Apr 22, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone, I am having some second thoughts about my AP courses this year. It's my senior year and want to do really well. I am taking:

AP US History
AP Chemistry
AP Psychology
(I am also taking a few others classes)

I signed up for AP Chem knowing that Math is not my best subject, but really want to be prepared for college Chem. I heard AP Chemistry in my school is pretty difficult. Should I drop AP Chem and replace it with regular physics? (I haven't taken Physics yet in HS)

Jul 10, 2017
Trust me, you're fine. It's good to take challenging classes throughout your senior year to show colleges that you're well prepared for a rigorous college curriculum and that you've matured.

Have you taken AP Bio yet? That's a very important class that you should consider if you have the space for it.
How well did you do in regular/honors chemistry? Don't be too stressed about how much math isn't your best subject, and focus on how well you did in regular chemistry and how hard you're willing to work in AP. Also, have you taken any math courses since you took chemistry, or are you taking one alongside AP Chem? In my opinion, you don't need to be calculus minded to take AP Chem, but don't ignore calc, it's still an important course to keep in mind.

I would stick with AP Chem and work harder, because you want to be prepared to take college chemistry. As most people will tell you, you want to take those pre-req classes (AP Bio, Calc, Chem, Physics) in high school to (1) Have that important fundamental knowledge coming in and (2) Give you the chance to take the AP Exam and consider using the AP Credit to bolt out of pre-reqs assuming your specific college allows, however if you can't, not the end of your life. Many people go into college without and still manage to work hard and do extremely well in.
I think AP Psych is a great class to take, and very interesting, so look forward to that. And see if you can somehow try to fit Honors physics into your schedule, but don't stress out if you can't. You seem to be taking a very challenging course load as it is. It's your last year. Just go in and work/study hard, make time to work hard at your essays, and dedicate time to your ECs and hobbies. Make sure to take classes that you find interesting. Don't take certain courses because you feel like you have to. If you have the opportunity, make sure you fill your schedule with electives. I was told that taking nothing but core science classes would make me look like a robot haha.

Last edited:
OP
C
Apr 22, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you for your feedback @Whole Wheat

I did take AP Bio my junior year and did alright...I took Chem my 10th grade year and did not do so well....So I am still having second thoughts about dropping it and replacing it with regular physics...

Thank you and good luck to you