Top ten signs you've been studying for MCAT too much

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainMonkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
here's mine: when walking down the street, I see the Tension in all the cables holding up signs. Then I go over the diagram in my head.

Help me! :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

When you wake up in the morning or in the middle of the night and before you even realize you are awake, you are doing random calculations in your head...

You attempt to do everyday calculations in real life in your head for "extra practice" :thumbup:

-tx

A real conversation (no joke):
"Did you put ice in this beer bin?"
"No"
"Well, there wasn't ice in there before."
"Did you drain it?" (the water)
"Yeah."
"There you go. The refractive indices of water and ice are similar enough that there is no discernible difference in the two media, so it looks like only water(maybe related to lateral inhibition mechanics?). Once you drain the water, the light now shines through air to ice to air again. Intuition tells me that there is a bigger difference in these two indices than water/ice, so the ice, while always there, is now more 'visible'. But what are the other three answer choices?"

Needless to say, I received a blank stare, the shaking of a head, and a muttered "nerd."

That's Dr. bartender to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
You start seeing Golgi Bodies and other cellular structures in your pasta dinner and walk around muttering the constants.

I started to see force vectors on random objects. like the OP

You have nightmares about getting horrible scores in the mail :(

when you meet someone for the first time and they say:

(Stranger) "Hello, my name is John; and you are....?"

(You) "Oh, hi, my name is MCAT. Oops, I mean Eric...er, um..no, I mean MCAT."

(Stranger) "Oh. Are you OK?"

(You) "Yeah, I'm sorry, I'm going to leave. I forgot the MCAT at the MCAT, so now I've got to go MCAT my sister's MCAT. MCAT."

After doing a crap load of verbal practice exams, you start reading cereal boxes analytically. "Hmmm, I think the Cheerios honey bee is trying to convey his utilitarian views concerning the union of honey, nuts, and milk."

:thumbup:

monopolova said:
After doing a crap load of verbal practice exams, you start reading cereal boxes analytically. "Hmmm, I think the Cheerios honey bee is trying to convey his utilitarian views concerning the union of honey, nuts, and milk."

:thumbup:

This is hilarious :laugh: :laugh: and it is the apparent reason I'm retaking the gosh-darned mcraps in August. Probably need to analyze verbal pieces from whatever source with the MCAT in mind.

How about this: You sit down on your first break at work, after grabbing your water bottle from the freezer where you placed it two hours ago to cool it down for break time. You notice some ice has begun to form in the bottle and immediately go over the phase changes and bond dissociation energies necessary to go from water to ice back to water again and then begin thinking of the Gibb's free energy/enthalpy/entropy as part of the reaction.

Actually happened last night.

What's worse is when, in order to rehash it, you have to fight the urge to strike up a conversation with another overnight stocker to explain it all to him.

You start advising people based on "facts" you've read in MCAT verbal passages. "Oh yeah, well if you were smart, you'd be investing in the Mexican stock exchange. I know that's one of the fastest growing international markets." (ie. I read it yesterday in an AAMC verbal section)

and "well, i think part of the problem with young voters in this country is that they are having a hard time coming to decisions. I know that studies have shown (ie. i read it in a 350 word mcat essay) that people begin to become politically socialized in their adolescence, but are often reluctant to commit to a particular side."

Sad, so sad, yet true.

You are driving with the window down the highway and you start thinking about negative pressure and the relationship between velocity and pressure in terms of flow rate and you almost run into another car.

Ha. I was in the grocery store other day and accidentally knocked a 2 liter drink off the shelf. It hit the ground at a weird angle and bounced almost completely back up. I couldn't even grab it due to being frozen in place with wide, almost terror stricken eyes at the bottle with my brain screaming "THAT ALMOST LOOKED LIKE AN ELASTIC COLLISION!!!" , as it slowly bounced down and rolled away down the aisle, I relaxed and murmured "nope... definitely inelastic". I then shuffled off in search of my diet slice.