Top Derm Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FattyMcGee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Putting aside the fact that each program has its strengths and weaknesses and the idea that each person should look for different things out of a residency, can anyone post a rough guess at what the "top" derm programs are. I'm not quite sure what I mean by "top" - I would guess that some are good for research and/or getting their grads academic positions while others are known for their clinical training - so maybe there should be two lists of "top" programs? Any info would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

wow...

...where to begin?

wooo said:
wow...

...where to begin?

wooo, did you apply this year??

That is a heck of a question considering that there are many programs (i.e. you ought to apply widely to make sure you have the opportunity to get as many interviews as you can!). First of all you need to remember on your interviews that you are looking for a good fit first and foremost. Sure names are important to some but you need to listen to what your gut tells you on your interviews. After having just gone through all of this I think that if you match anywhere you should be happy that you did so. Nothing is for certain in the derm match at least from my experience.

This question has come up numerous times over the years on the other infamous dermatology board at the link to follow. You can surf through this year's posts and years before to see what people think.

Dermatology Residency Board

Best of luck!
Stax

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied this year and was one of the fortunate ones.

good luck starting intern year and moving.

wooo said:

Congratulations then! Best of luck to you. Perhaps we will see each other around then sometime...

Intern year and derm for me are in the same place so it will be nice to go ahead and make the move. It will be weird being a visitor during graduation because I'm moving to the new house in the next few days.

Stax

Stax said:
Congratulations then! Best of luck to you. Perhaps we will see each other around then sometime...

Intern year and derm for me are in the same place so it will be nice to go ahead and make the move. It will be weird being a visitor during graduation because I'm moving to the new house in the next few days.

Stax

I have a quick question. For a derm residency, is the one year internship included in the 3 years.....also i want to do combined derm and internal med....would i need that 1 yr internship still!?

wooo said:

I have a quick question. For a derm residency, is the one year internship included in the 3 years.....also i want to do combined derm and internal med which takes 5 yrs....would i need that 1 yr internship still and would it be included in the 5 yrs!?