TopScore RC Structure vs Real DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

w4nt2baDDS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before you are given the questions in the RC section, you have a full-page view of the whole passage, with a scrolling bar. You then click "Next" and you are taken to the questions. There is a question with answer choices and the passage is in a window on the bottom with its own scroll bar. When you move on to another question, the entire passage will reload, causing you to go back to the first sentence of the passage. To help you keep track of the whole passage, you can use your eraser board to note down what each paragraph is about, and refer back to it when you are answering your questions.

That's the only difference between the real DAT RC section and TopScore's RC section (the passage will move to the beginning sentence after each question).

I found this 2011 post on RC differences/similarities between TopScore and the real DAT. Is the RC still structured this way?

Also, I just took a Top Score practice test and thought the text on the bottom of the screen was rather limiting, with only aprox. 10 lines or so visible at a time. Will the bottom window with text on the real DAT be just as small?

Hope I worded things clearly, kind of hard to explain.

Members don't see this ad.

RC Structure.jpg

Can anyone who has taken the DAT within the last 6 months or so confirm which setup is closer to the real DAT?

Also, if the setup is like Topscore will the text be crammed at the bottom like it is for my practice tests?

Members don't see this ad :)
Topscore has it right, the passage will be on the bottom and the questions will be on top.

BUT, the size of the text and overall screen presence is more similar to bootcamp.

Also, on the real DAT the entire passage is first shown without any questions. I and many others skip this screen in order to see the passage and questions at the same time. On the real DAT if you're half way through the passage but click on NEXT to see the next question you will be brought back to the top of the passage -- bootcamp also has this feature in their tests while topscore does not.

On my DAT the scroll feature on the mouse was deactivated. I had to click the scroll bar on the right and drag it down to progress through the passage. Not a big deal, but I had gotten use to using my mouse's scroll wheel.

My specific strategy was:
Read the first 3-4 questions
Scroll to the bottom of the passage to see how long it was.
Read 2/3 (more than half) of the passage.
Answer questions until I felt I needed to go back and finish the passage.

Worked well enough for me.

Last thing, often the questions also had a scroll bar! This means that at times answer choice E or D was out of sight. When this first happened to me, it threw me off for a second or two but once you realize you also have to use the question scroll bar it's not too bad. I just remember looking for the "NEXT" button and not seeing it.. Instead there is a "SCROLL" or "DOWN" button in its place. I forget it's exact name. When you click on this botton the question section is scrolled down automatically and the button turns in the "NEXT" button. This way, they make sure you don't overlook any potential answer choices.

Hope my advice helps!

Alright thank you so much for the advice! It really does help. I've actually never heard of topscore is it just practice tests? Or are the generators and stuff?

Just three full length tests. Simulates the real test, you don't get any type of scores or feedback until you are completely done with the tests. This is what the program is defaulted to.

However, you can change the settings so that you can take portions of each test at a time instead.. I only did this when reviewing the full length tests.

Alright thanks. So you should take these later on in your studying not at the beginning right?

Alright thanks. So you should take these later on in your studying not at the beginning right?

Take them the week of your exam. Used them mainly as a means to build test endurance... but also take advantage of reviewing the content you get wrong while taking them.