Top Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

trpng0bily

Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Which residency programs are considered to be at the top of the pack for neurosurgery? Also, are there programs that are considered excellent for specific areas of neurosurgery?

Thanks a lot.
 
Like anything there is no clear list. But the big names are typical except for one: Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix is considered tops. But also places like Columbia, Hopkins, Mayo Clinic, U of Michigan, U of Pennsylvania, U of Virginia.
 
mpp said:
Like anything there is no clear list. But the big names are typical except for one: Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix is considered tops. But also places like Columbia, Hopkins, Mayo Clinic, U of Michigan, U of Pennsylvania, U of Virginia.


I wouldn't forget UCSF, I was surprised to find out that they actually have as many clinical cases as the barrow
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
University of Cincinnati (Mayfield Clinic) also does more than 3000 cases and has a great atmosphere.
 
I second that last post. Also, I think there are many great programs out there that produce very technically skilled surgeons, but do not necessarily produce as many academicians due to a lack of research infrastructure. It's probably important to decide what you want out of a residency before making a rank list based (only) on big names.
 
I'd be curious to know if any of them are not top programs? I'd really enjoy hearing about the bottom-of-the-barrel programs that admit the idiots.