Top Schools For Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YouNeverKnow22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to inquire on what the top schools for surgery (general, neuro, etc.) are.

Members don't see this ad.

The one you get into!

Any medical school in america is going to prepare you to get into surgical residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
everyone on SDN knows- Stewart Univ. of course.

how would we know? we are pre-meds.

sorry for being a total noob here, I'm a freshman undergrad and have started my school searching and I am interested in surgery.......

harvard is always good...at EVERYTHING

uwash ucsf stanford ucla mayo washu cleveland hopkins harvard

Oh, and pretty much every other school in the top 150

Not trying to burst your bubble, but it's highly likely that you will choose another (probably totally different) specialty when you get into med school and finish 3rd year. But if you're super set on surg (esp subspecialties), might as well go to the most prestigious program you can get into because that will help you in uber competitive fields.

thanks, i gotta 3.9 right now hopefully i can maintain for the next 2 yrs before I apply.....I'm extremely interested in Columbia

thanks, i gotta 3.9 right now hopefully i can maintain for the next 2 yrs before I apply.....I'm extremely interested in Columbia

Well the do call it the College of Surgeons and Surgeons for a reason, seeing as a large number of their folk seem to go into surgical specialties. However, as someone who is going to Columbia and is interested in exploring surgery as a potential specialty I can honestly say that which school was good at what kind of specialty had NO bearing on my decision making this cycle.

I love your av! I am so hyped to hear the new album, less than a month! I saw them in Phoenix last week and the show was sick. WIA is such a rocking song, listening to recordings doesn't do it justice.
thanks, im a huge DMB fan!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the do call it the College of Surgeons and Surgeons for a reason, seeing as a large number of their folk seem to go into surgical specialties. However, as someone who is going to Columbia and is interested in exploring surgery as a potential specialty I can honestly say that which school was good at what kind of specialty had NO bearing on my decision making this cycle.

I should clarify that I am going next year.

I love the NY area, I'm obviously very new to this and will learn as time goes.....I live in the NC area and will also apply to UVA,UNC,Wake,Duke,ECU..........I'm just glad I found this place as a resource because the admission process seems grueling :cool:

I love the NY area, I'm obviously very new to this and will learn as time goes.....I live in the NC area and will also apply to UVA,UNC,Wake,Duke,ECU..........I'm just glad I found this place as a resource because the admission process seems grueling :cool:

Stats?

:laugh:

Meaning I'm asking for your application statistics. GPA MCAT research community service etc.

well im just a freshman haha but i have 3.9 right now and plan to volunteer at wake forest hospital and do research at a lab in the school of medicine at wake forest......

well im just a freshman haha but i have 3.9 right now and plan to volunteer at wake forest hospital and do research at a lab in the school of medicine at wake forest......

Ok. Worry about where to apply in two years. Just do your best.

save the world, it'll ensure your position.

honestly, it's a huge crap shoot. even if you have a stellar app, there's an amount of luck involved in the process. so, don't set your heart on columbia, but just try your hardest to get in. if you get an interview, it's all subjective from there.