TOP Score and CDN DAT prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xylem29

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, there doesn't seem to be any prep materials out there for the Canadian DAT and I don't know whether it is any different from the US DAT, aside from the obvious differences in subjects tested (No orgo or QR). Will the practice DAT exams, which are all pretty much US DAT prep, work for the Canadian DAT, as in are the types of questions, length etc for the BIO, Gen Chem, and PAT identical? And also, since Top Score is said to provide the closest simulation of the real DAT, but is in computer format, is it recommended for CDN version (which is on paper)?

If this has already been asked plz link me up!

Members don't see this ad.

xylem

as far as i know, the canadian dat is a bit more challenging than the american one, add to that the stupid carving you have to do first thing in the monring at 8am with used/BLUNT knives!!!!
I practised with the sharpest blade [cut myself a bunch], and on the real thing it was really blunt

oh yeah one more thing, the on paper thing is really ez, espeically for the PAT! since you can trace the angles, rotate the page 360, fold it etc etc!

grifgin said:
xylem

as far as i know, the canadian dat is a bit more challenging than the american one, add to that the stupid carving you have to do first thing in the monring at 8am with used/BLUNT knives!!!!
I practised with the sharpest blade [cut myself a bunch], and on the real thing it was really blunt

oh yeah one more thing, the on paper thing is really ez, espeically for the PAT! since you can trace the angles, rotate the page 360, fold it etc etc!

So the pratice exams from top score won't really give us a good sense of the question difficulty then? Okay, I'm glad to hear about the PAT being easier on paper that's good...OMG, I can't believe they give you blunt knives...

I guess I'll have to use whatever is out there, since so many others have and done well, and just study hard and anticipate the questions being a bit harder than whatever pratice DAT's I'll have.

Oh wait, what about the pratice dat's from IQ publications? These are specific for CDN DAT...

Here's a good question, can we print out the top score tests or can we only do them on computer?

no no!!!
heres what I used for the CAD DAT
Kaplan - waaay harder than everthing [both US and CAn]

bascially: all the prep software = harder than the real thing, since they want to prepare you for the worst, what i mean to say was that: Canadian dat is a bit harder/easier in different ways to the usa

im guessing you are giving the november 2006 dat? if you are in TO, i can help prepare you? or if you want you can buy all my stuff :> :> kaplan, topscore[no expire], aamc and loads of other stuff

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with grifgin. I took the Canadian DAT in Feb and did Kaplan which helped a lot. I also did TopScore and found it useful. Thought the Canadian DAT was tougher than the tests that I did. My blade wasn't bad, and I used a video that gave carving instructions that really helped, so I had no problems with the carving. You just gotta practice it over and over. I don't remember the name of the video since I removed it from my computer after I took the DATs, but just do a search on google for "DAT Carving Video" and you should find a couple of different videos that you can buy and download. I'm taking the US DAT in a few weeks for those schools that don't accept the Canadian DAT! Hopefully, it won't be as hard as the Canadian version...

same here!!!

anyways I have like a 2 dozen chalk practise material and 3~4 soap to carve on..if anyone needs: pm

cheekodental said:
I agree with grifgin. I took the Canadian DAT in Feb and did Kaplan which helped a lot. I also did TopScore and found it useful. Thought the Canadian DAT was tougher than the tests that I did. My blade wasn't bad, and I used a video that gave carving instructions that really helped, so I had no problems with the carving. You just gotta practice it over and over. I don't remember the name of the video since I removed it from my computer after I took the DATs, but just do a search on google for "DAT Carving Video" and you should find a couple of different videos that you can buy and download. I'm taking the US DAT in a few weeks for those schools that don't accept the Canadian DAT! Hopefully, it won't be as hard as the Canadian version...

Which ones don't accept the Cdn DAT? I thought they all accepted it?