Took OAT practice test, don't know anything!!??!! Help!

tam2688

tam2688
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am a bit concerned, I am a biology major, starting 3rd year - I just got a copy of the Kaplan 05 OAT book and looked through. I have taken most of the biology sequence, but have not finished general chemistry, organic chemistry or physics, (I plan to finish chemistry and calculus this year and start organic in the summer and physics 4th year). I looked through the OAT book and I am feeling very bad - obviously I do not understand the physics and chemistry sections because I have not finished them, but the biology section was a bit difficult too. I know many of the answers without any studying yet, but I feel many are very scattered and detailed.
I know I am freaking out because I am not done with the prerequisite classes and haven't studied yet, but I do not know much at all, except some of the questions in the biology section and I am wondering if this is normal and what I should do about it.
Were you guys lost at the beginning too and learned, or were you able to answer pretty much everything on the OAT practice tests.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,
I am a bit concerned, I am a biology major, starting 3rd year - I just got a copy of the Kaplan 05 OAT book and looked through. I have taken most of the biology sequence, but have not finished general chemistry, organic chemistry or physics, (I plan to finish chemistry and calculus this year and start organic in the summer and physics 4th year). I looked through the OAT book and I am feeling very bad - obviously I do not understand the physics and chemistry sections because I have not finished them, but the biology section was a bit difficult too. I know many of the answers without any studying yet, but I feel many are very scattered and detailed.
I know I am freaking out because I am not done with the prerequisite classes and haven't studied yet, but I do not know much at all, except some of the questions in the biology section and I am wondering if this is normal and what I should do about it.
Were you guys lost at the beginning too and learned, or were you able to answer pretty much everything on the OAT practice tests.

Don't worry, this is pretty common. In fact, Kaplan came onto our campus to give free OAT/DAT/MCAT/GRE, etc. tests so I took the time to try the OAT shortly after finishing my pre-reqs.
Sadly, I was close to scoring the minimum on most sections, with physics being the worst. A few of my friends also scored really poorly, and wasn't confident about the subjects either.

All the subjects are very easy to study for. As for biology, you'll see questions covering the same concepts as you do more practice problems.

After my test, Kaplan wanted me to teach the course because of my score, and I think all you need is dedication to score well on the OAT!

I was the same way, except I had the physics/chem down, but not the biology. In fact, I hadn't taken any bio when I took the OAT, but just had my high school background. I studied a bit on my own and managed to barely slide by (although I did not do well at all), and my other scores balanced my averages out. I'd say just study the best you can and make sure you understand the format of the test well so you can have a lot of time to sit and think if you need it. Most of the questions you can sort of eliminate some answers with basic knowledge, so you can have better odds when you need it.

Don't worry, this is pretty common. In fact, Kaplan came onto our campus to give free OAT/DAT/MCAT/GRE, etc. tests so I took the time to try the OAT shortly after finishing my pre-reqs.
Sadly, I was close to scoring the minimum on most sections, with physics being the worst. A few of my friends also scored really poorly, and wasn't confident about the subjects either.

All the subjects are very easy to study for. As for biology, you'll see questions covering the same concepts as you do more practice problems.

After my test, Kaplan wanted me to teach the course because of my score, and I think all you need is dedication to score well on the OAT!

What was your score? And did you take Kaplan course before OAT?