Quantcast

Top 10 med schools requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorSwagger

Baller wit dat swagger
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
As far as acceptance goes, what is the difference between Jhon Hopkins (#3) and Dartmouth or another school ranking as top 30 or 40?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

piii

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Only true geniuses go to the best schools like Hopkins. All the other students that get into low tier schools like Dartmouth are on par with DO and Caribbean students.

Reactions: 18 users

greenturtle22

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Only true geniuses go to the best schools like Hopkins. All the other students that get into low tier schools like Dartmouth are on par with DO and Caribbean students.
This sounds right. I can't even begin to imagine what kinds of horrible students go to state schools...

Reactions: 4 users

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can Confirm, in all liklihood going to a state school- Am idiot.

Reactions: 14 users

Dr.Sticks

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Name and research
Ta-da...

Not a single patient will give a s word about where you got the M.D from by the way.
A doc is a doc to them.

Reactions: 1 user

Toutie

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As far as acceptance goes, what is the difference between Jhon Hopkins (#3) and Dartmouth or another school r anking as top 30 or 40?

Difference is the people accepted to Johns Hopkins know how to spell it. ;)

Reactions: 6 users

DoctorSwagger

Baller wit dat swagger
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Difference is the people accepted to Johns Hopkins know how to spell it. ;)

Lol typo.I'm not saying I want to drown in debt, just wondering what the difference is. Also how big of a difference will going into johns Hopkins make when going into a competitive residency when compared to a state school

begoood95

The Friendly Gunner™
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lol typo.I'm not saying I want to drown in debt, just wondering what the difference is. Also how big of a difference will going into johns Hopkins make when going into a competitive residency when compared to a state school

I would ask you to think about this question: are many of the undergraduate students accepted at Harvard, Yale, Hopkins, and etc., from Ivies because they simply look at the name and think, "S/he went to X Ivy League...They're in!" or are top 10-20 undergraduate programs simply better at creating competitive students, which are in turn more sought after in the medical school admissions process? I think the answer is the latter.

In the same way, if you want to get into a competitive residency (I'm saying this as an undergraduate student, who obviously doesn't have much experience in this realm), I would think you need to be... competitive. Will it help if you get into a medical school that is "top 10"? Of course it will, and that's because presumably they have many more resources to offer you such that you become a competitive student. However, if you "only" get into Dartmouth vs. Hopkins, are you still going to have a chance at competitive residencies? I would think so, as long as you are competitive.

So to answer your question, in reality, I don't think it will make that much of a difference. Going to Harvard is going to be different than going to X state school, and going to X state school is going to be different than any other university as well. It's what you make of it, and as long as you take advantage of the resources offered to you, I think you'll be just fine.

Reactions: 1 users

Holmwood

WOW
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Phew, thank the heavens I'm not competitive enough to make that kind of decision.

I just go wherever they take me. Dogs can't choose their masters. :hilarious:

studentdocftw

M4
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Phew, thank the heavens I'm not competitive enough to make that kind of decision.

I just go wherever they take me. Dogs can't choose their masters. :hilarious:

Beggars can't be choosy...I wonder what other permutations exist for that concept.

On a side note, Trinity School of Medicine has an ad on the bottom of my page..I guess they would be the beggar/dog in this situation.

Reactions: 1 users

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would ask you to think about this question: are many of the undergraduate students accepted at Harvard, Yale, Hopkins, and etc., from Ivies because they simply look at the name and think, "S/he went to X Ivy League...They're in!" or are top 10-20 undergraduate programs simply better at creating competitive students, which are in turn more sought after in the medical school admissions process? I think the answer is the latter.

In the same way, if you want to get into a competitive residency (I'm saying this as an undergraduate student, who obviously doesn't have much experience in this realm), I would think you need to be... competitive. Will it help if you get into a medical school that is "top 10"? Of course it will, and that's because presumably they have many more resources to offer you such that you become a competitive student. However, if you "only" get into Dartmouth vs. Hopkins, are you still going to have a chance at competitive residencies? I would think so, as long as you are competitive.

So to answer your question, in reality, I don't think it will make that much of a difference. Going to Harvard is going to be different than going to X state school, and going to X state school is going to be different than any other university as well. It's what you make of it, and as long as you take advantage of the resources offered to you, I think you'll be just fine.

Also realize that top residencies, especially for those desiring academia, are more competitive than medical school. This can best be shown by the change in time to graduation in medical school. Currently about 82% of matriculants graduate in 4 years jumping to 94% in 5 years (97% in 8 years accounting for dual degrees). It is thought that at least half of the 12% difference between 4 and 5 years are students spending an extra year in research or other projects to make themselves more competitive for residency. That equals to about 1200 or more US medical "super" seniors now going after slots

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

BTW, for half the matriculants this is a mute question as they only receive a single offer of acceptance

efle

not an elf
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
are many of the undergraduate students accepted at Harvard, Yale, Hopkins, and etc., from Ivies because they simply look at the name and think, "S/he went to X Ivy League...They're in!"or are top 10-20 undergraduate programs simply better at creating competitive students, which are in turn more sought after in the medical school admissions process? I think the answer is the latter.
I think the answer is primarily neither of those two options, it's that there is a huge selection bias about the crowds getting admitted to top colleges and med schools.

Let's say you're the typical very bright, very hardworking person capable of a Top 10 MD admit, with near perfect college grades, an MCAT in the top few percent, and productivity and leadership in your ECs.

Most likely you were also very bright and hardworking in high school and got into a top undergrad.

That is, in my opinion, the biggest reason why Top 20s make up a huge majority of interviewed candidates at top med schools. In part yes, top med schools love famous undergrads, and in part yes, those undergrads have great resources for ECs. But mostly, its because people who are that impressive in college were already standouts in high school.

As far as acceptance goes, what is the difference between Jhon Hopkins (#3) and Dartmouth or another school ranking as top 30 or 40?
The big overall differences between top 10-20 and the next few dozen:

• Stats (MCAT in particular)
  • Emphasis on research. These schools usually have either required or widely participated in research during the MD and tend to feed people into academic centers for residency.
  • Insane levels of competition among a big crowd of people satisfying the above two. Think about the crowd of people applying to Hopkins and then consider that only 1 per 8-10 will even get interviewed. There are occasionally outliers that will sweep the top with interviews and admits (e.g. an 80+ LizzyM URM Rhodes scholar comes to mind) but that is rare. It's not uncommon to see a solid applicant get admitted to one school while not even interviewed by peers, or offered full ride merit packages to one place while not admitted to similar places.
Basically you can think of it like undergrad admissions, except admit rates are no longer a very useful metric (that would put Drexel ahead of Harvard). You need the scores, the grades, distinguishment/high quality in your ECs, and a little bit of random luck in who happens to decide on your app at certain places.

y123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Top schools care about the prestige and selectivity of your alma mater and ECs a lot more than middle-tier schools.

DoctorSwagger

Baller wit dat swagger
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay thanks for the response guys, I'm just curious that's all

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just one last note on JHU. They do get such a high caliber pool of applicants that they have a highly process-driven, holistic review protocol. In this case, it is to keep adcom members from picking and their favorite research-project applicant and to make sure they get applicants with social/people skills from this heavily, research-centric pool. they want their acceptees to be both outstanding researchers as well as outstanding clinical docs

A

AnatomyGrey12

Well for starters they don't spell it Jhon Hopkins...

Dang someone beat me to it. Maybe I should read all the responses

Reactions: 2 users