Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Top residencies in pathology

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by LADoc00, Jul 25, 2006.

1. LADoc00

LADoc00 There is no substitute for victory.

Attending Physician
    If I did it all over again, I would pick a residency in the lowest cost of living area I could balancing that against marginal local reputation and access to fellowships in derm, GI or GU.

Hmmm, I believe currently Boston closely followed by SF and NYC are the most overinflated housing markets in the US.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. b&ierstiefel

b&ierstiefel Guest

Non-Student
    Well Boston's always had an inflated housing market. But nowadays the housing prices are falling. Property takes much longer to sell these days here. Definitely a buyer's market now and probably at least for the next year.

NYC housing market? What housing market? People with resident salaries can't buy squat in NYC. You end up having to stick to renting small apartments for outrageous prices....unless you go with housing provided by the various institutions. Then things become more reasonable.

SF is pretty ridiculous too. I heard that if you wanna buy, you have a long commute to look forward to. That's if you buy! Which means you probably live on ramen noodles. I heard they have a special...buy 6 packs of ramen for $1. That being said...I almost went there...had them #1 on my list for about 3 weeks.

4. Selectin-Man

Selectin-Man Junior Member

Medical Student
    So in your opinion, what would be the best programs in lower cost-of-living cities?

UTSW, Wash U, and Utah??

5. 106174

106174 Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Definitely YES to UTSW! Outstanding residency program in a top medical school in a great city! Dallas is typically not considered a great city by a lot of people, specially those coming from either coast but take it from somebody who has been living here for the last 3 years - I absolutely LOVE it here! Great climate, very affordable cost of living (Dallas is becoming quite expensive but the suburbs all around are still very much affordable), great restaurants, and fabulous shopping! It has everything you need and want in a big city and yet it is not (at least not yet) as congested and expensive as the others. In my mind, Dallas is one of the best places to live in the US, that is if you are a big city kind of person. It looks and feels brand new all the time - the buildings, the roads, the malls, etc.

For those applying this year, we all look forward to seeing you interview here at UTSW - a program that we are very proud of - and to showing you Dallas - a city that we all love!

6. Gut Shot

Attending Physician
    True dat, but when I interviewed they were offering 10K a year in housing allowance. That almost made renting a bargain.

7. cjw0918

cjw0918 Senior Member

Believe me, I would have loved to interview at UTSW. I grew up in Dallas and would have enjoyed residency there with my family around. However, the faculty did not give me an interview. I really appreciate the hometown love, SW! (Yes, I'm bitter at being rejected by my hometown school.)

8. LADoc00

Attending Physician
    I have this odd sense of creeping doom that in the next 10 years or so, as more and more path practices become large commericial labs, Utah will be the no1 path training destination. If for no other reason, because it exposes to this type of pathology practice, large commericial lab, with huge speciality section, marketing, test development etc....

9. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    The NYC housing market had gone from expensive to outrageous in the last few years, but it will cool off soon enough. There are too many condos and such that were built in gentrified areas recently that are going for what were previously Park Avenue prices to sustain itself. That said, a resident still has no chance in hell of purchasing with only their salary.

10. 106174

106174 Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Were you a medical student at UTSW? I thought they interviewed all UTSW students...

11. cjw0918

cjw0918 Senior Member

No, I went to med school in the Midwest. They probably do interview all UTSW students.

12. Selectin-Man

Medical Student
    I know that UTSW denied an interview to a very sharp, well-published MD/PhD applicant from the University of Oklahoma. I don't know what his board scores or grades were like, but he is now at Wash U.

I'm really befuddled as to why they would deny that kind of applicant an interview.

13. LADoc00

Attending Physician

WashU>>>UTSW, sooo he made the better choice.

14. Selectin-Man

Medical Student
    What are your main reasons for saying that WashU is much better than UTSW? I'm just a little ignorant on the subject, and I don't know enough to make a good comparison. (I'm a 5th year MD/PhD student.)

15. LADoc00

Attending Physician

The reasons are really only revealed to those "Thetans" that the followers of L Ron Hubbard have deemed worthy.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Selectin-Man

Medical Student
    I'll drop Mormonism and become a Scientologist if you tell me. Scout's honor.

18. trent05

trent05 Member

UTSW isn't that elite. I know because they gave me an interview :laugh: .

19. djmd

djmd an Antediluvian

Attending Physician
    You mean...

"This is what the followers of LADoc actually believe"
    ?

20. LADoc00

Attending Physician
  21. djmd

djmd an Antediluvian

Attending Physician
    That is interesting, but I would have to say skewed... Why is Montana that high? They have no sales tax (moderately high property tax, but still houses are cheap there)

and Hawaii.. OUCH 163! That I believe...

22. elkchaser

elkchaser Member

23. troubled

troubled Junior Member

How does one find out about individual programs? I went to scutwork and most of the programs that I'm looking at do not have reviews. So how can one tell?
    I'm looking the DC area and in NJ and NYC. Can someone help me?
    Thanks

24. LADoc00

Attending Physician

25. SLUsagar

SLUsagar rock chalk jayhawk

26. djmd

djmd an Antediluvian

Attending Physician