Took the OAT today!!!

fluffinski08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm so thrilled to be done with the test! Here are my scores on the real test and the opted sample test:

Actual Test Opted Test
Biology 360 330
Gen Chem 330 330
Organic 390 350
Physics 370 330
QR 360 350
RC 280 :( 340
TS 370 340
AA 350 340

I felt the Biology section on the opted sample test was easier than on the real test, but I somehow did better on the actual test. All the other science subjects were the same as those on the opted in terms of difficulty. I think the only reason why I did a lot better on the actual test is because of the way the scores are scaled. It really works in your advantage, so don't worry too much about that. After reading messages on this forum and talking to a couple of people, I knew that the RC section would be more challenging on the actual test, so I was most worried about that section. Unfortunately, I didn't do as well as I had hoped, but hopefully the schools I apply to won't emphasize that too much. If it's any consolation, I was pretty nervous going into this test, and I don't have the greatest skills when it comes to taking standardized tests, but i managed to get decent scores overall. I know a lot of others have said this already, but the actual test is really much like the opted sample test with a nice curve at the end!!

FYI: I used MCAT material for the most part but also the DAT book for the biology and gen chem sections. The Kaplan or Princeton Review AP Biology book was also useful. I took practice tests in the Kaplan OAT 2006-2007 book as well as from TopScore. Good luck to everyone!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Wow our scores are almost identical. I too received a 280 in RC and its my lowest score. 360 TS 350 AA. When I got the results I was pretty happy but now I am starting to worry because apparently some schools won't even look at you if you have below a 300 in anything...

I was just wondering where you are applying and if you have any concerns like I do. Hopefully you say something positive to boost my confidence a bit. :hardy:

Good job! I have a question or two for you, if that's okay. How long did you study for and once you heard that the RC was going to be hard, how did you try and improve your RC skills and prepare for that section? Thanks!! :)

I studied for about 2 months, 3-4 hours each day on average. The last two weeks, I studied twice as much (because I was getting more nervous). I didn't hear about the RC section being more tough until only a few days before I took the test, so I didn't have much time to prepare for it. I'm not sure how one would prepare for that test other than taking as many practice RC tests as possible. For some reason, the practice RC sections in the Kaplan book and TopScore are easier than on the real test. After reading other people's actual and practice test scores, it seems that most people are getting at least 40 points lower in the actual RC section than on the real test. Everyone's different though so it's hard to tell. I would think that if you are receiving a pretty high score in that section right now, you'll definitely get above a 300 on the real test. This is just my opinion. I hope that helps! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey abonk2,

I felt pretty concerned about that one score being too low, so I called some schools today. I’m not sure where you want to go, but I’m pretty much willing to go almost anywhere. UAB, NOVA, ICO, IU, NECO, PCO, and SCO all said I should give it a try since my other scores are pretty good and I have a decent gpa. NECO, NOVA, and I think PCO said they definitely recommend at least a 300, but they also consider the scores overall. I’m starting to feel a little more confident now, and I hope this info can boost yours!!

Yeah right now I am interested in OSU and ICO. I talked to an admissions rep from OSU and IU and he said that I shouldn't retake it because you have to take all the sections over again and the rest of them were looking good. idk I sent in my app to OSU so hopefully I can get an interview soon!:rolleyes: