Topscore RC vs. Real DAT RC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimcath2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I just finished my second TOPSCORE and got 20 on both of my RC sections. but I did a lot worse on Achiever.
How much harder is the real DAT RC compared to topscore?
and also PAT. I got 21 and 22 for test 1 and 2. should I expect
something a lot harder than this?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Some people say that its much harder and that might be true. For me it wasn't the case. I thought it was comparable in terms of difficulty but you definitely get more tone/inference Qs on the real DAT.

Some people say that its much harder and that might be true. For me it wasn't the case. I thought it was comparable in terms of difficulty but you definitely get more tone/inference Qs on the real DAT.

I think it depends a lot on which version of the exam you get. On mine, topscore pales terribly in comparison to achiever, only because every question in Topscore asked for answers that were found almost word for word. On the real exam, you might find half the answer in paragraph 2, and then the other half of the answer in paragraph 6.

Like, for example, you have a passage on dinosaurs. The third paragraph tells you that a tyrannosaurus rex is a bipedal carnivorious poikilotherm. Then it goes on to talk about plant eating dinosaurs for 2 paragraphs. Then the 6th paragraph introduces the velociraptor and say they are carnivorious homeotherms. The 7th paragraph states that all carnivorious homeotherms back then ate only birds. Then the 8th paragraph says all carnivorious poikilotherms ate only fish. The question will be like, according to the article, a tyrannosaurus rex's diet consists mostly of? (Yea i know this is incorrect, but you get the idea).

You'll actually have to READ to get this answer right. In topscore, all you have to do is look for tyrannosaurus rex in the passage you will find like, "The tyrannosaurus rex's diet consisted only of fish." Big difference for people who rely solely on search and destroy. People who can read and remember where certain stuff are located at, even if they dont remember every little detail, are at an advantage here. You remember where the food section is, and you go there but don't remember if a TRex is a poikilotherm or a homeotherm, but you also remember where the TREX section is too, so you're in luck! If you use SnD, you find Tyrannosaurus rex, but can't find their diet, and then you start to panic, and before you know it time is up lol. Yea...

Last edited:
Good point americanpierg, forgot toe mention those problems where you need to read multiple paragraphs for the answer. There are also some questions that give you two statements and the answers are:

Both are true/ Both are false/ First one is true, second one is false... etc etc.. Those can be pretty annoying

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought it was pretty comparible to both achiever and Top score. More tone questions but if you even read some of the passage you should be able to answer most of them. You can check out what I had to say about it in my blog if you are curious. The link is below.

For RC: at first, I got 20s on Topscore and I got an 18 on the real thing. IMO, Top score is really easy. Try Achiever for more practice on RC. Same for PAT and Math on Top score. I was averaging 20's on PAT (got a 19) and 23's on math (I got a horrible score on the real DAT). Basically, all of my highest Top score scores were my lowest scores. My sciences on Top score were around a 20 and on the real thing I was much higher.