Top Heme/Onc Journals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fruit Strength

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was wondering if you would be able to list some top journals in the oncology field with particular focus on solid-tumor oncology. I'm a student and interested in reading some of the latest findings in oncology basic science research and figured this would be the best place to ask. I've heard Blood for hematology and hematological malignancies, are there similar journals for solid tumor oncology? Is Cancer Research one of them? Would greatly appreciate your insights!

Members don't see this ad.

Nature Cancer is new but as always with a nature journal is considered to be mid-top tier. They have some interesting papers out. All the papers I’ve read out of Cancer Research have been great. I’d also recommend Cancer cell.

Reactions: 1 users
Cancer Discovery, Leukemia, Cancer Immunol Res, JNCI, Neurooncology.
And of course, Nature, Cell, Science, Nat Medicine if you're willing to filter out oncology-specific papers.

Members don't see this ad :)

For clinical studies, NEJM and Lancet are the two big ones for big phase IIIs (or Phase I/II for cellular therapy) usually with positive data.
JCO is good for Phase II up and coming trials from what I've seen, and also some negative Phase IIIs. You don't usually see big practice changing studies out of there that often. I'm not a huge fan of JAMA personally.

Looks like JHO and Haematologica have climbed the ranks in the last few years but not so much in terms of prospective trials coming out of these quite yet.

Blood is good for heme topics but it reads kind of dense for me - maybe it's the format? I get them weekly and usually toss it.

Edit: I forgot that I like reading Onc-Live. It's usually a parsed out version of the above journals.

For clinical studies, NEJM and Lancet are the two big ones for big phase IIIs (or Phase I/II for cellular therapy) usually with positive data.
JCO is good for Phase II up and coming trials from what I've seen, and also some negative Phase IIIs. You don't usually see big practice changing studies out of there that often. I'm not a huge fan of JAMA personally.

Looks like JHO and Haematologica have climbed the ranks in the last few years but not so much in terms of prospective trials coming out of these quite yet.

Blood is good for heme topics but it reads kind of dense for me - maybe it's the format? I get them weekly and usually toss it.

Edit: I forgot that I like reading Onc-Live. It's usually a parsed out version of the above journals.

Blood is extreeemely heavy on basic science. I usually skim it for the stuff that's clinically applicable, especially the great How I Treat series when they're published. Realistically though I read all that online so I usually chuck the printed copies too.

The covers are real purdy, though