Aug 3, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Hello guys!

I'm currently studying topographic anatomy/operative surgery and having a hard time understanding the relationship between the topographic layers of the body.

I couldn't find a good explanation about the different types of fascia (superficial, deep, proper), and the relationship between them, it's driving me crazy.

I looked everywhere and I understand some of the major concepts (muscle involvement and so) but I couldn't fully understand it.

Can anybody help me on this? )):

OnePunchBiopsy

General Surgery
Feb 3, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was an anatomy tutor in second year.

I'm having trouble understanding the nomenclature you are using. Without a structure to relate to (pectoral fascia, scarpa's fascia, etc) there is no frame of reference to explain the meaning behind the terms "superficial, deep, proper). Superficial things are usually on top of deep things, and proper things are usually separate from objects that appear similar but are not the true structure, or a junction of 2 objects before their branch point (proper hepatic a.)

I would stick to just memorizing the structures required in your lab, and finding them based on their anatomical relationships. Like skin > camper's fascia > scarpa's fascia >the 3 muscles I don't feel like typing > transversalis fascia > peritoneum. Try not to overcomplicate it and you'll be fine!