Took First DAT practice Test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrTacoElf

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far i have thoroughly reviewed biology and about 1/2 of gen chem. Have not looked at orgo at all. Rough review of Math, good practice with Reading comprehension and fair ammount of perceptual work

Practice (Kaplan book test results)

QR- 17
RC - 21
Biology - 19
General Chem - 15
Organic Chem - 17
Total Science - 17
PAT - 18

My biggest issue was with time in chem, apeture passing + 3D folding and top/front/end.

Any suggestions for me so that i can get all these 20+ by june 29th. I'm really afraid of PAT because i've heard numberous times its way harder on the real DAT :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

looks great for your first practice test. better than my first practice test at least :eek: and i did fine on the real one. keep practicing and i am sure you will have 20's by june 29.

For a first practice test, it looks pretty good to me. You are on your way. How do you get 20+ in all of these? I'd recommend working as many problems as you can from now until Jun 29. With practice, you'll get faster in all sections including Chem. Also, I'd suggest you go get Top Score and see how you do on a computerized version of the exam. And you'll definitely need to test higher than 20 on the Top Score PAT in order to get a 20 on the real DAT. But all in all, great job so far. Let us know how you do on the first Top Score DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrTacoElf

Good Start. Few more practices, and you can Hit a home-run.

DrTacoElf said:
I actually have topscore sitting right here but i'm not gonna use it until i'm closer and already through all my other practice tests :)

That makes sense to me to wait. For myself, I took each of the 3 test twice. Because I have such a short-term memory, after about 3 weeks, I couldn't remember the correct answer choices anymore, so it was practically like a brand new exam. It was good practice. Granted my scores became upwardly skewed because I did remember some problems, but it really was like taking a brand new exam.

On the test you just took, was it a paper/pencil test? Or did you use the CD? Just a couple of recommendations for paper/pencil. Always practice with scratch paper, just like you would on the real DAT. Never write in the test booklet. If possible, always try to take the entire exam in one sitting. This will help mimic the real test env as close as possible.

Keep working hard on the material. I think you're gonna do great on the DAT.

I waited till the week before my real DAT exam to take Top Score, and I hate to say it, but I regret it. I was scoring much lower on Top Score then on Kaplan, so as you can imagine, I was very discouraged. Since I could not change the date of my exam, I went in and took it anyways, and to my surprise I did awesome on all the sciences and reading. I did screw up on the Quant and the PAT.....scored about the same as Kaplan....except for the PAT and Quant. Kaplan is a joke I think for these sections compared to the real exam.....For these two aformentioned sections expect them to be like Top Score....so I should have spent much more time with Top Score. The only problem is that they don't give explanations....

claudiadent

When you guys are talking about practice exams... what are you referring to? I have topscore pro, but I won't use it until I've studied the sciences well enough... in about a month. So, if the OP is not referring to topscore what is she/he referring to? A Kaplan CD? If so, I also have a Kaplan CD that came with the book that I bought online. Obviously I haven't used it, but I will be using it pretty soon.

Any feedback will be appreciated!

wimmcs said:
When you guys are talking about practice exams... what are you referring to? I have topscore pro, but I won't use it until I've studied the sciences well enough... in about a month. So, if the OP is not referring to topscore what is she/he referring to? A Kaplan CD? If so, I also have a Kaplan CD that came with the book that I bought online. Obviously I haven't used it, but I will be using it pretty soon.

Any feedback will be appreciated!
wimmcs,

There should be a full length practice test on the Kaplan CD (The Blue Book). I would start taking the Top Score around a month before your exam...like one per week. Take some time to review all your right and wrong answer choices. Like previous poster says, Top Score only has answers and no explanations. I'd use that "opportunity" to research and learn about correct answer choices.

HBomb888 said:
wimmcs,

There should be a full length practice test on the Kaplan CD (The Blue Book). I would start taking the Top Score around a month before your exam...like one per week. Take some time to review all your right and wrong answer choices. Like previous poster says, Top Score only has answers and no explanations. I'd use that "opportunity" to research and learn about correct answer choices.

thanks for your feedback!!