Took 7/31 MCAT..should I continue studying??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paki20

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the MCAT yesterday...I have absolutely no idea how I did so should I continue studying (look over notes, take practice exams, read review books, etc)?? I am applying this cycle (already submitted amcas) but the more I think about the questions the more I realize I made stupid mistakes..my last chance is in September and I'll only have ~10 days of studying after receiving my test results..any suggestions?? wish the results came out earlier..and i know i know i should be relaxing for at least a few days

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Keep doing practice questions, rather than reviewing notes. If you PM me, I can hook you up with some practice questions.

I'm taking the 8/6/09 MCAT and I plan on signing up for the last MCAT date available on 9/12/09 after the 24-48 grace period just in case. At least I will have spot saved just in case I need to take it again. I plan to continue doing practice problems and review any topics where I am still consistently not answering questions correctly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you really that unsure of your score? what are your expectations?

I would honestly take a break and relax. Focus on something else until your scores come out. Its not worth the stress and you might burn yourself out.

I just took it too and it seems to me that more content review would not help. Most of the questions have the answers hidden in the passage somewhere, so for a lot of the questions, extra outside knowledge would not be entirely helpful. At this point, I would focus on test taking strategies such as timing, quickly understanding what the questions are asking, etc. A lot of questions aren't difficult to answer, it's just hard to decipher what they are asking.

I just took it too and it seems to me that more content review would not help. Most of the questions have the answers hidden in the passage somewhere, so for a lot of the questions, extra outside knowledge would not be entirely helpful. At this point, I would focus on test taking strategies such as timing, quickly understanding what the questions are asking, etc. A lot of questions aren't difficult to answer, it's just hard to decipher what they are asking.

Yeah thats how I felt about the test, I didn't think it was difficult, I just thought it was tricky in the sense you had to accurate match the question to the right information in the passage. Everyone said the BS was hard but I thought it was OK. The verbal was hard but I expected it to be and had to guess on the Liberalism passage...

I mean many say this test is a bout luck and I completely disagree. It is about how well you can think under pressure, its a mental marathon.

Think about it, you are doing a C/S and there happens to be complications. You can't go back to your office and consort meidcal books, you are operating and must make decisions quickly. You have to think on your feet, go over multiple scenarios and pick the best one. You don't have time to dwell on each decision, you have to go quickly in order to save as much of the patient's well being as you can. Patient begins bleeding profusely. Your previous plan is out the window. You delivered but now you must focus on saving the patient's uterus. You may be doing this surgery for 5+ hours. Sound familiar? Being a doctor requires you to have the mental strength of the MCATS. It is a measure of how well you can perform under pressure, how well your use your logic, and how you can get to the best solution the quickest.

Yeah thats how I felt about the test, I didn't think it was difficult, I just thought it was tricky in the sense you had to accurate match the question to the right information in the passage. Everyone said the BS was hard but I thought it was OK. The verbal was hard but I expected it to be and had to guess on the Liberalism passage...

I mean many say this test is a bout luck and I completely disagree. It is about how well you can think under pressure, its a mental marathon.

Think about it, you are doing a C/S and there happens to be complications. You can't go back to your office and consort meidcal books, you are operating and must make decisions quickly. You have to think on your feet, go over multiple scenarios and pick the best one. You don't have time to dwell on each decision, you have to go quickly in order to save as much of the patient's well being as you can. Patient begins bleeding profusely. Your previous plan is out the window. You delivered but now you must focus on saving the patient's uterus. You may be doing this surgery for 5+ hours. Sound familiar? Being a doctor requires you to have the mental strength of the MCATS. It is a measure of how well you can perform under pressure, how well your use your logic, and how you can get to the best solution the quickest.

I agree. This is a nice summary. Although, from previous posts about the MCAT, I did get the impression that it was a crap shoot.

I just took the MCAT yesterday...I have absolutely no idea how I did so should I continue studying (look over notes, take practice exams, read review books, etc)?? I am applying this cycle (already submitted amcas) but the more I think about the questions the more I realize I made stupid mistakes..my last chance is in September and I'll only have ~10 days of studying after receiving my test results..any suggestions?? wish the results came out earlier..and i know i know i should be relaxing for at least a few days

I took the 7/30 MCAT and am wondering the same thing. I am planning to submit my application today, and if I do, will I need to put on AMCAS that schools should expect another score from me on September 12?

I am just terribly nervous about how I did, and I feel like I could do much better now that I know a little bit more of what to expect (I mean, I took practice MCATs and all but the MCAT was much harder in my opinion).

What do you think... should I go ahead and register for the exam and then cancel if my scores are okay?

Well I hope I did alright on the MCAT because there are no seats available in Georgia, Florida, Alabama, South Carolina, or Tennessee. This stinks.

I took the 7/30 mcat. I have been doing light content review since then. I also have no idea how I did. I plan on taking practice tests starting this thursday. I want to be prepared in the case that I have to retake.