Toothpaste cancer alert...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/articles/17956139?source=Evening Standard&ct=5

"Dozens of toothpastes sold at supermarkets are at the centre of a cancer alert today.

Anti-bacterial cleaning products, including dishwashing liquid and handwash, are also affected.

Researchers have discovered that triclosan, a chemical in the products, can react with water to produce chloroform gas. If inhaled in large enough quantities, chloroform can cause depression, liver problems and, in some cases, cancer...."

Check out the link for the entire text.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
toofache32 said:
...to clean their dentures...
but I thought that was Baking Soda? :confused: or they used it for baking! :D

my toothpaste contains triclosan..... :eek:

What hand detergents contain triclosan? Never thought it was in anything but toothpaste.

drPheta said:
What hand detergents contain triclosan? Never thought it was in anything but toothpaste.

a lot of the face washes like "clean and clear" contain triclosan

yeah, i just checked, my toothpaste contains it too (Colgate total). and I am allergic to Crest toothpastes. guess I'm screwed!

drPheta said:

I believe Triclosan is an antibacterial that is in numerous facial cleansers as well an acne medications.

Biogirl361 said:
yeah, i just checked, my toothpaste contains it too (Colgate total). and I am allergic to Crest toothpastes. guess I'm screwed!

Dumb question...just wondering what kind of reaction you have toward Crest toothpastes??? Haven't heard of people being allergic to a certain kind of toothpaste before, is it a particular ingredient?

AUTigers said:
Dumb question...just wondering what kind of reaction you have toward Crest toothpastes??? Haven't heard of people being allergic to a certain kind of toothpaste before, is it a particular ingredient?

I have no idea what ingredient it is, but every time I use a Crest brand toothpaste I break out in cold sores around the corners of my mouth. My dentist always gives me those little crest sample toothpastes and i forget and use it, and sure enough if i continue to forget and use it for more than 2-3 days I will have a cold sore. it sucks too cause I want to try all those neat little flavors they came out with :(
I told the hygienist about this once and asked if they had any colgates they could give me instead. She said yes and that she has heard of the same thing happening to a few other people before.
I have never noticed a reaction to any other brands I have tried. I will probably switch to rembrandt next time i buy toothpaste, unless I find a triclosan-free colgate ;) I can't wait until science discovers that EVERYTHING gives you cancer eventually, and then I won't be able to use ANY products :oops: