too old?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snakeplissken6

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys. im full of stupid wacked out worries and this is one.

im taking the mcat in august. i plan on applying next year (2007) but i want to take 4 classes over. if i bust my --- i can get it done, but if not it might mean an extra year. im 26 now. that would mean id be 27, 28 when i apply.

so:

too old and go back to bartending?
or...okay for DO?

and..another question. if i take 2 classes the summer i am applying, and its in progress..and they are pre reqs, how is this viewed?

thanks and good luck to y'all.

Members don't see this ad.

Not to sound harsh but.. .

You've got to be kidding..

I'll be an OMS1 this Fall and I'm 31... I know many docs and med students that are in their late 40s and 50s...

"It's never too late to be what you might have been".
George Eliot

Chronological age is irrelevant.

Ditto. I like the George Eliot quote too.
Lisa PA-C
(I'll be 32 when I start, assuming I get in for '06)

adennis said:
Not to sound harsh but.. .

You've got to be kidding..

I'll be an OMS1 this Fall and I'm 31... I know many docs and med students that are in their late 40s and 50s...

"It's never too late to be what you might have been".
George Eliot

Chronological age is irrelevant.

Members don't see this ad :)
snakeplissken6 said:

im taking the mcat in august. i plan on applying next year (2007) but i want to take 4 classes over. if i bust my --- i can get it done, but if not it might mean an extra year. im 26 now. that would mean id be 27, 28 when i apply.

so:

or...okay for DO?

and..another question. if i take 2 classes the summer i am applying, and its in progress..and they are pre reqs, how is this viewed?

you're still young :p

Last edited:
Heck...I was 29 when I started podiatry and switched to medical school at 31. I'll be 35 when I graduate. There are others in my class who are 35+. Good luck and go for it!

box29 said:
Heck...I was 29 when I started podiatry and switched to medical school at 31. I'll be 35 when I graduate. There are others in my class who are 35+. Good luck and go for it!

You have got to be kidding. If you're too old, I must be geriatric.
I'm turning 33 this September and I'm starting DO school this August.
Just be sure to drink your warm glass of milk before going to sleep.

No offense...and I'm not saying that I'm old nor anyone else... :laugh: :p

Just to chime in...I'll be 35 when I apply next summer and I'm not sweatin' it. You'll be fine.

primadonna22274 said:
Ditto. I like the George Eliot quote too.
Lisa PA-C
(I'll be 32 when I start, assuming I get in for '06)

Amen. I am 26 now and only a 2nd year undergrad coming this fall. Im not looking to aplly until summer of 2007 myself. When I look back at the time I have lost since high school it is only a fraction of the time I have left until Med-school. When I am 33 I could look back and say "I could have been a resident by now. I'm not gonna let that happen. Time really does fly once you get a couple of years under your belt.

Good luck Partner. :)

snakeplissken6 said:
or...okay for DO?

i just turned 28

they shouldn't give a crap about pre-reqs over the summer. by the time you are doing secondaries you will have your grades. no big deal. you just fill out that the classes are in progress on the AACOMAS

so:

or...okay for DO?

Nope. Not too old. You'll find many peers your age in med school. If you want to do something bad enough, then go for it. You're going to be 28 someday anyway. ;)

Not at all too old...I hope to start at 31 or 32 (turning 29 in a couple weeks..)...

Just don't put it off any longer...I've wasted the last 7 years of my life...and it pi$$es me off.

Members don't see this ad :)
snakeplissken6 said:

There are people in my class who are in their 50s.

you can never be too old to pursue your dreams. Whether you decide to go to medical school or to continue doing what you are doing now, a new year will come and go. So act now if it is truly what you want why continue knocking on closing doors when there are many more open and fruitful doors

Im somewhat in your shoes. I don't think Im too old to continue. I want to practice medicine so age doesn't bother me. Im a junior and I don't plan to enter med until 2007 either. Which by then I will be kicking 29! I think you have to think about what you've gained in those previous years. Im a computer programmer...(yes I know! programmer = medicine (but its what I've always wanted to do) ) I have been in school for some time but I will be going into medicine some time soon. Im a totally untraditional student. My undergrad in int'l bus/french, I work as a programmer and I want to go into medicine! :) so you can do what you put your foot down to. No matter your age!

good luck!

snakeplissken6 said:

so:

or...okay for DO?

Age is just a number friend. If you're gonna be doing something for the next 25+ years make sure it is something you love.

Well, even the youngest docs out there are like 29 to 30 years anyway, unless they're geniuses that managed to get through schooling and college early :p

Plus, I would think that age would work in your favor when searching for a patient base. Some people are so superficial about physicians that they search for older-looking ones. The reason? Experience, or rather they think that the older ones have more experience, and thus, are less likely to make mistakes.

:D

i heard that they add points to your MCAT scores if you're older. sorta like age=handicap. i've heard of 50 year olds getting 50 on the MCAT. no, i'm just bsing... i'm turning 33 during orientation week. what else are you going to do with the rest of your life? that's what a doctor/recommender offered to me when i asked wether it was worth it.

goo lump, wait lemme put my teeth in, GOOD LUCK!

please note the humor, i mean no harm

snakeplissken6 said:

so:

or...okay for DO?

Agree with previous posters. Oldest dude in my class was 51 when we started.

Wook

Ok, now I feel much better (laughs).
I will be 47 when, or if, I get in to med school. So, for some of the students I will be old enough to be their parent. How's that for a perspective.

I hope to take the MCAT in the fall of 2006. And interview during the fall/winter of 2006. And, with luck (ok, a lot of luck), I will be accepted to a school starting in 2007. That means I will be at least 49 when I start rotations and 51 when I graduate.

So, perhaps I should focus on geriatrics (does anyone know where I can get a used walker?)

I'll be 27 in less than two weeks (soon to be an OMS1 in August).

my class had more than 10% of students above 28yo. You are at your golden age. :D

Nate said:
Way too old

way too old if you want to be the youngest in your med class. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

nah, not old at all. Ever hear of the grandmother that attended med school? age doesn't matter. it's the brain power, and humanity factor that counts. If you've got the determination, go for it!

good luck

I am just starting now and I am 31 so I was being sarcastic because the question struck me funny. Life is about the journey not the destination. Just make sure you can pay for the journey but at our ages and current physician salaries we should be just fine.