Top psyd programs in big cities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

valentinoRossi

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to apply to psyd programs this winter after i finish up some more classes and take the gre. My top place to be (geographically speaking) is in california (LA). I would love to be in a big city, but also in a good solid reputable psyd program.
My ideal cities would be

NYC
Miami
LA
Washington DC
Atlanta

I have been looking up schools for a while, but it seems that maybe i'm missing something.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking to apply to psyd programs this winter after i finish up some more classes and take the gre. My top place to be (geographically speaking) is in california (LA). I would love to be in a big city, but also in a good solid reputable psyd program.
My ideal cities would be

NYC
Miami
LA
Washington DC
Atlanta

I have been looking up schools for a while, but it seems that maybe i'm missing something.

Hi there,

When looking for doctoral programs, especially PsyD ones, it's best to look at only APA-accredited ones: http://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/programs/clinical.aspx

Look at their APA-internship match rates and do your research on if the program meets your career goals/values. Being in a big city might be nice but don't neglect the smaller city/town schools that may offer you a better opportunity/training/education/funds.

A good resource is the Insider's Guide as well.

Good luck!

Rutgers is in New Jersey, not too far from NYC.
GWU is in D.C.
Nova is in West Palm Beach, an hour from Miami.

But, most people will tell you that it's not a wise choice to base your education on the location. Yes, it's going to suck to be in the boonies for a few years but you got the rest of your live wherever you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rutgers is in New Jersey, not too far from NYC.
GWU is in D.C.
Nova is in West Palm Beach, an hour from Miami.

But, most people will tell you that it's not a wise choice to base your education on the location. Yes, it's going to suck to be in the boonies for a few years but you got the rest of your live wherever you want.

Yeshiva is in NYC but pricey. Nova is actually located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida not West Palm beach. You could try Pepperdine in Los Angeles but you will need an MS/MA in order to apply. There is Carlos Ibizu (sp?) in Miami as well but I've heard mixed things about that program. There is also Argosy in DC and Atlanta but if you are going to go the PsyD route I would stick solely to university based programs.

Yeshiva is in NYC but pricey. Nova is actually located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida not West Palm beach. You could try Pepperdine in Los Angeles but you will need an MS/MA in order to apply. There is Carlos Ibizu (sp?) in Miami as well but I've heard mixed things about that program. There is also Argosy in DC and Atlanta but if you are going to go the PsyD route I would stick solely to university based programs.

My bad.
Regarding Carlos Ibizu - I didn't mention it because the poster had asked for reputable programs.

Also, there is PGSP in the San Francisco area. University of Denver also seems to have a decent program. But again, tuition for these places is an arm and a leg.

ive heard mixed things about write institute in the bay area, they have a really nice video on their website

In terms of near NYC, I'd second Rutgers & Yeshiva. Also, LIU: CW Post has a good reputation and gives decent aid (it's on Long Island about 45 minutes from NYC).

Also, there is PGSP in the San Francisco area. University of Denver also seems to have a decent program. But again, tuition for these places is an arm and a leg.

I'd stay away from those for that reason. Regarding PGSP (PAU) in particular - it has tuition that's so high (e.g., 200K+ debt upon graduation is not uncommon) it necessitates most people have to take out private loans to cover costs. While it's reputation and stats (for professional schools) is pretty good, that reason alone makes it a bad choice. Unless you're independently wealthy (and I won't begrudge anyone that) - then the calculus becomes different, of course.

If I was a student again and considering the PsyD route I'd try to make myself competitive for Rutgers or some of the others (Virginia? Baylor?) that offer tuition remission. Obviously, no debt and full funding is best, but probably at most you should shoot for a school that would saddle you with no more than what you'd expect to make in your first year out of school post-licensure, say, 60-70K. That cuts out PGSP, the Alliants and Argosys of the world, and many others, and for good reason.

My ideal cities would be

NYC
Miami
LA
Washington DC
Atlanta

As someone who went to a PsyD program, I agree with people's concerns here about debt, as PsyD programs tend to be grossly underfunded. While accrued debt upon graduation should be a top priority when considering applications, particularly during this "economic climate," the quality of the programs, including quantitative data (e.g., breadth of available practica, internship acceptance rates, etc.), should also be prioritized. In particular, can the quality of the program potentially mitigate the accrued debt? Is it possible that there may be a correlation between going to a low-tiered PhD program with respectable tuition assistance and a subsequent relatively low-paying job? Your debt may be lower than if you had gone to a PsyD program; this is very likely. However, is the quality of your education sufficient caché for longer term employment and value?

I got into my top internship choice and was 1 of 8 out of 400 who applied. (I am certain the statistics is more horrible now, given the "internship crisis".) I got to live in Boston because of it and will be staying for fellowship (at another Boston institution). Overall, I had a very supportive PsyD program, I was glad for going that route.

I interviewed in some places, and in some cases, for both the grad program and more recently the postdoc fellowship. Like you, I prefer big cities - L.A., NYC, SF, and Boston to name a few where I have lived. Rutgers's PsyD is top-notched. Yeshiva is just OK, in my opinion. GWU is a 4-year program and is heavily psychodynamic. PGSP/Stanford PsyD is another good program, and the connection with the med school at Stanford has its benefits.

Good luck with apps!

As someone who went to a PsyD program, I agree with people's concerns here about debt, as PsyD programs tend to be grossly underfunded. While accrued debt upon graduation should be a top priority when considering applications, particularly during this "economic climate," the quality of the programs, including quantitative data (e.g., breadth of available practica, internship acceptance rates, etc.), should also be prioritized. In particular, can the quality of the program potentially mitigate the accrued debt? Is it possible that there may be a correlation between going to a low-tiered PhD program with respectable tuition assistance and a subsequent relatively low-paying job? Your debt may be lower than if you had gone to a PsyD program; this is very likely. However, is the quality of your education sufficient caché for longer term employment and value?

I got into my top internship choice and was 1 of 8 out of 400 who applied. (I am certain the statistics is more horrible now, given the "internship crisis".) I got to live in Boston because of it and will be staying for fellowship (at another Boston institution). Overall, I had a very supportive PsyD program, I was glad for going that route.

I interviewed in some places, and in some cases, for both the grad program and more recently the postdoc fellowship. Like you, I prefer big cities - L.A., NYC, SF, and Boston to name a few where I have lived. Rutgers's PsyD is top-notched. Yeshiva is just OK, in my opinion. GWU is a 4-year program and is heavily psychodynamic. PGSP/Stanford PsyD is another good program, and the connection with the med school at Stanford has its benefits.

Good luck with apps!

yeah i am more concerned with the quality of education, that is my top priority over tuition & location. However, i would just prefer to be in a bigger city with a more diverse population, but it's by no means the #1 criteria for school choices...just a preference

If you know that you prefer the diversity of big cities, I think that's great! I think there are a lot of very legitimate reasons for wanting to be in or very near a big city, and it sounds like there are adequate PsyD choices near major metro centers.

Good luck!

yeah i am more concerned with the quality of education, that is my top priority over tuition & location. However, i would just prefer to be in a bigger city with a more diverse population, but it's by no means the #1 criteria for school choices...just a preference

I am all for big cities too (I live in one), but just keep in mind that they are popular. You may find that the road is tougher (more competition for externships, internships, and jobs) and that you could very well be faced with deciding to move or put yourself behind for a year as you get to the end of the program.

As someone who went through every step within a major city that I fell in love with, I can't tell you how hard it was on the internship, postdoc, and job markets. Depending on what you are looking to do, you may have to make sacrifices to stay where you live. You may give up salary or even have difficulty finding A job, if it is a desireable area you want to live in.

I could sit here and say "hey, i did it - I am a success story" but I am not going to do that. While there are things you can do to set yourself apart from the pack, I am the first to admit that it took a lot of luck and contact with the right people to make it a success. All along the way, there was stress and uncertainty.

So I am glad that you said the quality of the program is the top priority. Chances are, you'll have to move away from it anyways.