Too soon to take the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ree123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just started a post-bachelor program this fall to get my science pre-reqs and I was wondering if it would be too soon to expect to take the DAT in August or September of next year. Here is how my next few semesters break down:

F 07
General Biology (Diversity of Life)
Gen Chem 1
Physics 1
Sociology

W 08
Microbiology
Anatamy & Physiology
Orgo 1
Psychology

Spring/Summer 08
Genetics
Orgo 2
Pre-calc
Kaplan DAT test prep

Take DAT in August/September

F 08
Biochem
Inorganic Chem 2
Physics 2

Do you think I will have taken enough of (and the right classes) to be prepared for the DAT at that point? My primary concern is not having done enough biology and being underprepared for that section.

I would really like to make the deadline for entrance to dental school for the incomming class of 2009. Is this a reasonable expectation or am I trying to do things too quickly? I'd really appreciate and thoughts and comments people have on this. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In a nutshell, I think you are moving too quickly.

Without the 2nd semester of Bio and GChem completed before your DAT, you are definitely at a disadvantage. Bio is known for asking some really random questions and Chem 2 makes up a big chunk of the material. Unless you are doing very well on the Topscore and Achiever practice tests, you are taking it too early.

Some of this also depends on your GPA. If your undergrad gpa is less than stellar, then your time will be better spent getting high grades in all of your classes in addition to doing well on the DAT

This semester that you propose seems totally insane to me!
Spring/Summer 08
Genetics
Orgo 2
Pre-calc
Kaplan DAT test prep

Will you have time for materials other than Kaplan? If not, then you may be setting yourself up for a DAT disaster unless you are just an awesome standardized test taker.

If you take it in Aug 08 as you plan and do well, then you are obviously set.

If you do not do well, your next DAT will be in November/December 08 (extremely late in the cycle) AND you will be back in school so concentrated DAT study time will be hard to come by. Unless you totally rock the 2nd DAT you'll be forced into the next cycle regardless, and your grades for the Fall 08 semester may suffer as well.

I was in your same situaiton, and I pushed back my application from 2007 to 2008. I did well in all of my classes and took my DAT this past August. I have had 2 interviews so far and they both went very, very well. I know an extra year seems like an eternity to wait, but if your application better for it, it will be time well spent.

Good Luck whatever you decide! :thumbup: