You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
India and South Asia Top 10 Medical Schools in India?
Started by RexKD
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
RexKD said:What are considered to be the top 10 medical schools in India?
The rankings for medical colleges are:
1 - All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Delhi
2 - Bangalore Medical College, Bangalore
3 - Kasturba Medical College, Manipal
4 - Madras Medical College, Chennai
5 - Christian Medical College, Vellore
6 - Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
7 - St John's Medical College, Bangalore
8 - Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad
9 - JIPMER, Pondicherry
10 - Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi
http://www.indiaeducation.info/usefullinks/topcolleges1.htm#MEDICINE**
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I dunno.....most of the NRI's are at MANIPAL....I know.......that much.....RexKD said:Are most of the IMG's in the United States from these 10 schools?

and also from SRMC 🙂meetlife said:I dunno.....most of the NRI's are at MANIPAL....I know.......that much.....![]()
IMGs from India come from everywhere. Don't fret about the rankings. I don't think they mean too much. Unless you go to AIIMS or a select few recognized schools (I actually had an IM PD list off to me what he thought were the top 5 schools in India, and say he wouldn't even interview an IMG unless they were from those schools ... 99 on the MLEs or not), it won't matter. No one knows Indian schools. And unfortunately, it is known that not all Indian schools are equal. that some schools are as good or better than US schools, and others are not. If you get great scores, you can come from any med school and make it somewhere in the US.
meetlife said:I dunno.....most of the NRI's are at MANIPAL....I know.......that much.....![]()
All the NRIs are there- because they give Luxurious Comfortable Medical degrees and you can get admissions on your money- no much to work about the ranks!! so if you´re speakin about the college for Outcome- Manipal is no choice!
DrGarfield said:All the NRIs are there- because they give Luxurious Comfortable Medical degrees and you can get admissions on your money- no much to work about the ranks!! so if you´re speakin about the college for Outcome- Manipal is no choice!
jealous because your school isn't in the rankings?
For the record, the merit students in Manipal are quite good ... the NRIs, well, like I've said before, some are great, the rest, well, if they pass, they are competent enough. Almost everyone from my class who took the MLEs got >95. They matched at good university programs like Baylor (Houston), U. Wisconson, Case Western (U. Hospitals), Cleveland Clinic, among others. Many many are in the UK, Australia, or even Canada (which is almost impossible to get). So say what you want, but we all seem to do ok in the end.
As for the rankings, Manipal ranks so high because of the facilities and faculty. All that NRI money gives a great hospital. With no corruption. The teaching is great. The faculty are always around, always teaching. They are not allowed to have a private clinic on the side.
That´s wat i am sayin!
Manipal rocks because it´s got Money- the Rank students are oughtta be super everywhere- but the mass gives the identity! NRIs always manage to get seats somewhere- getting in Canada is not at all difficult- all you need is right references! and that´s just wat people from high named places get.
I am from BJ Medical college Ahmedabad- which is one of the oldest and largest ones in India!
Ya- i am sorry that my college is not on the rank list- but I KNOW why it is not! I don´t say I am Best- but no place can be ranked just because it has got the Structure- Material matters!
We have the Civil Hospital Ahmedabad that has over 6 lac patients in a year!!!!
don´t believe the figures? Find out for yourself!
Civil Hospital Ahmedabad
Manipal rocks because it´s got Money- the Rank students are oughtta be super everywhere- but the mass gives the identity! NRIs always manage to get seats somewhere- getting in Canada is not at all difficult- all you need is right references! and that´s just wat people from high named places get.
I am from BJ Medical college Ahmedabad- which is one of the oldest and largest ones in India!
Ya- i am sorry that my college is not on the rank list- but I KNOW why it is not! I don´t say I am Best- but no place can be ranked just because it has got the Structure- Material matters!
We have the Civil Hospital Ahmedabad that has over 6 lac patients in a year!!!!
don´t believe the figures? Find out for yourself!Civil Hospital Ahmedabad
Hey...look at the rankings in PG exams.....Manipal students topped in ALL India......in KCET.........I dunno abt others....but if I tell people at my university that I am from Manipal...they know about it.....besides.....DrGarfield said:All the NRIs are there- because they give Luxurious Comfortable Medical degrees and you can get admissions on your money- no much to work about the ranks!! so if you´re speakin about the college for Outcome- Manipal is no choice!
