Top residencies in pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I did it all over again, I would pick a residency in the lowest cost of living area I could balancing that against marginal local reputation and access to fellowships in derm, GI or GU.

Hmmm, I believe currently Boston closely followed by SF and NYC are the most overinflated housing markets in the US.

Economists expect the decline in the economy to contribute to a slowdown in growth but not result in an outright recession.

Lereah said he believed price weakness will continue as sellers start cutting their asking prices in the face of weaker demand and rising inventories.

He said that housing continued to be a "tale of two markets" with previously hot areas experiencing declines and more modestly priced areas showing a boom.

Lereah said that while New York City, Boston, Chicago and Minneapolis had seen sales declines, cities such as Syracuse and Pittsburgh were experiencing rising sales.

By state, Maryland and Virginia were experiencing weakness while Texas, Georgia, North Carolina and Tennessee were enjoying sales increases, Lereah said

Members don't see this ad.

LADoc00 said:
If I did it all over again, I would pick a residency in the lowest cost of living area I could balancing that against marginal local reputation and access to fellowships in derm, GI or GU.

Hmmm, I believe currently Boston closely followed by SF and NYC are the most overinflated housing markets in the US.
Well Boston's always had an inflated housing market. But nowadays the housing prices are falling. Property takes much longer to sell these days here. Definitely a buyer's market now and probably at least for the next year.

NYC housing market? What housing market? People with resident salaries can't buy squat in NYC. You end up having to stick to renting small apartments for outrageous prices....unless you go with housing provided by the various institutions. Then things become more reasonable.

SF is pretty ridiculous too. I heard that if you wanna buy, you have a long commute to look forward to. That's if you buy! Which means you probably live on ramen noodles. I heard they have a special...buy 6 packs of ramen for $1. That being said...I almost went there...had them #1 on my list for about 3 weeks.

So in your opinion, what would be the best programs in lower cost-of-living cities?

UTSW, Wash U, and Utah??

Members don't see this ad :)
Selectin-Man said:
So in your opinion, what would be the best programs in lower cost-of-living cities?

UTSW, Wash U, and Utah??

Definitely YES to UTSW! Outstanding residency program in a top medical school in a great city! Dallas is typically not considered a great city by a lot of people, specially those coming from either coast but take it from somebody who has been living here for the last 3 years - I absolutely LOVE it here! Great climate, very affordable cost of living (Dallas is becoming quite expensive but the suburbs all around are still very much affordable), great restaurants, and fabulous shopping! It has everything you need and want in a big city and yet it is not (at least not yet) as congested and expensive as the others. In my mind, Dallas is one of the best places to live in the US, that is if you are a big city kind of person. It looks and feels brand new all the time - the buildings, the roads, the malls, etc.

For those applying this year, we all look forward to seeing you interview here at UTSW - a program that we are very proud of - and to showing you Dallas - a city that we all love!

AndyMilonakis said:
SF is pretty ridiculous too.

True dat, but when I interviewed they were offering 10K a year in housing allowance. That almost made renting a bargain.

BigD said:
Definitely YES to UTSW! Outstanding residency program in a top medical school in a great city! Dallas is typically not considered a great city by a lot of people, specially those coming from either coast but take it from somebody who has been living here for the last 3 years - I absolutely LOVE it here! Great climate, very affordable cost of living (Dallas is becoming quite expensive but the suburbs all around are still very much affordable), great restaurants, and fabulous shopping! It has everything you need and want in a big city and yet it is not (at least not yet) as congested and expensive as the others. In my mind, Dallas is one of the best places to live in the US, that is if you are a big city kind of person. It looks and feels brand new all the time - the buildings, the roads, the malls, etc.

For those applying this year, we all look forward to seeing you interview here at UTSW - a program that we are very proud of - and to showing you Dallas - a city that we all love!

Believe me, I would have loved to interview at UTSW. I grew up in Dallas and would have enjoyed residency there with my family around. However, the faculty did not give me an interview. I really appreciate the hometown love, SW! (Yes, I'm bitter at being rejected by my hometown school.)

I have this odd sense of creeping doom that in the next 10 years or so, as more and more path practices become large commericial labs, Utah will be the no1 path training destination. If for no other reason, because it exposes to this type of pathology practice, large commericial lab, with huge speciality section, marketing, test development etc....

The NYC housing market had gone from expensive to outrageous in the last few years, but it will cool off soon enough. There are too many condos and such that were built in gentrified areas recently that are going for what were previously Park Avenue prices to sustain itself. That said, a resident still has no chance in hell of purchasing with only their salary.

cjw0918 said:
Believe me, I would have loved to interview at UTSW. I grew up in Dallas and would have enjoyed residency there with my family around. However, the faculty did not give me an interview. I really appreciate the hometown love, SW! (Yes, I'm bitter at being rejected by my hometown school.)

Were you a medical student at UTSW? I thought they interviewed all UTSW students...

BigD said:
Were you a medical student at UTSW? I thought they interviewed all UTSW students...

No, I went to med school in the Midwest. They probably do interview all UTSW students.

I know that UTSW denied an interview to a very sharp, well-published MD/PhD applicant from the University of Oklahoma. I don't know what his board scores or grades were like, but he is now at Wash U.

I'm really befuddled as to why they would deny that kind of applicant an interview.

Selectin-Man said:
I know that UTSW denied an interview to a very sharp, well-published MD/PhD applicant from the University of Oklahoma. I don't know what his board scores or grades were like, but he is now at Wash U.

I'm really befuddled as to why they would deny that kind of applicant an interview.

WashU>>>UTSW, sooo he made the better choice.

LADoc00 said:
WashU>>>UTSW, sooo he made the better choice.

What are your main reasons for saying that WashU is much better than UTSW? I'm just a little ignorant on the subject, and I don't know enough to make a good comparison. (I'm a 5th year MD/PhD student.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Selectin-Man said:
What are your main reasons for saying that WashU is much better than UTSW? I'm just a little ignorant on the subject, and I don't know enough to make a good comparison. (I'm a 5th year MD/PhD student.)

The reasons are really only revealed to those "Thetans" that the followers of L Ron Hubbard have deemed worthy.

LADoc00 said:
The reasons are really only revealed to those "Thetans" that the followers of L Ron Hubbard have deemed worthy.

I'll drop Mormonism and become a Scientologist if you tell me. Scout's honor.

Selectin-Man said:

UTSW isn't that elite. I know because they gave me an interview :laugh: .

LADoc00 said:

You mean...

"This is what the followers of LADoc actually believe"
?

Hmmm....

col1-2005q4.jpg

colm-2005q4.jpg

LADoc00 said:

That is interesting, but I would have to say skewed... Why is Montana that high? They have no sales tax (moderately high property tax, but still houses are cheap there)

and Hawaii.. OUCH 163! That I believe...

djmd said:
That is interesting, but I would have to say skewed... Why is Montana that high? They have no sales tax (moderately high property tax, but still houses are cheap there)

In general, money (real money) is not made in Montana. The cost of living in Montana, particularly in the more desirable western communities, has sky-rocketed over the last 10-20 years secondary to an influx of retirees from the RED states in LADOC's figure. After making their millions in Cali (and New York, etc.), they flock to the Big Sky state to enjoy the copious natural resources and large private tracts of land still affordable to out-of-staters. Honestly, one of the main reasons I became a physician is because it is one of the only well-paying jobs in Montana where you can be your own boss and have some reasonable job security. And, with all of the retired fogeys moving there, it is really a great place to practice medicine because the population is skewed towards an older and often well-insured patient base. I suppose the same could be said for communities in Idaho and Wyoming as well.

How does one find out about individual programs? I went to scutwork and most of the programs that I'm looking at do not have reviews. So how can one tell?
I'm looking the DC area and in NJ and NYC. Can someone help me?
Thanks

elkchaser said:
djmd said:

In general, money (real money) is not made in Montana. The cost of living in Montana, particularly in the more desirable western communities, has sky-rocketed over the last 10-20 years secondary to an influx of retirees from the RED states in LADOC's figure. After making their millions in Cali (and New York, etc.), they flock to the Big Sky state to enjoy the copious natural resources and large private tracts of land still affordable to out-of-staters. Honestly, one of the main reasons I became a physician is because it is one of the only well-paying jobs in Montana where you can be your own boss and have some reasonable job security. And, with all of the retired fogeys moving there, it is really a great place to practice medicine because the population is skewed towards an older and often well-insured patient base. I suppose the same could be said for communities in Idaho and Wyoming as well.

Everyone in low cost of living areas need to make things as uncomfortable for fleeing urbanites as possible to prevent the massive problems of urban medicine infecting rural areas, our last bastion of hope. Fly Confederate flags, get beat up white pick up trucks with gun racks, put huge loud barking dogs in the back of the pick up trucks, get bumper stickers with "Yankee Hunting License" or "I support Patrick Buchannan", better yet go all out and hold rallies burning NY state flags, make them run away! Stop all new construction, crap join Sierra Club or any other hippy movement that will halt development.

elkchaser said:
djmd said:

We had a recent surgpath fellow graduate and take a private job in Montana with a starting 'round 300ish. Yes, this is ridiculously high, but dude, it's MONTANA.
(then again, the guy was from Idaho, so that's probably a Hugh Jass step up).

SLUsagar said:
elkchaser said:
We had a recent surgpath fellow graduate and take a private job in Montana with a starting 'round 300ish. Yes, this is ridiculously high, but dude, it's MONTANA.
(then again, the guy was from Idaho, so that's probably a Hugh Jass step up).

Let me Guess... Billings, MT.
Or Missoula...
right?