Took Step 2 today - So Frustrated

Discussion in 'Step I' started by musicman1991, May 1, 2004.

1. musicman1991

musicman1991 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I took Step 2 today. Let me say - it was a BLOODBATH. I don't think any of my studying helped me except get the easy questions. Towards the end I was so tired. I know 95% of US Seniors pass but I swear I hope I don't have to go through this ordeal again. I don't even know if I could start my residency! I was really down earlier but I've accepted there is nothing I can do and to try to enjoy my 4 weeks until I get my results!

My advice: don't study more than 1 week for it. I studied for 2 and only 1 week helped me. Qbank was useless. That questions were so much more intricate and the vignettes were SO long. The best question source was the 150 free questions they give out on usmle.org

I looked at some of hte other posts and it sound like a familiar story for ohters. I don't wish having to take Step 2 on anyone. Step 1 is much easier and first aid for step 1 is a godsend. The prep materials for Step 2 don't do much.

Anyways I could use some support so feel free to drop some!

2. mjl34

mjl34 Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    you'll be fine (if my experience has any impact on your score anyway :) )

I studied for about two weeks (but it seemed like never more than 20 minutes at a time) and only dropped three points from my step one score.

I also felt bad after taking it, so just enjoy the next four weeks and don't worry about it - since worrying won't raise your score anyway.

3. musicman1991

5+ Year Member

Thanks man. Pray for me anyways!

4. Al Pacino

Al Pacino Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Man, that sux. Please share your advice on Step II I'm taking the deuce in Dec. I had a friend in the previous class who rocked every shelf exam but totally bombed his Step II exam. He said that Step II exam is very unpractical at times, with their focus on unusual diseases.

5. musicman1991

5+ Year Member

Yes it's hard to study for step 2. I think it's a matter of luck. The jist of the question is very to figure out, but then the most intricate management of the patient is ridiculous!

I will definitely post my follow up in 4 weeks.

Hey with Step 2, I just hope I pass!

6. sean wilson

sean wilson Membership Revoked
    Removed

Those fuc*ers asked me a question about what type of balloon is safe in the hospital. Having never been confronted with this issue, I wasn't sure if mylar was a distractor or not. Load of BS.

And most people do pass--it just feels like we're going to be among the unlucky few who don't.

Good luck.

7. musicman1991

5+ Year Member

Haha what type of balloon!! Well they sell mylar and latex in my hospital gift shop.

Yeah 95% pass on first time of US Seniors. I bet one could take the test the very next day and do completely different. Also you tend to remember the questions you got wrong and not vice versa.

Well we'll deal with that in 3 weeks when it comes to it.

8. medgrrl

medgrrl Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

took it today and i agree that it was awful. i have no idea how i did. feelin fairly crappy about it.

hope the news is 4 weeks is pass...

9. musicman1991

5+ Year Member

Well it sounds like most people feel that way. One guy I know thought he bombed it but he ended up with a 260. So I just hope the 3 of us Pass. Can this hold me up from starting residency if doomsday scenario comes?

10. medgrrl

medgrrl Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

my residency director told me i couldn't start until i pass. oy vey.

i am sure it will all work out.

11. RedBlanket

RedBlanket Hi everybody!
    7+ Year Member

I'm glad I checked out this thread. I took it two or three weeks ago and came out in a state of shock. I studied for and took Step 1 and Step 2 with the same friend. He came out of Step 1 stunned and feeling like he got worked. He stated the questions were ridiculous and that he had a really hard test; I thought it was hard, but reasonable. This time we flipped scenarios. I have much more sympathy for him now... I was stunned. Literally 7 out of my 8 sections contained levels of minutae that shocked me, that no amount of studying would have prepared me for. 1 block was what I expected. We'll see how it all works out in the end.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. musicman1991

5+ Year Member

Hey make sure you all update us since you'll get your scores soon!

13. RedBlanket

RedBlanket Hi everybody!
    7+ Year Member

Got my score back a couple of days ago. Did fine (-4 on three digit, -2 on two digit from Step 1, still over the mean with a wide enough margin to retain some ego), not significantly different than my Step 1 score in my eyes. And I actually was worried that I was going to fail, or likely get <200. Don't sweat it too much peeps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. medgrrl

medgrrl Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

how long did it take you to get your scores? i can't believe i am such a dork. i am actually relating to abby on er

15. musicman1991

5+ Year Member

I think they are mailed on the 4th Wednesday following your test (all the exams from that week are mailed on that day) from Philadelphia. Correct me if I'm wrong. Of course it could take longer if there is some technical holdup.