1.you join Manipal-----the very first day you have schedule of classes,exams and vacation with u.
2.Three sessional exams every year.
3.Weekly tests for all subjects.
4.Chance to work in field of ur choice during internship.
5.Different campuses-Mangalore
Manipal
Nepal
Malaysia
Sikkim.
6.Affliations with US universities.....
meetlife said:Hey...look at the rankings in PG exams.....Manipal students topped in ALL India......in KCET.........I dunno abt others....but if I tell people at my university that I am from Manipal...they know about it.....besides.....
1.you join Manipal-----the very first day you have schedule of classes,exams and vacation with u.
2.Three sessional exams every year.
3.Weekly tests for all subjects.
4.Chance to work in field of ur choice during internship.
5.Different campuses-Mangalore
Manipal
Nepal
Malaysia
Sikkim.
6.Affliations with US universities.....
You deserve what you 'AFFORD!!!!
I did my medical studies at the fees of 700 Rupees a year!! You gotta compare the pluses and minuses of all the places!
You can not compare wheather the food of a punjabi dhaba is better or that of the Taj Mumbai!!
I love any kind of punjabi food over any other kind of food on this earth......DrGarfield said:You deserve what you 'AFFORD!!!!
I did my medical studies at the fees of 700 Rupees a year!! You gotta compare the pluses and minuses of all the places!
You can not compare wheather the food of a punjabi dhaba is better or that of the Taj Mumbai!!
See we were talking why is MANIPAL good for NRI's.....so I mentioned those things........
ya- i reckon!
if i don't get accepted to pharmacy school this year..i'm looking into med schools in india.
just wondering?how does their system exactly work? do you end up getting a mbbs or md degree to practise in US ?
i looked on the i-net for any official pages for medical schools in india where they have seats for nri's but did'nt really find any thing.
just wondering?how does their system exactly work? do you end up getting a mbbs or md degree to practise in US ?
i looked on the i-net for any official pages for medical schools in india where they have seats for nri's but did'nt really find any thing.
meetlife said:Hey...look at the rankings in PG exams.....Manipal students topped in ALL India......in KCET.........I dunno abt others....but if I tell people at my university that I am from Manipal...they know about it.....besides.....
1.you join Manipal-----the very first day you have schedule of classes,exams and vacation with u.
2.Three sessional exams every year.
3.Weekly tests for all subjects.
4.Chance to work in field of ur choice during internship.
5.Different campuses-Mangalore
Manipal
Nepal
Malaysia
Sikkim.
6.Affliations with US universities.....
pharmd2b2009 said:if i don't get accepted to pharmacy school this year..i'm looking into med schools in india.
just wondering?how does their system exactly work? do you end up getting a mbbs or md degree to practise in US ?
i looked on the i-net for any official pages for medical schools in india where they have seats for nri's but did'nt really find any thing.
And for TB 15
The reply I had written you before too in a different thread!
about applications in Manipal- i can´t help you- i don´t know- but about many other things- Here you go!
No financial help for NRIs from Indian Institutes- If someone back there in Canada sponsors you- you hav to find out!
Academic years_
1st year- Anatomy, Boichemistry, Physiology, PSM,- 1 year- 2 semesters-not many leaves- one month off after the university exams of 1st yr.
2nd yr.- pathology, pharmacology, forensic medicine, microbiology- with clinical postings! 1.5 years- 3 semesters- 1 uni exam! relatively relaxed time of life
3rd yr.- medicine, surgery, Ob Gy, Subspecialities and all clinicals! 2 years- 4 semesters- 2 uni exams. with concurrent clinical postings- most stressful part!
this makes the 4.5 years and then 1 year of Clinical Rotations- called Internship
You can get internship in anyplace in the world at a recognized hospital by taking a prior permission from your college for 6 months- some colleges allow upto 9 months- but the draw back is that you don´t get paid a buck if you get these internship anywhere else then your own college hospital!! usually atleast 3 months and someplaces 6 months are compulsory to be done at the college hospital!
No professors here do any Summer research you can help in usually- except at some good institutes- and you can help them with that for development of yur career- but if you are dreamin about making some pocket money by getting paid for assisting research- go fish!
Sports- yes- there is some spoorts in indian medical college! I repeat- SOME!!
Student unions in Medical colleges usually don´t survive- there are some at many colleges- but they don´t have much to say or do except organizing annual function and putting up a board with the names of the office bearers!
If you want to work in USA and have studied in Ìndia- you HAVE to do write USMLE all 3 parts! and even after that you can land upon Internal medicine or Anesthesiology usually- not surgical branches! and yes- you have to wait for the left over seats!
LAST WORDs-- DON´T EVEN DREAM THAT MEDICINE IN INDIA IS EASIER THING TO DO THAN ENGINEERING IN ANY CORNER OF THE WORLD!!!
Medicine in India is one of the most stressful study- and you wont have much time to enjoy or do other things you like- or develop your personal interests! Usually!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DrGarfield said:All the NRIs are there- because they give Luxurious Comfortable Medical degrees and you can get admissions on your money- no much to work about the ranks!! so if you´re speakin about the college for Outcome- Manipal is no choice!
Well I remember one of my friends ridiculing Manipal. He told me manipal is actually Money Pal and nothin more. Yes offcourse he was reacting to India Today Medical schools ranking which placed money pal on 5th position. How on earth they could place money pal ahead of Seth GS Med. Coll. I still wondering. Well, I accept that Manipal has got good infrastructure compared to other government colleges but is it enough to put it ahead of many well established and reputed medical colleges many of which have legacy of more than hundred years. I dont know any average medical student in India would opt for manipal over other government medical colleges if the have an option.
shardul said:Well I remember one of my friends ridiculing Manipal. He told me manipal is actually Money Pal and nothin more. Yes offcourse he was reacting to India Today Medical schools ranking which placed money pal on 5th position. How on earth they could place money pal ahead of Seth GS Med. Coll. I still wondering. Well, I accept that Manipal has got good infrastructure compared to other government colleges but is it enough to put it ahead of many well established and reputed medical colleges many of which have legacy of more than hundred years. I dont know any average medical student in India would opt for manipal over other government medical colleges if the have an option.
Ya- the place is secured for NRIs and Wealthier Indians who cannot get admissions in other good ones due to their ranks at the junior coll/ high school/ med entrance.
DrGarfield said:Ya- the place is secured for NRIs and Wealthier Indians who cannot get admissions in other good ones due to their ranks at the junior coll/ high school/ med entrance.
👍 
parasiteatwork said:
well, ofcourse- do you find any NRIs at the AIIMS?? or JIPMER??
nopes..u don't find any NRIs in the true sense...one can find ppl who've lived abroad for most of their lives but done their 11th n 12th grades in india and made it to these places...however at both these places there r a few seats reserved for foreign nationals....5/50 in AIIMS...
futuris2kl said:nopes..u don't find any NRIs in the true sense...one can find ppl who've lived abroad for most of their lives but done their 11th n 12th grades in india and made it to these places...however at both these places there r a few seats reserved for foreign nationals....5/50 in AIIMS...
I think ICCR ( indian council for cultural relations) oversees the process. I think these seats generally go to SAARC countries. Am right?
true
shardul said:I think ICCR ( indian council for cultural relations) oversees the process. I think these seats generally go to SAARC countries. Am right?
I know a Malaysian guy at AIIMS. Is that SAARC? I don't think so.
you know there are NRI seats at IIT too, right? I had a girl in my class who got an NRI seat at IIT-Bombay and came to Manipal anyway. When we found this out, we just said why? Go to IIT!
ya- some money can buy even a seat at IIT or IIM!!!!
futuris2kl said:nopes..u don't find any NRIs in the true sense...one can find ppl who've lived abroad for most of their lives but done their 11th n 12th grades in india and made it to these places...however at both these places there r a few seats reserved for foreign nationals....5/50 in AIIMS...
i beg to differ. In fact I know quite a few NRI's who have done rather well in the +2 level and All India entrance and gotten into good colleges. Generally , what u say is true but always there are exceptions......
DrGarfield said:That´s wat i am sayin!
Manipal rocks because it´s got Money- the Rank students are oughtta be super everywhere- but the mass gives the identity! NRIs always manage to get seats somewhere- getting in Canada is not at all difficult- all you need is right references! and that´s just wat people from high named places get.
I am from BJ Medical college Ahmedabad- which is one of the oldest and largest ones in India!
Ya- i am sorry that my college is not on the rank list- but I KNOW why it is not! I don´t say I am Best- but no place can be ranked just because it has got the Structure- Material matters!
We have the Civil Hospital Ahmedabad that has over 6 lac patients in a year!!!!don´t believe the figures? Find out for yourself!
Civil Hospital Ahmedabad
Hey there is something to rejoice for u Garfield!! did u read recent The Week Rankings of indian medical colleges?? they ranked BJMC Ahmedabad 10th. But "money pal" is still no.5!!!!!!!!!!!! I reallly dont get their logic of ranking, They still rate GMC mumbai above GSMC which is not even in top 10 .........now try telling this to a Mumbaiite .........
CMC vellore which has 50% christian reservation is third. 😱 🙁
HAI DONT DREAM INTO THESE GET ADMITTED AT A SUB CAMPOUS AF AN COLLEGE AFFILIATTED TO A AMERICAN COLLEGE IN INDIA AND COMPLETE WITH AN AMERICAN MD' contact [email protected]meetlife said:The rankings for medical colleges are:
1 - All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Delhi
2 - Bangalore Medical College, Bangalore
3 - Kasturba Medical College, Manipal
4 - Madras Medical College, Chennai
5 - Christian Medical College, Vellore
6 - Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
7 - St John's Medical College, Bangalore
8 - Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad
9 - JIPMER, Pondicherry
10 - Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi
http://www.indiaeducation.info/usefullinks/topcolleges1.htm#MEDICINE**
RG
allergic2morons said:CMC vellore which has 50% christian reservation is third. 😱 🙁
CMC is very good. It may have Christian reservation, but what are the reservations at govt. colleges for non-general merit seats? I do research now with people at CMC and they are doing pretty good stuff for India. If this were the US, rankings are all about the research.
allergic2morons said:Hey there is something to rejoice for u Garfield!! did u read recent The Week Rankings of indian medical colleges?? they ranked BJMC Ahmedabad 10th. But "money pal" is still no.5!!!!!!!!!!!! I reallly dont get their logic of ranking, They still rate GMC mumbai above GSMC which is not even in top 10 .........now try telling this to a Mumbaiite .........![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
CMC vellore which has 50% christian reservation is third. 😱 🙁
Good news buddy- Thanks for making my day! Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
retroviridae said:CMC is very good. It may have Christian reservation, but what are the reservations at govt. colleges for non-general merit seats? I do research now with people at CMC and they are doing pretty good stuff for India. If this were the US, rankings are all about the research.
No doubt CMC is good but I feel it shouldnt be rated so high.
As far as reservation is concerned the 50% christian reservation is in addditon to regular constitutional reservations for backward classes and women.
here we are talking about college rankings wrt ug studies not research. then again research shouldnt be only criteria for rankings......and this is india not US....... Can u tell me few research achievements of CMC??
meetlife said:The rankings for medical colleges are:
1 - All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Delhi
2 - Bangalore Medical College, Bangalore
3 - Kasturba Medical College, Manipal
4 - Madras Medical College, Chennai
5 - Christian Medical College, Vellore
6 - Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
7 - St John's Medical College, Bangalore
8 - Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad
9 - JIPMER, Pondicherry
10 - Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi
http://www.indiaeducation.info/usefullinks/topcolleges1.htm#MEDICINE**
Those rankings, my friends, are a joke.......
If you are going by those rankings, i think you are setting up yourself for a big fall....
Bangalore Medical college .....Number 2?.......
If you really want a proper evaluation of medical colleges....Try looking up India Today s education rankings
The only private medical college which figures in that list is Manipal for reasons other than academic excellence...
hey i didnt say that those seats only goes to saarc. They generally go to saarc countries but thats not a hard and fast rule. I think the wards of IFS officials are also eligible to apply for these seatsretroviridae said:I know a Malaysian guy at AIIMS. Is that SAARC? I don't think so.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 5K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K