Topscore vs. DAT achiever?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EmanUT

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took Kaplan and want to take some practice tests from a different source. Should I buy Topscore or DAT achiever and why? Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Strongly recommend both.

Topscore is probably most accurate to the actual test.

DAT Achiever is the BEST practice test in terms of actual preparation.

i agree, i used both and theyre great practice. i did the tests several times so that if i saw the same type of question on the actual dat, i would be able to do it. good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
i hated topscore. the 3 tests are very similar, and my topscore expired before i took the dat. they refused to update it for free. they lied to me when i bought the program. they mentioned that i will get free updates until i pass the dental admission test, but they changed this recently and i wasted the money that i paid for it. dat achiever is 100 times better than topscore.

I agree with the last post-

The TOPSCORE program was decent, but they were a**es about allowing extensions and such. I mean, if you pay for the dang program you should at least be able to use it up until you're ready to take the test. :thumbdown: to all TOPSCORE staff.

I will be purchasing DAT achiever shortly.

I just took the test 1 from DAT achiever, and the PAT section was really hard compared to toscore and other sources. I got 18,(i got 21 in topsccore, 24 kaplan final) but I really had a tough time, and barely finished it. Any comments on that for how it compares to the actual test?

:cool:

RE4 said:
I just took the test 1 from DAT achiever, and the PAT section was really hard compared to toscore and other sources. I got 18,(i got 21 in topsccore, 24 kaplan final) but I really had a tough time, and barely finished it. Any comments on that for how it compares to the actual test?

:cool:

PAT on DAT Achiever is much much harder than the real thing and I don't think you need to worry about it. But it surely helps if you can improve the score on Achiever PAT.

I used both programs and suggest getting and doing both for max practice. DATachiever is harder in most section, but is a GREAT study tool. Make sure to review all the answers (right and wrong) and read the detailed explanations.

remember: DATachiever > Real DAT > Topscore in level of difficulty.

That's why both are good study tools.

Good luck.

issa said:
i hated topscore. the 3 tests are very similar, and my topscore expired before i took the dat. they refused to update it for free. they lied to me when i bought the program. they mentioned that i will get free updates until i pass the dental admission test, but they changed this recently and i wasted the money that i paid for it. dat achiever is 100 times better than topscore.

SAME HERE! man.... i had to pay for it TWICE!!!! I bought topscore sophomore year...opened it up to see what it was like... and then when it comes to taking the actual exam after a year...i can't even use it!!! ARGH!!!

Hey everybody who is upset with TopScore and its expiration...

I recently ran into the same problem with the program expiring and I simply uninstalled the program, then reinstalled it. I had kept my receipt so I had all the pertinent info (license key, e-mail & phone # i used to buy it with, etc) and just retyped it in when prompted and BAM, good as new.

Worked for me, give it a try... couldn't hurt.

I still don't know what to do. I don't know if I mentioned it but I took the Kaplan course and have the 3 practice tests from that to take. I don't want to take DAT achiever, do horrible and lose confidence. Then again, I don't want to take Top Score, do great and gain false confidence. If Top Score is more accurate to the real test, then I think that is the route I am going to take.

EmanUT said:
I still don't know what to do. I don't know if I mentioned it but I took the Kaplan course and have the 3 practice tests from that to take. I don't want to take DAT achiever, do horrible and lose confidence. Then again, I don't want to take Top Score, do great and gain false confidence. If Top Score is more accurate to the real test, then I think that is the route I am going to take.

Don't be bummed if you get a score you don't want. Its just a way for you to know what you need to improve on. No one walks into any prep course and gets what they hope to get on their diagnostics. Thats the purpose of having these tests... know where you stand at now, even if its with something harder than the DAT will be. At least you know when you walk into the actual test, you'll be a lot more prepared than if you never took those tests.

With only those 3 practice tests from Kaplan, you are kind of limiting yourself. Get topscore and dat achiever and it'll help you with more exposure to what the actual test will be like, plus, it helps you get used to building up your "test stamina" by taking more 4.5 hour tests.

I bought the Topscore, and it's horrible! The questions are the same thing from test to test just in different words. Also, the people there are really unhelpful. When you try to call their number, no one answers. I'm still waiting to hear back from a message I left last week. Plus, the DATAchiever is much better preparation.

Well, my mind has changed yet again! Everyone seems to be knocking TopScore, so it looks like I am going with DAT Achiever. I am taking the test June 5 and have already gone through the Kaplan book twice (Finishing my second round of Ochem this week). Our semester ends on May 5, so I will have exactly one month of 10 hour days to study for the DAT. In that month, do you think 3 online Kaplan Tests and 3 DAT Achiever tests will get me to where I want to be. I have already taken 4 Kaplan Paper tests and so it will be a total of 10 practice tests. Let me know your opinions and thanks everyone for your help!

EmanUT said:
Well, my mind has changed yet again! Everyone seems to be knocking TopScore, so it looks like I am going with DAT Achiever. I am taking the test June 5 and have already gone through the Kaplan book twice (Finishing my second round of Ochem this week). Our semester ends on May 5, so I will have exactly one month of 10 hour days to study for the DAT. In that month, do you think 3 online Kaplan Tests and 3 DAT Achiever tests will get me to where I want to be. I have already taken 4 Kaplan Paper tests and so it will be a total of 10 practice tests. Let me know your opinions and thanks everyone for your help!

LISTEN!!!! If you are taking the DAT in May, you have plenty of time to do 6 practice exams!!!

Don't burn yourself out and study 10hrs/day, unless you take some breaks. Every 3 days dake a test and review your notes and the test in between.

There might be problems with getting extensions on Topscore, but you are taking your test in a month, so don't worry. Spend the extra $50 and get both programs. BOTH are a great tool to simulate real DAT experience.

And instead of debating this for weeks, I suggest to get in to and start taking them.

Good luck.

p.s. that's what i used, Topscore, DATachiever, Kaplan blue book, worked out well.