Too much, not enough, or just right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RocuROMANium

Anti-woke progressive
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am purchasing all of the necessary materials that I need for the MCAT right now. I was wondering if you all think that the material that I plan on purchasing is too much, not enough, or just right.

Here is what I have right now:
  • 2018 Kaplan 7 book content review because I was able to get them for $50.
  • I plan on using Khan Academy
Here is what I am planning on purchasing:
  • AAMC MCAT Official Prep Online-Only Bundle (Should I buy the physical copy version instead?)
  • UWorld entire Qbank
  • NextStep 4 MCAT Bundle which has 3 FL practice exams
If I buy all of these, then that would be 7 practice exams and 1900 QBank questions. Again, too much, too little, or just right?

Members don't see this ad.

I am purchasing all of the necessary materials that I need for the MCAT right now. I was wondering if you all think that the material that I plan on purchasing is too much, not enough, or just right.

• AAMC MCAT Official Prep Online-Only Bundle (Should I buy the physical copy version instead?)
  • UWorld entire Qbank
If I buy all of these, then that would be 7 practice exams and 1900 QBank questions. Again, too much, too little, or just right?

Worked for me! I did not use UWorld or NextStep - - after I finished Khan Academy and Kaplan (including their 3 brutal FLs) I just used AAMC qbanks and FLs. I would recommend the online AAMC stuff just to get oriented with the format since you'll be taking the exam online anywho

Reactions: 1 users
Same as above, but I did use UWorld (for P/S) and the first NS exam. Your plan seems good. Don't feel like you need to do everything. Remember that your first priority is to get through every AAMC question at least once!

Reactions: 1 user
I bought the Kaplan books from a friend so I do not think that I have Kaplan's FL's. Do you guys think that I should just choose between UWorld and NextStep? If so, which one do you guy's recommend?

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I did both. I found NS exams were useful to get used to timing / format of the exam and to identify content gaps. I used UWorld to simulate full length section of the exam by using their section creator tool (59 questions under timed conditions). I tried to go through two sections (CP and CARS or BB and PS) to simulate half the exam and would then spend a day or so reviewing the sections to identify content gaps, reasoning errors, etc. I was not a huge fan of UW CARS but I liked the practice. The UW BB and PS sections were quite strong though. If I had to pick one, I would probably go with NS because I think getting used to the format of the MCAT would make the AAMC FL exams a better gauge of your preparation because you will already be familiar with the timing of the exam.

Reactions: 2 users
If you have to choose, I would do UWorld instead of doing the Kaplan books. I didn't use any review books, just KA and I thought the content was sufficient. I just googled stuff that I wanted to know more about (which didn't come up a ton). Also, UWorld has good questions and passages, but their explanations saved my bacon, especially in P/S. They are just so dang detailed.

NS FLs are very good. I would take all the AAMC FLs and supplement with NS as needed.

If you have to choose, I would do UWorld instead of doing the Kaplan books. I didn't use any review books, just KA and I thought the content was sufficient. I just googled stuff that I wanted to know more about (which didn't come up a ton). Also, UWorld has good questions and passages, but their explanations saved my bacon, especially in P/S. They are just so dang detailed.

NS FLs are very good. I would take all the AAMC FLs and supplement with NS as needed.
I should note that I am an older non-traditional student too. I have not taken the pre-reqs in 4-6 years but I just completed a two year post-bacc of upper level science courses (upper level bios and chems) where I earned a 4.0 so I am not too worried about my content knowledge but I am not totally confident either. So you just did the 1900 question UWorld QBank instead of content review?

So you just did the 1900 question UWorld QBank instead of content review?

no, I used KA videos (with some AK lectures and crash course videos too) as my primary source of content review and supplemented with UWorld and the AAMC passages

I bought the Kaplan books from a friend so I do not think that I have Kaplan's FL's. Do you guys think that I should just choose between UWorld and NextStep? If so, which one do you guy's recommend?

Ah okay, I don't know how much the online access costs, but for me the Kaplan FL's were beneficial just because they are so brutally hard...if you can force yourself to improve on those then the AAMC exams seem almost easy (except for CARS RIP)

Personally, I did both. I found NS exams were useful to get used to timing / format of the exam and to identify content gaps. I used UWorld to simulate full length section of the exam by using their section creator tool (59 questions under timed conditions). I tried to go through two sections (CP and CARS or BB and PS) to simulate half the exam and would then spend a day or so reviewing the sections to identify content gaps, reasoning errors, etc. I was not a huge fan of UW CARS but I liked the practice. The UW BB and PS sections were quite strong though. If I had to pick one, I would probably go with NS because I think getting used to the format of the MCAT would make the AAMC FL exams a better gauge of your preparation because you will already be familiar with the timing of the exam.
How much time did you have before the MCAT? I have 3 months, so do you think that is enough time to do both?

How much time did you have before the MCAT? I have 3 months, so do you think that is enough time to do both?

That totally depends on how much time you have in those three months to study and where you are starting from content wise but three months should be ok. I would break it up in the following wa:

phase 1 content review (1 month): For this phase your goal is to go through all the content that’s covered on the MCAT exam. You want to use active learning strategies to engage with content instead of passively receiving the information such as watching videos or reading. During this phase I would make flashcards a key concepts in terms that are most likely to appear on the MCAT and flashcards (Anki is great) for every psychology and sociology term covered by Kaplan or Khan Academy. I would also practice one or two free Jack Weston CARS passages each day to get used to the structure and topics covered on the MCAT such as philosophy history art etc. again the goal is not to learn the content of those areas but to just be familiar with the writing style.

phase 2 test/section practice and content gap identification (1 month): This phase is really focused on getting used to the length of MCAT and the length of each of the individual sections of the MCAT as well as to identify content gaps.I would take one full length MCAT exam understimulated testing conditions each week and thoroughly review each question you missed and each question you got right. In between the full length exams I would go through you worl I would take one full length MCAT exam understimulated testing conditions each week and thoroughly review each question you missed and each question you got right. In between the full length exams I would go through UWorld Sections of the MCAT under time conditions. When I did this I tried to simulate half of an actual MCAT exam by doing the CP + CARS one day and then BB + PS the next. I would then spend a day or two reviewing things that I missed. What’s the goal for this phase is to get your number of reps up so that you are used to the length of the exam.

phase 3 AAMC prep (1 month): This is the most important phase as this is when you were going to transition to only using AAMC practice materials. There are five total full length exams that you should take under simulated conditions ideally once per week. In between your full length examples you should practice using the cars question pack and the section bank. In between your full length examples you should practice using the cars question pack and the section bank (ideally do the section bank once before either in phase 1 or phase 2 because it’s really excellent practice). Hear your goal is to really take a deep dive into how the writers of the MCAT structure questions, answers, wording, reasoning etc. The writers of the MCAT have a different way of asking questions that you have to be familiar with. Your goal is also to fill in any remaining content gaps starting with high-yield concepts and going all the way down to those nitty-gritty small pieces of information that we secretly hope will not be are fair game.

if you look at the overall structure of this plan you will notice that it’s roughly 1/3 content review and 2/3 practice. Ideally I would prefer to have 1/4 content review and 3/4 practice. if you wanted some additional resources during content review to increase the amount of practice I would highly recommend the Berkeley review books for general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, and biology, but they are pricey. TBR Worked well for me because of the way they structure the practice passages by having a nice loop back to previously covered concepts several timeworked well for me because of the way they structure it the practice passages by having an is loop back to previous covered concepts several times to reinforce the material,. You could also achieve a similar result using more KA practice passages during content review, just make sure you loop back to old topics regularly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
That totally depends on how much time you have in those three months to study and where you are starting from content wise but three months should be ok. I would break it up in the following wa:

phase 1 content review (1 month): For this phase your goal is to go through all the content that’s covered on the MCAT exam. You want to use active learning strategies to engage with content instead of passively receiving the information such as watching videos or reading. During this phase I would make flashcards a key concepts in terms that are most likely to appear on the MCAT and flashcards (Anki is great) for every psychology and sociology term covered by Kaplan or Khan Academy. I would also practice one or two free Jack Weston CARS passages each day to get used to the structure and topics covered on the MCAT such as philosophy history art etc. again the goal is not to learn the content of those areas but to just be familiar with the writing style.

phase 2 test/section practice and content gap identification (1 month): This phase is really focused on getting used to the length of MCAT and the length of each of the individual sections of the MCAT as well as to identify content gaps.I would take one full length MCAT exam understimulated testing conditions each week and thoroughly review each question you missed and each question you got right. In between the full length exams I would go through you worl I would take one full length MCAT exam understimulated testing conditions each week and thoroughly review each question you missed and each question you got right. In between the full length exams I would go through UWorld Sections of the MCAT under time conditions. When I did this I tried to simulate half of an actual MCAT exam by doing the CP + CARS one day and then BB + PS the next. I would then spend a day or two reviewing things that I missed. What’s the goal for this phase is to get your number of reps up so that you are used to the length of the exam.

phase 3 AAMC prep (1 month): This is the most important phase as this is when you were going to transition to only using AAMC practice materials. There are five total full length exams that you should take under simulated conditions ideally once per week. In between your full length examples you should practice using the cars question pack and the section bank. In between your full length examples you should practice using the cars question pack and the section bank (ideally do the section bank once before either in phase 1 or phase 2 because it’s really excellent practice). Hear your goal is to really take a deep dive into how the writers of the MCAT structure questions, answers, wording, reasoning etc. The writers of the MCAT have a different way of asking questions that you have to be familiar with. Your goal is also to fill in any remaining content gaps starting with high-yield concepts and going all the way down to those nitty-gritty small pieces of information that we secretly hope will not be are fair game.

if you look at the overall structure of this plan you will notice that it’s roughly 1/3 content review and 2/3 practice. Ideally I would prefer to have 1/4 content review and 3/4 practice. if you wanted some additional resources during content review to increase the amount of practice I would highly recommend the Berkeley review books for general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, and biology, but they are pricey. TBR Worked well for me because of the way they structure the practice passages by having a nice loop back to previous Lee covered concepts several timeworked well for me because of the way they structure it the practice passages by having an is loop back to previous covered concepts several times to reinforce the material,. You could also achieve a similar result using more KA practice passages during content review, just make sure you loop back to old topics regularly.
Thank you for this advice, I appreciate it. I like and heavily agree with this structure because one of the few consistent pieces of advice from people who do well on the MCAT is that they say not to spend too much time on content review and practice a lot.

Thank you for this advice, I appreciate it. I like and heavily agree with this structure because one of the few consistent pieces of advice from people who do well on the MCAT is that they say not to spend too much time on content review and practice a lot.
Good luck to you!

• UWorld entire Qbank

Sounds pretty solid, Mr. Churchill!

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors