top programs how competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

x10694

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I am a later comer to field of anesthesiology. I am doing my OB/GYN now and has really been fascinated with gas work. I know this has been asked before, but the numbers and landscape change with time especially for Anesthesiology. So, can anyone comment on what are the numbers require to match into programs like Stanford, Harvard, Mayo, MGH, U Washington, etc? I am assuming my step 1 is in the ball game but what other factors do i need to look into? How much research is required?

Step 1 254
Clinical grades: O, Adv, rest are still pending (i can at least pull straight ADV minimum)
Top 25% of class
Research: 3 publications from before med school, all no anesthesia related

Members don't see this ad.

Smart@ ss answer: IF you pass the CS, U can haz spot

Other answer: look up the Charting the Outcomes 2011 document (most recent available).

Hey everybody, I am a later comer to field of anesthesiology. I am doing my OB/GYN now and has really been fascinated with gas work. I know this has been asked before, but the numbers and landscape change with time especially for Anesthesiology. So, can anyone comment on what are the numbers require to match into programs like Stanford, Harvard, Mayo, MGH, U Washington, etc? I am assuming my step 1 is in the ball game but what other factors do i need to look into? How much research is required?

Step 1 254
Clinical grades: O, Adv, rest are still pending (i can at least pull straight ADV minimum)
Top 25% of class
Research: 3 publications from before med school, all no anesthesia related

I dont know what ADV or O means, but regardless you should at least be able to score interviews to most of these places. Research in anesthesia definitely not required but a plus of course.