too old

Started by cpc23
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cpc23

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a 27 year old MS1 and also a Navy HPSP scholarship. There is a very good chance that I will spend my time in the Navy as a GMO. This means I would be 36 when applying for a civilian residency and 43 when done. Is this unheard of/not worth it?

Thanks
 
I think you have to ask yourself if NS is really what you want to do. Any residency is at least 3 years, then if you specialize, it will be 4+ (besides neurology and maybe some others I don't know about). But if surgery is your calling, it will be 5 at the least. I don't think anyone can answer the question for you if its worth it.