-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Top online Pt Schools
Started by clo
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I didn't realize there were online PT programs. What we do is so hands-on so I find it hard to believe this exists. I know there are online transitional DPT programs for those already licensed as a PT.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lets make sure we are on the same page here. Appears St. Augustines has the only distance learning program which requires you to attend labs on campus every other weekend. that I understand. I'd never expect to be able to get a degree in Physical Therapy with anything less.
As I continue to do my searches for schools I've learned that St. Augustine appears to be the only school that does this. I've posted a few other new threads before, but I'm looking at online schools because I'm married, 2 small children and we require two incomes to function.
My experience or background is in Personal Training. I've been one for over 12 years now and over the years I've learned quite a bit about rehab from working with various therapists and good chiros (i know the difference).
I REALLY want take my experience as a trainer and meld that with physical therapy and create a nitch for myself that I feel is missed. I could go on, but that's not what my post was asking.
On line seems to be my best option right now and it's been confusing trying to decipher which schools offer what. Still researching but it appears that Boston and Baltimore offer online classes, but not like St. Augustines.
My post was made to gain a little more clarity.
As I continue to do my searches for schools I've learned that St. Augustine appears to be the only school that does this. I've posted a few other new threads before, but I'm looking at online schools because I'm married, 2 small children and we require two incomes to function.
My experience or background is in Personal Training. I've been one for over 12 years now and over the years I've learned quite a bit about rehab from working with various therapists and good chiros (i know the difference).
I REALLY want take my experience as a trainer and meld that with physical therapy and create a nitch for myself that I feel is missed. I could go on, but that's not what my post was asking.
On line seems to be my best option right now and it's been confusing trying to decipher which schools offer what. Still researching but it appears that Boston and Baltimore offer online classes, but not like St. Augustines.
My post was made to gain a little more clarity.
Frankly, I would venture an opinion that there ISN'T a good online initial PT program in existence because of the nature of our profession. This is nothing against those that exist but I just believe that to really learn the stuff, you need more than a lab every other weekend. tDPT programs are different because that is book learnin' and not the manual stuff.
well I don't know any different. appreciate your input though. for my situation though as I'm sure others are in; I can't not work for the 3 years it would take to get my degree.
I should've done this the first time I was in school. Oh well, shoulda, coulda, woulda.
I should've done this the first time I was in school. Oh well, shoulda, coulda, woulda.
Thanks for the clarity! I understand the not being able not to work for three years. I'm in a similar situation and am trying to find ways to make it work out: my fiancee is also going to school, so money is an issue.
You might want to check out Dominican and Mercy, they both have a weekend program (Friday nights and all day on Sat and Sun). You'll need to not work for your clinical weeks, or work less than normal. It's not an ideal situation from what I've heard, but an option to consider! There might be other similar programs out there, but these are the only two that I know.
Best of luck!
You might want to check out Dominican and Mercy, they both have a weekend program (Friday nights and all day on Sat and Sun). You'll need to not work for your clinical weeks, or work less than normal. It's not an ideal situation from what I've heard, but an option to consider! There might be other similar programs out there, but these are the only two that I know.
Best of luck!
Frankly, I would venture an opinion that there ISN'T a good online initial PT program in existence because of the nature of our profession. This is nothing against those that exist but I just believe that to really learn the stuff, you need more than a lab every other weekend. tDPT programs are different because that is book learnin' and not the manual stuff.
I thought the DPT degree expanded the amount of manual techniques (I'm thinking specifically of manipulation but it could apply to anything)? How can you do that online? Or maybe I just have that wrong. Frankly, I can't believe there is online anything having to do with PT.
I thought the DPT degree expanded the amount of manual techniques (I'm thinking specifically of manipulation but it could apply to anything)? How can you do that online? Or maybe I just have that wrong. Frankly, I can't believe there is online anything having to do with PT.
Wow, I cannot believe I am actually agreeing with this guy...
Wow, I cannot believe I am actually agreeing with this guy...
Try it...you might like it.🙂
The fact that the PT profession is moving to the DPT has nothing to do with manual skills. It has to do with the fact that we are trying to gain respect as healthcare professionals and move towards autonomous practice (ie no more doctor referrals). It is also there because it gives us more experience both classroom and clinically to make the transition from school to working in the 'real world' more easy. BTW, you can't use the word 'manipulation' anymore. It belongs to the chiros. But we can still do it. We just have to call it 'joint mobilization'.
I used to work for a company doing online schools and yes they do exist, however i wouldnt recommend them. no one is going to hire a physical therapist who went to school online. Its not very credible, these companies really are only agter your money. Sorry 🙁
http://canadaforeclosurelist.ca
http://canadaforeclosurelist.ca
BTW, you can't use the word 'manipulation' anymore. It belongs to the chiros. But we can still do it. We just have to call it 'joint mobilization'.
Welcome to the SDN!
Where are you getting this information (cite reference pls.) because I do not believe it to be true. I don't live or practice in Texas, but I see well known clinics like Texas PTS have not changed terminology and nothing is written on the TPTA, or AAOMPT websites in legislative issues which would certainly reflect any changes to using the term manipulation.
Welcome to the SDN!
Where are you getting this information (cite reference pls.) because I do not believe it to be true. I don't live or practice in Texas, but I see well known clinics like Texas PTS have not changed terminology and nothing is written on the TPTA, or AAOMPT websites in legislative issues which would certainly reflect any changes to using the term manipulation.
Thanks for the welcome! The info I gave came from two of my professors. I have to believe them because one of them is CFMT certified from the Institute of Physical Art, and the other is a nazi (she is crazy- she lives, eats, and breaths PT) who knows everything that is going on with the profession and it's laws and stuff. I'm not saying we can't do manips, I'm just saying we're supposed to call them joint mobilizations.
Welcome to the SDN!
Where are you getting this information (cite reference pls.) because I do not believe it to be true. I don't live or practice in Texas, but I see well known clinics like Texas PTS have not changed terminology and nothing is written on the TPTA, or AAOMPT websites in legislative issues which would certainly reflect any changes to using the term manipulation.
Elbrus, I was told this too by some of my professors certified in manual PT back in PT school. That's why in a previous post I stated grade 5 mob vs. manip (in which you commented on). I have no references and probably should research this.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry to deviate from the OP topic, but this is an important clarification since misinformation is being circulated and a long and expensive legislative and regulatory debate has occurred over this very topic. If you do feel you have been given incorrect information, I encourage anyone to discuss this with the source. 🙄
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]This excerpt was downloaded from the AAOMPT website today. ..
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]If the state has specific language related to the use of manipulation, the student should be asked by the CI to read the relevant language. To access state regulations, go to the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy Web site (https://www.fsbpt.org/LicensingAuthorities/index.asp) and click on the link "Directory of State Boards." Then select the state for which you want to read the state practice act for specific restrictions or regulations. It may be easiest to contact someone in the state who is familiar with the law for physical therapists. Contact information is on each state web site. (Manipulation Education Manual, 2004)..[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]If the state has specific language related to the use of manipulation, the student should be asked by the CI to read the relevant language. To access state regulations, go to the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy Web site (https://www.fsbpt.org/LicensingAuthorities/index.asp) and click on the link "Directory of State Boards." Then select the state for which you want to read the state practice act for specific restrictions or regulations. It may be easiest to contact someone in the state who is familiar with the law for physical therapists. Contact information is on each state web site. (Manipulation Education Manual, 2004)..[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
Sorry to deviate from the OP topic, but this is an important clarification since misinformation is being circulated and a long and expensive legislative and regulatory debate has occurred over this very topic. If you do feel you have been given incorrect information, I encourage anyone to discuss this with the source. 🙄..[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]This excerpt was downloaded from the AAOMPT website today. ..
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]If the state has specific language related to the use of manipulation, the student should be asked by the CI to read the relevant language. To access state regulations, go to the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy Web site (https://www.fsbpt.org/LicensingAuthorities/index.asp) and click on the link "Directory of State Boards." Then select the state for which you want to read the state practice act for specific restrictions or regulations. It may be easiest to contact someone in the state who is familiar with the law for physical therapists. Contact information is on each state web site. (Manipulation Education Manual, 2004)..[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
This is good, and I'm sure it's the case for where I am (Texas). My teachers are very current on all laws relating to PT. One of them recently turned a chiro in town into the Texas State Board for advertising physiotherapy. It's against the law for them to market that in TX. I thought it was a little much though because she called the guy and said "You can't say that you do this. It's illegal, and, by the way, I'm turning you into your state board." OUCH!! A little more harsh than most people would be. Luckily, I only have one more class with her.
The fact that the PT profession is moving to the DPT has nothing to do with manual skills. It has to do with the fact that we are trying to gain respect as healthcare professionals and move towards autonomous practice (ie no more doctor referrals). It is also there because it gives us more experience both classroom and clinically to make the transition from school to working in the 'real world' more easy. BTW, you can't use the word 'manipulation' anymore. It belongs to the chiros. But we can still do it. We just have to call it 'joint mobilization'.
Performing manipulation or joint mobilization has little to do with semantics and everything to do with whether one is skilled at it or not. Don't get sidetracked with gimmicky terminology. Focus instead at becoming as good at manipulation as you want everyone to believe.
Performing manipulation or joint mobilization has little to do with semantics and everything to do with whether one is skilled at it or not. Don't get sidetracked with gimmicky terminology. Focus instead at becoming as good at manipulation as you want everyone to believe.
While I wholeheartedly agree with this on a practical level, unfortunately semantics can lead to great legal disputes that may jeopardize one's ability to practice if done poorly or done well. Michael Teston, PT from Arkansas being a prime example.
While I wholeheartedly agree with this on a practical level, unfortunately semantics can lead to great legal disputes that may jeopardize one's ability to practice if done poorly or done well. Michael Teston, PT from Arkansas being a prime example.
The implication of the prior post was that PTs will continue to do manipulation but they'll just use the code word 'mobilization'. That's semantics. The case you cited involves a specific procedure that PTs aren't allowed to perform in that state. That's a specific scope of practice issue.
wow, from my original post for top online schools to a debate over using the word manipulation😛.
well to try to get this post back on track i'll update and tell anyone reading that i've opted to start off in a PTA program. with my family situation there is no way in hell I can:
A. not work for 3 years while in PT school or
B. do St. Augustines distance learning program and commute down every other weekend for 4 years. I'd be divorced and without kids before I
finished.
well to try to get this post back on track i'll update and tell anyone reading that i've opted to start off in a PTA program. with my family situation there is no way in hell I can:
A. not work for 3 years while in PT school or
B. do St. Augustines distance learning program and commute down every other weekend for 4 years. I'd be divorced and without kids before I
finished.

wow, from my original post for top online schools to a debate over using the word manipulation😛.
well to try to get this post back on track i'll update and tell anyone reading that i've opted to start off in a PTA program. with my family situation there is no way in hell I can:
A. not work for 3 years while in PT school or
B. do St. Augustines distance learning program and commute down every other weekend for 4 years. I'd be divorced and without kids before I
finished.![]()
Clo, glad you figured it out! You'll find the PT field very rewarding. Best thing is, as a PTA, you don't have to do evals! I hope it's what you want.
we will see! as a personal trainer I really enjoy digging into the common issues I see here in the work place. Mainly posture related issues from sitting in front of a computer all day. I'm amazed by the lack of flexibility that some of these people have.
I'd love to get into an ortho environment where I can do more good. I just had a guy down last week who was diagnosed with guillain-barre syndrome back in July. he's out of the hospital, in rehab and walking with crutches. I so wanted to dive in and start doing stuff with him but I know my boundaries and told him to get specific instructions from his PT on what a knowledgeable trainer can do with him.
waiting to hear back, but it was fun showing him how to do the exercises his PT assigned him to do on his own.
I'd love to get into an ortho environment where I can do more good. I just had a guy down last week who was diagnosed with guillain-barre syndrome back in July. he's out of the hospital, in rehab and walking with crutches. I so wanted to dive in and start doing stuff with him but I know my boundaries and told him to get specific instructions from his PT on what a knowledgeable trainer can do with him.
waiting to hear back, but it was fun showing him how to do the exercises his PT assigned him to do on his own.