Thanks for the update Redblanket. Congrats on not failing!

16. Crimson&Clover

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    is qbank really worthless while studying for step 2?? i've been using it for a few weeks now, and i'm not sure if i should continue with it or switch strategies...any input would be greatly appreciated :confused:

17. musicman1991

5+ Year Member

I found Q-bank helpful, but don't expect it to cover the breadth of the material.

18. sean wilson

Removed

" can't believe i am such a dork. i am actually relating to abby on er"

I know the feeling. Honest to God, it seems like some kind of evil joke for those of us who took it too late to retake before intern year starts.

Some programs won't let you start without, and if I cannot, I'll lose my anesthesiology residency, too.

That would be a bit too much for me, given my $200k debt. I think I'll probably kill myself if that comes to pass.

19. musicman1991

5+ Year Member

Relax Sean, don't joke like that!

I think if you fail they will likely put your vacation time up front and elective up front. Which will make the rest of your year suck suck suck so bad. Don't forget, they need you to do scutwork as much as you need them. Again, please post the good word when it comes folks!

20. Square Pants

Square Pants HyperMegaGlobalCompu .net
    7+ Year Member

I agree... the level of minutia was outrageous.
    I felt like 30% of the questions were:
    35 year old male present with fever, malaise, and non-specific symptoms.
    You treat him and 10 days later he comes back complaining of a headache.
    What is the mechanism by which the drug you administered cause the pt's headache?

A) Type IV hypersensitivty rxn
    B) 5-alpha-deoxy-blubbinase deficiency in neutrophils
    C) Herpes Simplex
    D) Cocaine abuse
    E) Intermittant IgA deficiency with superimposed sickle cell trait

I hope I passed!

21. musicman1991

5+ Year Member

well if you thought 70% of the test was cake you should be fine! Thanks for posting though.

22. Square Pants

7+ Year Member

No way! 30% were theoretically IMPOSSIBLE to answer. The other 70% only required Osler level knowledge.
    I have Dr Nick Riveria level knowledge, so I am hoping for a pass.

23. musicman1991

5+ Year Member

Yeah I agree with that. 1/3 was straightforward. 1/3 required Osler knowledge and 1/3 was absolute BS

24. musicman1991

5+ Year Member

Anyone else receive scores this week to correlate with your feelings?

25. sean wilson

Removed

230/93

Got scores this week. Thought I didn't know more than five of the questions. Still dazed.

26. SuFiBB

SuFiBB Member
    7+ Year Member

good work sean
    I took step 2 mid march and immediately after the test I posted on studentdoctor.net that the test was impossible and harder than any of the qbanks. I was pi$$ed because I prepared big time for the test and I was so sure I failed it that I started re-studying for the test to take in mid-may which would have been the earliest I could have taken it. I read in previous posts that a lot of people feel the same degree of uncertainty after they take the test so that gave me some degree of hope. I was still delighted when I got my score of 211. This may not be good for some of you out there but for me I thought I failed and so I was delighted. this was even better than my step 1. So for those of you who think you bombed just wait until the scores come back because I am sure that most people have that people and that they curve the score accordingly. its light for most questions you answer right there is still that doubts that lingers for the 4 weeks. of note I took my test on a tuesday and got my score back on the 4th friday thereafter (3 weeks plus 3 days after my test). yeah i think they send out the scores the wednesday 3 weeks after the test but I am not sure. for all of those with the doubt and have not gotten the scores back yet, hang in there and realize there is no need to make that pre-emptive call to your program director asking about the policy of failed step 2 in being allowed to start residency. wait until you get your scores back if you can. hang in there and good luck :)

27. musicman1991

5+ Year Member

hey congrats to you guys. I'd be mucho happy with a 211. I just need to pass!

I guess I'll look forward to mine next week!! They mail from Philly so in philly we usually get on thursday but NJ, NYC on Friday, and the rest??

28. musicman1991

5+ Year Member

GOT MY SCORE TODAY!!! Passed with 252/99!!!!

Can't freakin believe it... I don't think I'm a neurotic med student, that test was freakin hard!

Moral of story. You can feel like crap after the test, but it doesn't mean much. Maybe I learned something in med school after all. I never got over 80% on the shelf exams though.

