Took DAT: July 14/06

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KHANSAHAAB

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bio: 24
Chem: 20
OChem: 22
RC: 21
PAT: 17 :oops:
QR: 16 :(
AA: 21
TS: 22

I'm worried about my QR and PAT; Do I need to retake it?

I'll post the breakdown later tonite.

Members don't see this ad.

nice scores man! I just got done with mine today too:

AA 20
TS 19
PAT 16

I'm not really considering retaking, but will a 16 PAT be a problem? It feels GREAT to be finished! Time to get drunk :cool:

you both did wonderfully!
a score of 20+ is VERY safe and is MY goal.
however, some schools have a minimum cut off of at least a 16 in all sections. but your aa is great, so i think it'll be overlooked.

can you guys please describe the BIO and G-CHEM sections?
they scare me.
i'm retaking (19/19/18) in AUGUST! yikes.

thank you.

bio: ridiculous... there were questions from left field, right field, and center field. Spend all your free time reading biology/physiology textbooks.

g-chem: I found it very easy. go through Kaplan, do practice problems on stoichiometry, gas laws, redox, etc.

I made flash cards to supplement Kaplan's. I put all kinds of gen chem laws, bio factoids, functional groups and other stuff on there and would go through them while watching TV, before sleeping, brushing teeth and so on. I think it helped and kept my mind on it even when I was taking a break from studying.

lovechild, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
KHANSAHAAB said:
Bio: 24
Chem: 20
OChem: 22
RC: 21
PAT: 17 :oops:
QR: 16 :(
AA: 21
TS: 22

I'm worried about my QR and PAT; Do I need to retake it?

I'll post the breakdown later tonite.

Congrats! What were your topscore and DAt achiever scores?

Here's the breakdown,

Bio: As everyone says, more materials should be used for preperation than Kaplan. I only used Kaplan but since I'm a human bio major so I was able to make educated guesses on a few of the questions. Two questions from DAT Achiever were on there: 1) the enzyme where it asks what happens to a question after it catalyzes a reaction; 2) the thermoregulation question where it asks what aids in keeping a const. body temp. I also had the infamous sea urchin question, which I wouldn't have been able to answer if it wasn't for SDN. I had a few taxonomy questions too. All in all, most questions were straightforwards but about 6 or 7 required critical thinking.

Chem: It wasn't as easy as some people have said, previously. If you've done the practice tests then it shouldn't really be a problem. Quite a few calculations; very few conceptual questions. However, with proper preperation this section is attainable. Kaplan is enough for this.

OChem: A breeze for the most part. Not many reactions (probably like 4 or 5); mainly conceptual. Kaplan is more than enough. I had one question about NMR, and one about an amino acid (glycine, I think); nothing difficult though. Kaplan is more than enough.

RC: Passages were about Calcium, Antibiotics, aging. I recommend reading the whole passage and understanding the basic idea/concept of the passage and then attacking the question. I lost concentration in the second passage but quickly recovered to finish it in time.

PAT: My most challenging section. I found it harder than topscore and a tad bit easier than DAT Achiever. Angles were as everyone said they would be: almost impossible. But what surprised me was the difficulty of the hole punching section. Very challenging. The pattern folding was also a nightmare.

QR: I was plum out of gas during this section. I lost all motivation. A few basic trig questions, and a few probability questions. Lots of word problems and a couple algebraic questions.

Topscore scores: Test 1: Bio: 21; Chem: 19; PAT: 18; RC: 19; TS: 21
Test 2: Bio: 19; Chem: 18; PAT: 20; RC: 20; TS: 19
Test 3: Bio: 17; Chem: 17: PAT: 19; RC: 16; TS: 17

No OChem beacause it was the Canadian edition

DAT Achiever: (only did one test)

Bio: 17; Chem :16;Ochem: 15; PAT: 16

So no retake for me right? I really don't wanna go through all this again.

Good luck to all and if any question please ask.

KHANSAHAAB said:
PAT: My most challenging section. I found it harder than topscore and a tad bit easier than DAT Achiever. Angles were as everyone said they would be: almost impossible. But what surprised me was the difficulty of the hole punching section. Very challenging. The pattern folding was also a nightmare.

QR: I was plum out of gas during this section. I lost all motivation. A few basic trig questions, and a few probability questions. Lots of word problems and a couple algebraic questions.

I agree with what you've said. PAT was extremely difficult. Hole punching was more difficult than I'd seen before. Top-front-end, my weakness, destroyed me. Angles were extremely difficult to differentiate.

I was surprised by QR. I had done tons of practice but the exam had questions I wasn't really prepared for - lots of time-consuming word problems.

how often do they totally rewrite the DAT? Anyone know? I'm curious. I believe that there are 4 tests that they cycle throughout the year, but I figured the test was rewritten eventually. i'm surprised to see people having the sea urchin question, and the passages I had on the DAT last year.

great scores by the way. I can only hope for something as good.

Pardon my ignorance here, but as newbie what is the sea urchin question?? Thanks!!
Scott

scottyhoop said:
Pardon my ignorance here, but as newbie what is the sea urchin question?? Thanks!!
Scott

are you kidding? They still have this question? I got the sea urchin question 2 years ago! thats funny.