Took the DAT today, A little confused!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.E

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the DAT today. I received an AA of 17 and a science average of 18. On the PAT I received a 16, which surprised me because I was scoring much higher on practice exams. My only concern is the score that I got on QR section, in which I only scored a 13. Will this affect my chances of getting an interview? Or do the school look more at the overall average.

My stats are as follows: My science GPA is around 2.9 and my overall GPA is a 3.45. What do the SDNers think? Oh, and I have already applied to 14 schools.

Members don't see this ad.

well, it depends on the school. some schools will automatically toss your app out b/c of that 13. some schools look at your overall score. judging by your score and gpa, u might get in, but it's kinda tough. depending on which schools you apply to, or if you're a minority.

the real pat section is tougher than the practices, it's no surprise u scored lower there.

Mr.E said:
I took the DAT today. I received an AA of 17 and a science average of 18. On the PAT I received a 16, which surprised me because I was scoring much higher on practice exams. My only concern is the score that I got on QR section, in which I only scored a 13. Will this affect my chances of getting an interview? Or do the school look more at the overall average.

My stats are as follows: My science GPA is around 2.9 and my overall GPA is a 3.45. What do the SDNers think? Oh, and I have already applied to 14 schools.

I think it will affect your chances, to be quit honest. Call around, try getting hold of the admission's director. Get her/his opinion. GPA wise I am with you. I think it's more then likely that you will have to retake teh DAT. Any how that's my opionion, only the admissions people can give you the real deal. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for you replies. The math section killed me. I think I got all the problems correct that I was able to complete, but I think I was only able to complete something like thirteen problems. With the exception of the stupid maths section I was please with the results. So, it looks like I will be subjecting myself to another three months of late night studying and excruciating mental torture to prepare for the DAT.

But, I do have another question. Assuming I take the test over again, how will the school factor this in? Will they evaluate my application before then, or will it remain on hold until I retake the test three months later and resend my scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mr.E said:
Thanks everyone for you replies. The math section killed me. I think I got all the problems correct that I was able to complete, but I think I was only able to complete something like thirteen problems. With the exception of the stupid maths section I was please with the results. So, it looks like I will be subjecting myself to another three months of late night studying and excruciating mental torture to prepare for the DAT.

But, I do have another question. Assuming I take the test over again, how will the school factor this in? Will they evaluate my application before then, or will it remain on hold until I retake the test three months later and resend my scores?

your chances are mediocre, that sci gpa is no good, and your dat scores are meh at best.

phremius said:
your chances are mediocre, that sci gpa is no good, and your dat scores are meh at best.

Harsh but true. If you really want to get into dental school, this is only an obstacle for you. If you get into the 20s on most scores im sure you will get into some schools. Obviously you can slip in with less if you are fortunate but im just saying if you want to have a solid chance of getting in, push your scores to 20 -it wont necessarily be easy but most things in life arent.

Youve already applied for this cycle so see how it goes. You have to wait 90 days to take it again...if you dont get in with your current score, it will be too late to apply your new score for this cycle and you will prob have to wait till next year. Theres probabily a miniscule chance you can take the DAT in 3 months and apply it for this cycle.

This is all my opinion.

Before you send you money to the schools check out their admissions info, some schools have a minimum score you need to even apply. For example, Tufts wants to see a 15 or better to even be considered.

Then think, if most schools consider 18 or above a competitive score where your 13 stands. Even Howard has 16 as the average score.

Good luck on your future DAT, becuase without knowing/sleeping with the Dean you will have to retake.

Before you send you money to the schools check out their admissions info, some schools have a minimum score you need to even apply. For example, Tufts wants to see a 15 or better to even be considered.

Then think, if most schools consider 18 or above a competitive score where your 13 stands. Even Howard has 16 as the average score.

Good luck on your future DAT, becuase without knowing/sleeping with the Dean you will have to retake.

i agree. u should retake the dat's. w/ math.. i suggest skipping the word problems, and doing the easier ones first. the purpose is to answer as many problems as possible.

Yeh, I will be contacting the schools that I applied to an seeing what they think about the score, whether they consider the individual scores or the total AA and PAT score (which I am not all that unhappy with). From the looks of it, I will be taking the DAT again in late January. Again, thank you all for your comments.

Mr.E said:
Yeh, I will be contacting the schools that I applied to an seeing what they think about the score, whether they consider the individual scores or the total AA and PAT score (which I am not all that unhappy with). From the looks of it, I will be taking the DAT again in late January. Again, thank you all for your comments.

Hey I have scores similar to yours and I have 3 interview. A lot of people on this site have very he scores which are not the scope of all dental school applicants. I did bad in the QR section with a 12. Just see how this cycle goes, you may luck out.

Mr.E said:

Hey I have scores similar to yours and I have 3 interview. A lot of people on this site have very high scores which are not the scope of all dental school applicants. I did bad in the QR section with a 12 and my science GPA is a little higher and my GPA is a little lower than yours. Just see how this cycle goes, you may luck out.

realtalk said:
Hey I have scores similar to yours and I have 3 interview. A lot of people on this site have very high scores which are not the scope of all dental school applicants. I did bad in the QR section with a 12 and my science GPA is a little higher and my GPA is a little lower than yours. Just see how this cycle goes, you may luck out.

Thanks for the encouragement. Did any of your interviewer ask about the scores? Where did you interview? And, How do you think the interviews went?

Some of the schools that I contacted told me that one low scores will not work against me. I am still planning on taking the test over again, but considering that I already paid for the application and stuff, I am going to ride out this cycle with high hopes and realistic expectations. Thanks for the encouragement.

Mr.E said:
Thanks for the encouragement. Did any of your interviewer ask about the scores? Where did you interview? And, How do you think the interviews went?

Some of the schools that I contacted told me that one low scores will not work against me. I am still planning on taking the test over again, but considering that I already paid for the application and stuff, I am going to ride out this cycle with high hopes and realistic expectations. Thanks for the encouragement.

I have interviews at Baylor, Tufts, Boston,so far were did you apply to. I think once you get the interview itjs all fair game. I have only been to one of the three and they didn't really ask about my scores, I think my interview went very well. So I hope my experience this cycle helps you out PM me if you have anymore questions

syn_apse said:

:smuggrin: