Top Programs for derm training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dermguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I suggest that the best places to train may not be the top-ranked places from the Derm Times article. I want to highlight what I consider to be some of the best places to train and talk about what makes them special. Of course, disagreement, comments, additions, and corrections to everything I write are all appreciated.

Today I want to highlight UT Houston. It's a place where you see county patients, private patients, and all those horribly sick (but interesting) inpatients at MD Anderson. All skin types are well represented. The international flavor of Houston guarantees you see a lot of bizarre stuff from outside the country while still getting a lot of bread and butter derm stuff.

Rapini is amazing both as a Derm Path guy and as a general dermatologist. His is one of the main names on Bolognia, after all, and his Derm path book is the best for residents by miles. In addition to Rapini, they have other awesome faculty covering all the important areas of Derm like Pedi and Surgery. One thing I don't know about is their cosmetic side of things, but I believe they get some but not a ton of training in that area.

Overall it's an awesome program and it was really painful to me that it ended up in the bottom half of my rank list, but that's just because I was lucky enough to interview at some other awesome places too (which I want to talk about too). This program is not one of the places that jumps into most people's minds when talking about "top" derm programs, but I think it would be an amazing place to train, and I would have been VERY happy with my match had I ended up here.

Members don't see this ad.

When I interviewed at UT Houston, I got the impression that pediatric dermatology wasn't as strong there as say, next door at Baylor. I don't recall them having a peds derm clinic.

I definitely agree that for path, UT Houston is one of the best places around.

As mentioned in another thread, having dedicated full-time faculty in peds, Mohs, and path is definitely something to look for. Bonus (for me at least) if they also have a strong medical/consult service.