lsuhockeyplayer

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2005
Status
Hey guys I was wondering what in your opinion is the top 10 most difficult/competitive residencies to get in to. I would assume dermatology, orthopedic surgery, neurosurgery would be up there but what would things like oncology, cardiology, or cardio-thorasic surgery be. Those three I am most interested however I would still like to know some of the other ones.

Thanks

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
lsuhockeyplayer said:
Hey guys I was wondering what in your opinion is the top 10 most difficult/competitive residencies to get in to. I would assume dermatology, orthopedic surgery, neurosurgery would be up there but what would things like oncology, cardiology, or cardio-thorasic surgery be. Those three I am most interested however I would still like to know some of the other ones.

Thanks
Well, things like oncology and cardiology are not residencies. They're fellowships. You don't match into cardiology or oncology right out of medical school --- you match into internal medicine and then apply for a fellowship in whatever specialty you want (GI, nephrology, etc.).

15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2001
Status
Non-Student
Number one in difficulty:

Family Medicine at Duke.

Callogician

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Medical Student
UCLAstudent said:
Well, things like oncology and cardiology are not residencies. They're fellowships. You don't match into cardiology or oncology right out of medical school --- you match into internal medicine and then apply for a fellowship in whatever specialty you want (GI, nephrology, etc.).
Cardiothoracic surgery is also a fellowship (after a general surgery residency). Cardiothoracic surgery is not a competitive fellowship because it requries two years of research and three years of clinical work. It's also viewed as a declining field. Cardiology and oncology are competitive fellowships.

The most competitive residencies are dermatology, diagnostic radiology, general surgery, neurosurgery, opthamology, otolaryngology, radiation oncology, plastic surgery, and urology.

Source: http://residency.wustl.edu/medadmin/resweb.nsf/WV/62353A93C5C35CB186256F850071BD86?OpenDocument

I have heard that dermatology, plastic surgery, and radiation oncology are the most competitive.

Pewl

The Dude Abides
10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2005
Hollywood Star Lanes
Status
Attending Physician
Callogician said:
Cardiothoracic surgery is also a fellowship (after a general surgery residency). Cardiothoracic surgery is not a competitive fellowship because it requries two years of research and three years of clinical work. It's also viewed as a declining field. Cardiology and oncology are competitive fellowships.

The most competitive residencies are dermatology, diagnostic radiology, general surgery, neurosurgery, opthamology, otolaryngology, radiation oncology, plastic surgery, and urology.

Source: http://residency.wustl.edu/medadmin/resweb.nsf/WV/62353A93C5C35CB186256F850071BD86?OpenDocument

I have heard that dermatology, plastic surgery, and radiation oncology are the most competitive.
freakin' rad onc, why can't it be less desirable so we ordinary folk can get into it?? =P

ablumoon

=)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 28, 2003
Visit site
Status
What someone told me, and I've heard before:
R.O.A.D. (presumably to a more comfortable, sought-after lifestyle): Radiation Oncology, opthamology, anesthesiology, and dermatology

Blue Dog

Fides et ratio.
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
ablumoon said:
What someone told me, and I've heard before:
R.O.A.D. (presumably to a more comfortable, sought-after lifestyle): Radiation Oncology [?], opthamology, anesthesiology, and dermatology
I always thought the "R" stood for "radiology?"

Now, how 'bout those PIMPF specialties? ;)

MarzMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Callogician said:
................The most competitive residencies are dermatology, diagnostic radiology, general surgery, neurosurgery, opthamology, otolaryngology, radiation oncology, plastic surgery, and urology...................

Was the general surgery supposed to be ortho?

Margaritaville

Wastin' away again...
10+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2006
Status
Post Doc
Panda Bear said:
Number one in difficulty:

Family Medicine at Duke.
Especially now that it's closed. :rolleyes:

smrtmom1

I GOT IN!!!!!
10+ Year Member
May 29, 2006
Texas
www.myspace.com
Status
Other Health Professions Student
One of my good friends and former bosses used to be head of Ophthalmology at UTMB Galveston, and he told me the ROAD thing also..

Margaritaville

Wastin' away again...
10+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2006
Status
Post Doc
smrtmom1 said:
One of my good friends and former bosses used to be head of Ophthalmology at UTMB Galveston, and he told me the ROAD thing also..
Just remember that this sort of thing is cyclical. Today's "ROAD to a comfortable lifestyle" could be tomorrow's "road apple." Be sure you like what you're doing enough to be happy even if things change for the worse at some point. Because they probably will.

