Top 10 Psychiatric Programs on the East Coast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are the top 10 programs in this geographic region, in terms of competitiveness for acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

In Northeast, Columbia and MGH-McLean appear to be the two biggest name programs. You then also have Cornell, NYU, Penn, JHU, and maybe Harvard Longwood. In the Southeast, you have Emory, UNC, Duke and Medical University of South Carolina.

I don't really think that ranking or competitiveness matter that much in psychiatry.

Thewonderer said:
In Northeast, Columbia and MGH-McLean appear to be the two biggest name programs. You then also have Cornell, NYU, Penn, JHU, and maybe Harvard Longwood. In the Southeast, you have Emory, UNC, Duke and Medical University of South Carolina.

I don't really think that ranking or competitiveness matter that much in psychiatry.

According to U.S. News:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/hosptl/rankings/specreppsyc.htm

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the above replies. specifically, i want to hear opinions regarding what the top 5 programs are in EACH of the following areas:
1. NY/NJ metro area
2. Philadelphia
3. Boston

can anyone reply to the above post?

NY- bellevue(a solid prog)
Philly-UPenn(a little disorganized from resident perspective/strong in research)

Just my opinion, others may disagree...

1. NY/NJ metro area

Highly Competitive
Columbia

Competitive
Cornell
NYU
Sinai School of Medicine

Somewhat Competitive
Einstein
Yale

Less Competitive
St Vincent's
St Luke's-Roosevelt
Lots of other smaller programs in NY/NJ area

2. Philadelphia

Penn

Don't know much about this area.

3. Boston

Highly Competitive
MGH-McLean

Competitive
Harvard Longwood
Cambridge

Somewhat Competitive
BU

Less Competitive
St Elizabeth's
Tufts
Harvard South Shore

Don't know if you are applying soon, but if you haven't already, you may want to search for previous threads on psychiatry programs/interviews (people have commented on specific programs they have visited)...

Also, in case you don't have it, here is a list of the PGY-1 psychiatry programs from the AAMC:
http://www.aamc.org/students/eras/about/psychiatry.pdf

Good luck to you.

willow212 said:
Just my opinion, others may disagree...

1. NY/NJ metro area

Highly Competitive
Columbia

Competitive
Cornell
NYU
Sinai School of Medicine

Somewhat Competitive
Einstein
Yale

Less Competitive
St Vincent's
St Luke's-Roosevelt
Lots of other smaller programs in NY/NJ area

Good luck to you.

How did yale get lumped as "somewhat competitive" when it is ranked above Mt. Sanai & NYU?

Hi prominence,

No prob. Any specific questions about schools I may have interviewed at, feel free to PM me.

yeti00 said:
How did yale get lumped as "somewhat competitive" when it is ranked above Mt. Sanai & NYU?

Hi yeti00,

I am definitely not the expert on these programs, so other people may rank differently. The reason I placed programs as I did was due to my general feel from talking to my advisors, interviewing at different programs, and seeing who went to each program in the past from my school, not by US News rankings. It is very hard to get a sense of programs in general, so my "rankings" are quite subjective, and hope you will take them with a grain of salt.

Probably the best people to talk to about the strength of programs are recent grads who went into psychiatry from your school or advisors/attendings at your school, since they are likely to have better perspective than a recent interviewee like myself.

Best of luck - it's difficult to find a program that is a good fit, but there are many excellent ones out there.