You are just a sophmore, you have time to do research next summer.
I totally agree; keep your grades up and resume research at a more appropriate time for you.

I'm thinking of quitting my research position during my Sophomore Spring semester (currently entering my Sophomore Fall). I don't think I can juggle my classes and scribing with another 10 hours of research a week.

I'll have around 150 hours over two semesters with no publications (Pretty much no undergrads in my lab get published) - would that be too little research for more research-oriented schools?
For general application purposes the research you would have is sufficient provided you understand the point behind the research (hypothesis, methods, some idea of the data collected, but not necessarily the analysis and conclusions if the project didn't get that far).

For research-oriented schools, you'd probably want to get in more.

OP
A

AA98

2+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
For general application purposes the research you would have is sufficient provided you understand the point behind the research (hypothesis, methods, some idea of the data collected, but not necessarily the analysis and conclusions if the project didn't get that far).

For research-oriented schools, you'd probably want to get in more.
Oh ok, thank you!