29. joaquin13

joaquin13 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Can someone help me out on which one they recommend? I am taking step 2 at end of Aug and need to decide on one or the other? Please help!!

30. Legion560

Legion560 Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

252/99 after a couple weeks of gloom and doom about your step 2, and you say youre NOT neurotic :) jk. Awesome job! Probably feels great to end medical school on a high note.

31. musicman1991

5+ Year Member

I deserve that. My friends and family are all saying I told you so. I have a fear of tests because I bombed so many shelf exams in med school. I'm not sure why I didn't do better!

As for doing well on Step 2, the best thing is that
    1) I don't have to take that test again
    2) I think I have high confidence going into my internship that I deserve my MD!

But anyways, I would use Q-bank. However, I didn't find Q-bank to be worth it either. You could get by using NMS and other question books. Q-bank Step 2 is not the secret. Less questions and many are repeats.

As far as material goes - Boards and Wards and First Aid, I did it all in 2 weeks.

32. Square Pants

7+ Year Member

congratulations musicman. That is an outstanding score. I'd be happy with 40pts less than that!

So since I feel sh*tty about my step2, does that mean I'll get >240 too??

33. musicman1991

5+ Year Member

Trust me I was suprised. I wanted a 190 honestly (or whatever the passing was). I think if you are a US Senior you are unlikely to fail (only 5% do). I guess we've established that you can end up with a great score and still feel bad about the test. Keep us updated.

34. lemmon peel

lemmon peel New Member

Just took step II and feel like I failed it. Unlike step I, there were a lot of repetitive questions on the same or similar topics. When I took step I, the blocks got progressive harder. But step II just seemed more random in terms of difficulty. Does anyone have similar experience? Is step II in the adaptive format now so the difficulty is based on how you perform on the block before? Just praying for a passing score. Congratulations to those who did.

35. musicman1991

5+ Year Member

Hey man, it should be evident that many people feel that way including myself - and I ended up with a great score. You should be fine too.

I'm not sure about the adaptive difficulty of the test. That would be interesting. God, what a painful strategy. Say you do ok on Block 1, then end up with bone-crushing 7 other blocks.

36. Square Pants

7+ Year Member

227/92

Not bad, considering I thought I failed. Beat the average by a bit anyway. I wish I had more confidence in myself though... I would have enjoyed the last 4 weeks a lot more if I knew I passed.

Improved quite a bit from my step 1 too :cool:

37. bankingdom

bankingdom Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Got my scores back... 221/90 (national avg was 210 with 23 sd). Kinda dissapointed....oh well, can't change the past....

Did kaplan qbank avg'd around 69-72ish

Did only 5-10% of usmle world, avg'd around 56%ish....

510 on nbme test

Good luck to all!

38. Square Pants

7+ Year Member

dude, you beat the mean. Testing better than 50% of your classmates is not something to be ashamed about.

39. nikkile

nikkile Junior Member

Can you tell the q bank score that you were getting before you took step 2 and what you finally got on the test? No one seems to have that info available.

40. SuFiBB

SuFiBB Member
    7+ Year Member

68-68% qbank
    470 nbme
    65% usmleworld
    211 final score

41. Square Pants

7+ Year Member

Personally I wouldn't read too much into these correlations, but whatever.
    I only used USMLEWORLD as my Q-Bank.

When I first started, I was getting in the 25% range. Yeah, that's right, ~25%. One test I achieved a spectacular 18%.

What these ?'s helped me most with was my timing. Step 2 is #[email protected]@# long!! Once I got my timing down, I was getting 60%-65% pretty consistently. I think USMLEWORLD depicted the difficulty and length of each ? pretty accurately.

I read all answers (even the ones I got right) after each exam. That helped too.

42. JKP

JKP Black Cloud
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just wondering how much people paid for Kaplan's Qbank and Qreview. At my school they're charging $1100 and $1399, respectively. Does this sound right?! Is it worth it? Were they helpful for shelfs? And what other alternatives are there out there?

Thanks in advance! :luck:

43. MeaCulpa

MeaCulpa Run and do not grow weary
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    whats the link to usmleworld and what books would you recommend and how would you recommend to study?
    I know a lot of you are probably thinking there is no way to study for this thing, but if you had to come up with someway anyway how would you recommend to study?

44. Hercules

Hercules Son of Zeus
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician