Too much to overcome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RevGood

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I still very much want to pursue a career in medicine, but the mountain of obstacles in my way makes the possibility of it seem more remote every day. Too much debt to pay off. No time to go to school. To large a GPA deficit to overcome.

I want to be realistic about this, but I also want, for once, to realize a dream. To reach for, and attain, to one great thing in my life.

I want to be a doctor, but right now that seems so far away that it appears impossible.

Anyone else ever feel this way? How do you overcome these feelings and stay motivated?

Members don't see this ad.

There is a pastor in my medical school class. He is in his 40s and he has a family. The only way it would work for him was to take one class per semester for a few years (he has a degree in theology so he needed to take all of the prerequisite classes). He did alright on the MCAT and gained admission. Work hard and make it happen. Good luck!

Yes people have felt this way, and many people who felt this way are doctors now. Yes you can do it. Whether or not you want to do it is going to depend on how badly you want medicine vs. what you need to sacrifice to get in. I´m not sure how much we can help you in terms of making that decision, it seems like something that you´re going to need to work out through introspection, discussions with family, and (especially in your case) prayer. Where we can help is helping you figure out how to minimize the pain of getting in and also figure out how far you have to go. You might be surprised how many options this forum can present you with if you´re more specific about your situation. If you want help with that post your GPAs, MCATs (practice or previous) if you have them, and what your obligatoins are (family, job, whatever). Right now your situation is sorta general to give you more than equally general encouragement.

Edit: I looked over your previous posts. You currently have a 2.6 with no prereqs. No details on your financial obligations or debt other than that you ´have debt´(does bible school really charge that much?). That means you have the opportunity to get to a little under a 3.0 with the prereqs and a much higher science GPA in about a year if you devote yourself to college full time (longer if you can´t, but the GPA thing still stands). Assuming you do well on the MCAT (32 or more) you then have the three options of either

1) Take another year of undregrad after the prereqs and trying for DO
2) Trying for an SMP, doing really well, and going allopathic
3) Going to the Carribean and trying to graduate (less than half do)

Best case scenario you´re in a US allopathic medical school two years from this fall. Not easy, but definitely not impossible.

Hi...I was feeling really bad yesterday ...about the same thing. I took a MCAT diagnostic about a week ago and I did horrible. My MCAT has to be my saving grace because my GPA is on the low side. Right now I am at the base of the MCAT mountain ....just staring at it...Going "O, No! - I've gotta climb this?" I know I have to dedicate many hours of studying...probably more than I can give. And I keep getting **** thrown at me that just works against me. My classes don't fit in my schedule.... My husband doesn't understand that I should be in the library where its quiet instead of coming home where everyone has things they want me to do. My neighbor's harrassing me...therefore I'm supposed to be moving while studying for the MCAT....There's much much more....

But when the question hits my mind. I say NO. I have worked way too hard to give up now. The day I quit is when I have no chance. So I am not quitting.

So you got a low GPA.....Ignore all the negativity....you can turn things around...just take one step at a time. This will not happen overnight.

How do I stay motivated? By shadowing....makes me relize that this is what I have to do. Volunteer....these are all requirements that you must do...it gives me a satisfaction that I am improving my app....even if I'm stuggling with my classes.