MD2b20004

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2003
Visit site
Status
Margaritaville said:
Just remember that this sort of thing is cyclical. Today's "ROAD to a comfortable lifestyle" could be tomorrow's "road apple." Be sure you like what you're doing enough to be happy even if things change for the worse at some point. Because they probably will.
For Now:
1. Derm
2. Neurosurgery
3. Ortho
Other SDNers can fill the rest/contribute from their knowledge.

Sean2tall

Pathology Resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
Indianapolis
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Although I would prefer that Radiology weren't on there, it definitely is. I think, to a good extent, the easy lifestyle is an illusion. Sure, it is not as rough as some fields, but it is getting to be quite busy. A few nurses in the OR have had their eyes light up when I said I wanted to pursue Rad., saying something about how sweet it is and that I should definitely do it. Truth be told, I would think Anesthesia is actually lighter on the workload, although not easy by any means. (Nor any field)

Anyhow, the bottom line is that I wish it weren't so competitive because I actually love the nature of the field. As Margaritaville said, things (business-wise) are almost guaranteed to change.

If you wanted to "buy low" as they say in the stock market, FP might be a good choice :D. I can't say too much about the uber-competitive fields because Radiology is the only one I have paid a lot of attention to, but I think the ones named above are on target.

the alchemist

10+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2005
Health Care City
Status
Resident [Any Field]
there's also ADORE

anesthesiology
dermatology
ophthalmology/ortho
radiology
ENT (and sometimes emergency med)

but that doesn't mean that there rn't others like plastics, urology, etc - basically anything these days that gives u good hours and pay can b considered competitive...and then there r some specialties that 4 some reason r really popular 1 year and then less competitive the next

docmd2010

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2005
Status
i know the op didn't ask for this directly, but don't forget about all the top programs in each respective specialty. For example, I'd be willing to bet that geting into medicine at MGH would probably harder to get into then getting into general surgery at a medium prestiged program.

Callogician

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Medical Student
MarzMD said:
Was the general surgery supposed to be ortho?
Ortho is also supposed to be on that list (see link). General surgery is considered to be competitive as well.

Bojo

10+ Year Member
May 17, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Callogician said:
How is Cardiothoracic surgery a declining field?

Blue Dog

Fides et ratio.
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2006
Status
Attending Physician

DrDarwin

Naturally selected
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2004
Down House
Status
KentW said:
I always thought the "R" stood for "radiology?"

Now, how 'bout those PIMPF specialties? ;)
Rads it is.

Last edited:

thinknofu3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2005
Chicago, IL
Status
Medical Student
I'm not an expert on this by any means (I'm an incoming M1 this fall), but I read on the American College of Surgeon's website that there are more residency spots for people wanting to go into surgery than there are applicants to fill them. I know that doesn't say anything about the quality of the lower-tiered programs, but it's somewhat comforting to know since I want to go into surgery.

amojan99

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2005
Status
I really dont think Neurosurgery should be on this list. Certainly it takes great numbers and LORs and research on top of that, but its got an 85% match rate! That doesnt compare to ortho, rads onc, derm, etc.

Callogician

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Medical Student
amojan99 said:
I really dont think Neurosurgery should be on this list. Certainly it takes great numbers and LORs and research on top of that, but its got an 85% match rate! That doesnt compare to ortho, rads onc, derm, etc.
Match rates:

Neurosurg: 88%
Ortho: 84%
Derm: 75%
rad onc: 81%

Neurosurgery isn't too far off from the specialties you mentioned, and competitiveness is better measured by what it takes to get in than by the percentage who get in.

The problem with these statistics is that there is a lot of self-selection. Students realize that they aren't competitive and subconsciously alter their career goals. People see numbers like 88% and think, "oh...that shouldn't be a problem at all. Med school is 50%." I would imagine that it's worse for things like derm than surgical specialties because so many students go to medical school already confident that they want to become surgeons and won't self-select away from surgical specialties no matter what.

gostudy

Black covfefe. No sugar, no cream
10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
amojan99 said:
There's a little thing called self-selection.

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Exactly. People won't bother applying for the most difficult specialties if they don't have the things necessary (board scores/grades/recommendations/research) to have a good shot at matching.