Too little, too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ioa8992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm a 3rd year, just finishing up my core clerkships, and for the past ~9 months I really thought I was going to go into internal med (with my sights set on a heme/onc fellowship). But now radiation oncology has become my front-runner, and I'm feeling seriously late to the party. I got a 237 on step 1, which I think doesn't count me out for rad onc, but isn't going to get me into any of the top programs, right?. My extra-curriculars have really just been community service. I don't have any research. I've done pretty well in my rotations, mostly honors with a couple high passes.

My school doesn't have a residency program, so I am planning to do a couple aways this Aug-Oct. I'm on my surgery core through April, and then I'm going to do a rotation at my school in May (no residency program, but we do have a department) and ask about research opportunities. Is this enough? Is there more I should be doing?

I think my real question here is: am I kidding myself?

If any of you have any words of wisdom for me, I would really appreciate it.

The very best of luck to all of you who are matching this week!

Members don't see this ad.

There are many threads like yours. You definitely can get interviews.

Your 237 is not going to keep you out of top programs, but your lack of research will. If you are aiming high, you may need to take a year out to do research. If you just want to match, getting some projects started will help (but lack of track record of research will likely eliminate you from many programs).