Top MBA Schools and Income

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLADEMDA

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Columbia University
Average salary three years after graduating: $173,888

Average student debt three years after graduating: $127,632

Salary-to-debt ratio: 1.4

Members don't see this ad :)
I started this thread to prove that an MBA at a top school is likely to lead to greater than $200K in come after 5-7 years. With the falling salaries as shown on Gaswork.com I could see an MBA as being a reasonable alternative to Med School followed by Residency in terms of income.

While being accepted into a prestigious MBA program is not easy I could see many current posters on this board possessing the intellectual capacity to not only get accepted but excel at the school.

Reactions: 1 users
look at the bottom number after 10 years:

MBA-Salary-Facts.jpg

MBA and banking is a great idea but the job security is virtually non-existent and few good jobs outside of major cities where $150K doesn't exactly go very far. Some of my college classmates went to work for Bank of America, Merrill Lynch, Bear Stearns and (the worst) Lehman Brothers... most didn't stay in banking beyond 5 or so years.

My friends who have done the best and have kept their jobs are all incredible schmoozers, and they are the first to admit it. You think you aren't master of your domain as an anesthesiologist (really, as a 21st century physician), you'd be shocked at the MBA banking word.

Reactions: 1 user
I started this thread to prove that an MBA at a top school is likely to lead to greater than $200K in come after 5-7 years. With the falling salaries as shown on Gaswork.com I could see an MBA as being a reasonable alternative to Med School followed by Residency in terms of income.

While being accepted into a prestigious MBA program is not easy I could see many current posters on this board possessing the intellectual capacity to not only get accepted but excel at the school.

See your point and agree, but I went into medicine knowing full well it might not have been a winning financial decision in the long term. I derive a lot of utility from medicine, goes far beyond dollar signs. I would not advise anyone to go into medicine looking for an amazing pay day (mostly because of the amount of time and sweat required, but also for your reasons)

This is pointless because it's all apples and oranges but if you just want the quickest path to making bank, become an engineer. My cousin started out at 150k at the age of 22 right after college at an internet company. Of course he went to Stanford full ride so that probably helped but those guys can get some great jobs right after college. My cousin is probably gonna be up way more than 2 mil on a doc by the time he's done training

Reactions: 2 users
This is pointless because it's all apples and oranges but if you just want the quickest path to making bank, become an engineer. My cousin started out at 150k at the age of 22 right after college at an internet company. Of course he went to Stanford full ride so that probably helped but those guys can get some great jobs right after college. My cousin is probably gonna be up way more than 2 mil on a doc by the time he's done training

I agree with you. I've got some relatives who started at the age of 21 earning $120K in technology plus benefits. The hours are great as well.

I agree with you. I've got some relatives who started at the age of 21 earning $120K in technology plus benefits. The hours are great as well.
At age 22 I started working at a famous tech company and made less than that but not much less. Sometimes I regret my decision to leave. Not so much for the money and hours, but more for the cool people and collegiality, which don't seem as common in medicine in my experience.

Last edited:
Agree with most of what is posted here. However, once you get accepted into medical school, it is the surest thing to an upper middle class lifestyle that this county offers.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with most of what is posted here. However, once you get accepted into medical school, it is the surest thing to an upper middle class lifestyle that this county offers.

It used to be a sure thing. Whether that holds true for matriculating students is questionable. The salaries may remain upper middle class looking, but the crushing debt load offsets a lot of that. As the salaries go down, you find yourself squarely in the middle class.

Reactions: 3 users
My cousin went to a top ten (maybe top five) US MBA schools. He is working in Manhattan for a top financial firm and while I don't know what he makes but he has told me that a large part of his post-NY tax income goes to savings/investing and always will because of the lack of job security.
Remember 2008? Being an anesthesiologist looked pretty good then compared to being a laid off Bear Stearns or AIG MBA. Especially one who had a lot of savings in the market.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My cousin went to a top ten (maybe top five) US MBA schools. He is working in Manhattan for a top financial firm and while I don't know what he makes but he has told me that a large part of his post-NY tax income goes to savings/investing and always will because of the lack of job security.
Remember 2008? Being an anesthesiologist looked pretty good then compared to being a laid off Bear Stearns or AIG MBA. Especially one who had a lot of savings in the market.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm not an MBA type of guy myself. I would have hated the whole thing. PGG is right when he states the vast majority of us are better off as Anesthesiologists. But, when management companies, hospital CEOs and the AANA start devaluing our education and training all other options should be explored and contemplated.