Too many study sources?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ioriscrub

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was planning on getting a qbank for this year to follow along with my coursework (probably Kaplan) but I've heard more about GT and working with the free trial I think I'd like to use it for the year. Is it possible to fit in both GT and an extra qbank with Kaplan along with coursework and everything else? I'm ready to do the work if its feasable but I don't want to shell out $200+ on study resources I most likely won't have time to use. Would appreciate your feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about GT, but kaplan takes a good 3-5 hrs of your day for every 46 question block you do. It will reduce down considerably once you know the material

it is possible to blaze through the questions on kaplan but i think its more effective if you read every answer choice whether u get it right or wrong and to look at why you got the question wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did GT alongside classes in the fall, and then did Kaplan and Uworld in the spring. It's tough to bank GT + do GT review quizzes + qbank questions all at the same time, so I organized my year so that I was only every doing 2/3 of those things at the same time. If you can finish banking GT before moving onto qbanks, it's feasible to do all these things and still get a lot out of them.

For me, a nice perk of finishing banking the GT flashcards before moving on the qbanks was that I felt I had a solid grasp of the memorizable details. I spent only ~1.5-2.5 hours per qbank set (taking the set + reviewing the answers and taking notes into FA) because I already felt very comfortable with the nitty gritty material (thanks to GT). You spend less time trying to learn the details from the qbank answers and more time learning the ways concepts are integrated into cases, honing your test taking skills, etc.

Thanks ipizzy, I think I'll go with your strategy. were you really able to bank everything on GT by the end of the fall? even the stuff from semester IV you hadn't covered yet? I think I can bank most of 1st year material by the end of the summer without too much trouble but I don't know about stuff I haven't actually been taught yet.

Last edited:
I finished ~85% of GT banking by the end of fall semester. In Jan-March I slowly added the cards for our spring material. I basically taught myself the details of my 3 spring classes ahead of time, which luckily for me wasn't all that difficult because they were classes that were pretty amenable to this strategy (e.g. psych). In Jan-March I wasn't banking at nearly the same pace as in the fall so it felt very manageable.

In the spring, if I had a day where I spent a good amount of time banking GT, I would cut back the amount of qbanking I did that day. But this only rarely happened... In the spring I was probably only banking 1-3 cards per day on average.