Too many Step 1 books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makesomerheum

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I need some help thinning out the recommended books.
I am definitely going to use FA, BRS Path, BRS Phys, Clinical Micro Made Easy, and HY Neuroanatomy.

Out of these 7, which are the most useful to add.
-High Yield Molecular and Cell Bio
-High Yield Histology
-BRS Behavioral Science
-Lippincott Pharm
-High Yield Immunology
-Lippincott’s Biochem
-High Yield Genetics

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

If I had to pick one, I would say HY Molecular....beyond that you can tailor it to your personal strengths/weaknesses and just use some to help explain whats in FA

I also suffer from toomanybook-itis (The disease is in Robbin's, look it up....its right next to BOOP)

I am also curious to see how people trim their book lists down...

I would also consider adding the Robbin's Qbook...i've heard good things about it. AHHH! See? I can't stop!

Members don't see this ad :)
These books do not include the practice questions like qbank, etc. I just wanted to see what people thought about review books.

After reviewing some other posts, here is what I have found.

Cut High Yield Immunology: since MMRS covers
Cut Lippincott’s Biochem: since heard FA and HY Molecular and Cell Bio covers
Cut High Yield Genetics: since heard FA and HY Molecular and Cell Bio covers

Does this seem reasonable or am I missing something?

Short answer: probably

Long answer: what is your target score? how long do you have to prepare? how much do you expect to retain from reading a review book?

On the same note...let me bounce a question off of you knowledgeable post boards people...;)

I have done very well in school the first two years, but I have done so strictly reading the material provided by the professors. I have very rarely used any book, such as Robbin's. My question is, I am beginning my board study this semester (two weeks ago), and was wondering if I should get momma robbins and read it, and then after the semester start on goljan? I've taken some kaplan questions and done "ok." On any given 30 questions I get anywhere from 50% to 75% correct. Although, the 75% have come doing just one specific system, and the 50% from a mixture of all the systems we have covered in class, with all subjects (ie. pharm, micro, path, etc.).

I can get thru Momma Robbin's by the end of the school year if I completely put away my review books and just strictly read that...what is the consensus...is reading this book absolutely necessary to pass, do well, kill the boards? I would like to do well (don't need to kill it, but don't want to scrape by). Or is it if you know Gojan RR, FA, BRS phys well then you have just as good of a chance on the boards?

Thanks for any input!

235-240, 2 mos, enough that is justifies reading it.

If you own Lippincott Biochem, read the last chapter, and the Vitamins chapter. You could consider getting Rapid Review Biochem, which is not as long as Lippincott, but I don't have experience with it personally.

I don't see a role for HY Immuno, Histo, or Genetics, especially if you are using QBank (which I think covers them sufficiently beyond FA).

I have mixed feelings about BRS Behavioral Science. In the end I guess it depends on how comfortable you are in this subject -- a lot is common sense but you do need to know psych conditions and such. The questions in it are more nit-picky and trivia-oriented than the boards.

On the same note...let me bounce a question off of you knowledgeable post boards people...;)

I have done very well in school the first two years, but I have done so strictly reading the material provided by the professors. I have very rarely used any book, such as Robbin's. My question is, I am beginning my board study this semester (two weeks ago), and was wondering if I should get momma robbins and read it, and then after the semester start on goljan? I've taken some kaplan questions and done "ok." On any given 30 questions I get anywhere from 50% to 75% correct. Although, the 75% have come doing just one specific system, and the 50% from a mixture of all the systems we have covered in class, with all subjects (ie. pharm, micro, path, etc.).

I can get thru Momma Robbin's by the end of the school year if I completely put away my review books and just strictly read that...what is the consensus...is reading this book absolutely necessary to pass, do well, kill the boards? I would like to do well (don't need to kill it, but don't want to scrape by). Or is it if you know Gojan RR, FA, BRS phys well then you have just as good of a chance on the boards?

Thanks for any input!

I'm a huge fan of Robbins (read Big cover-to-cover*) and it is a great way to learn pathology. However it is not the only way to learn the path that is tested on the boards and is not "absolutely necessary to pass, do well, kill." Read whatever you feel helps you understand concepts and recognize/differentiate/explain diseases the most. If you prefer Goljan RR read that.

*Don't do this thinking you'll get a higher score, because you won't. Do this if you are a huge nerd and have lots of time because you don't attend lecture.

Here is my final product:
FA
BRS Path
BRS Phys
Clinical Micro Made Easy
HY Neuroanatomy
HY Molecular and Cell Bio
BRS Behavioral Science
Lange Pharm cards
RR Biochem if weak in area

I was under the impression that MMRS did not cover immuno....

Thanks for any input!

Don't waste your time with Momma Robbins-at 1447 pages she's full of crap you will never, EVER need to know, and besides which you will be so overwhelmed with petty detail you'll never see the forest with all the darned trees blocking your view. Instead buy Basic Robbins, which at 849 pages is edited to remove most of the worthless garbage of Momma.

I agree with not wasting time on Momma Robbins. I did not read it all my first 2 years nor for board study, and I have no regrets. Personally, I loved Goljan RR for Pathology, and would recommend reading it in addition to or in place of BRS path. As for the rest of your proposed book list, it looks pretty thorough. I didn't find the newest edition of HY cell and molec all that useful or pertinent to the test, but my test didn't have much cell and molec bio and the older edition of the book may have been better. Also, if you can find a copy of Lange medical microbio and immunology and read the immunology chapters, that would probably be a good idea (unless you are a pro in immuno).

what about for anatomy?????

the new editions of HY seem to have doubled in length! im so glad i got the 1st edition of HY molecular.

anatomy is supposed to be a low yield topic...i haven't taken the boards yet, but i don't think i would buy the latest HY anatomy b/c it's 100 pages longer! i read the previous edition and it seemed sufficient. it includes related pathology in each chapter.

goodies--for anatomy, my test was about 90% from first aid (a ton of brachial plexus and related questions) including the images at the end. The rest you pretty much couldn't study for. I skimmed HY anatomy and anatomy MRS and I don't think it added anything, but I do think that some of the qbank questions (not the terribly detailed ones) filled in what FA lacked. Really, its not worth more than studying FA and making sure you understand it and not just memorize it.