Topscore 2 Q 38

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sublimation

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of the following is not tru about the calvin cycle and the kreb cycle?

A. both cycles use and produce CO2
B. CO2 is fed into Calvin cycle and produced in kreb cycl.
C. Reducing power is utilized in the calvin cycle and NADH is Removed in the kreb cyc.
D. Energy is used int he calvin cycle ATP to ADP, energy is produced in the kreb cycle ADP to ATP
E. A & C

now i went with E. cuz NADH is not removed in the kreb cycle its produced. we dont get NAD+ we get NADH..it says the answer is A?

Members don't see this ad.

Which of the following is not tru about the calvin cycle and the kreb cycle?

A. both cycles use and produce CO2>>Kreb cycle produces CO2 (You exhale this CO2), while the Clvin cycle uses CO2 (Carbon fixation is the first step of the dark reactions--Planting tree is a good thing, because they reduce the CO2 content of the air and release O2).
B. CO2 is fed into Calvin cycle and produced in kreb cycl.
C. Reducing power is utilized in the calvin cycle and NADH is Removed in the kreb cyc.>>It is true that NADH is removed from the Kreb cycle and utilized in the electron transport chain; however, it is not true that the reducing power is utilized in the Calvin cycle. In the Calving cycle NADH is oxidized back to NAD+, and the energy released from this process is used to derive the dark reactions.
D. Energy is used int he calvin cycle ATP to ADP, energy is produced in the kreb cycle ADP to ATP
E. A & C

now i went with E. cuz NADH is not removed in the kreb cycle its produced. we dont get NAD+ we get NADH..it says the answer is A?

Hope this helps!

A seems right. If you are transforming NADH --> NAD+, it's an oxidation which means that the NADH is a reducing agent thus you are using its reducing power.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohhhh! NOT true!
Sorry, I kept thinking the question is asking which one is true.
Well, I guess it's E then.
What a horrible question.:laugh:

I kno!! lol i get sooo worked up with questions like those. Am i gonna see any like those on the real thing?

I kno!! lol i get sooo worked up with questions like those. Am i gonna see any like those on the real thing?
There are questions like this, but not as vaguely worded as this one. This one is really confusing.
Does TopScore provide an explanation for it?

A seems right. If you are transforming NADH --> NAD+, it's an oxidation which means that the NADH is a reducing agent thus you are using its reducing power.

I've gotta agree with this! At least that's how I understood the problem when I took this test last week.

C is true. Reducing power is used in the Calvin Cycle from NADH to reduce CO2 into carbohydrates. Thus reducing power is consumed by the cycle, or fed to the cycle by NADH. In the Krebs cycle, NADH is formed and removed, to be used in the ETC. That makes both parts of C true. A is the only false statement.

C is true. Reducing power is used in the Calvin Cycle from NADH to reduce CO2 into carbohydrates. Thus reducing power is consumed by the cycle, or fed to the cycle by NADH. In the Krebs cycle, NADH is formed and removed, to be used in the ETC. That makes both parts of C true. A is the only false statement.

I agree that Calvin cycle uses reducing power (of NADPH, not NADH, right?), but in kreb's cycle, NADH is produced, that's not the same thing as it being removed. ETC is what "removes" the NADH, nope?

oops, Yeah, it's NADPH.

Anyway, the way I see it, the NADH is produced during the Krebs cycle in the mitochondrial matrix and is removed from the cycle to be utilized elsewhere. That's how I'd go with it. You can chalk it up to bad wording if you still want to debate that. What's important is that everyone knows that the NADH is made in the Krebs cycle and later used in the ETC. I don't remember seeing any sort of questions on the real DAT where I'd go "hey, this is really vague."

if Utilizing the reducing power means that NADH is oxidized to NAD+ then I would say C is true.

The second part of C is true, its is just worded bad but NADH is removed from krebs. Think of it this way, what is the opposite of removed...added...is NADH added in krebs? no. SO they must be talking about produced and hence removed.

if Utilizing the reducing power means that NADH is oxidized to NAD+ then I would say C is true.

The second part of C is true, its is just worded bad but NADH is removed from krebs. Think of it this way, what is the opposite of removed...added...is NADH added in krebs? no. SO they must be talking about produced and hence removed.

Well they're not saying removed FROM, it's saying removed IN krebs, which (I think) means the cycle is removing NADH. If they had said remove from, i'd agree with you.

But as UCB05 said, we all know NADH is being produced in krebs, so let's just hope DAT's wording is not this ******ed.