TopScore vs Real DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elysian12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my scores from Tests 1 and 2

Test 1:
Bio: 16 GC: 17 Ochem: 18 TS: 17 PAT: 20 RC: 21 QR: 17 AA: 17

Test 2:
Bio: 17 GC: 18 Ochem: 19 TS: 19 PAT: 21 RC: 21 QR: 18 AA: 18

How similar is Topscore to real DAT? On Bootcamp, I have been getting nothing less than 19s in all sections. The only section I feel is easier is the PAT. On Crack PAT and Bootcamp, I am happy to get a 19. I have no idea why my sciences are so low. I think some of the questions are really specific.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Topscore sciences are indeed pretty difficult.. the curves are pretty high for both tests. PAT and RC are a breeze and should not be used as a relative marker. QR is stupid. waste of time for topscore.. the actual test is not even close to that

Topscore sciences are indeed pretty difficult.. the curves are pretty high for both tests. PAT and RC are a breeze and should not be used as a relative marker. QR is stupid. waste of time for topscore.. the actual test is not even close to that

What do you mean when you say the curves are pretty high?

What do you mean when you say the curves are pretty high?
I remember getting 27/30 right on OC and still got a score of 21 on topscore... which is unrealistic.. I think the types of questions are good though for bio but just don't rely on that for PAT, QR or RC.

Members don't see this ad :)
The RC and PAT are wicked easy. The QR is funky too with some of the question types and templates they use for questions. The sciences are pretty on point though, so TopScore is good for that. For everything else though I would use something else. I used Topscore mostly to start taking my full length tests a couple weeks before my exam just to get a feel for sitting down for 4.5 hours. And yeah the curves are really high. I remember getting 75 or 77 out of 90 on PAT and that was only a 21. On the real DAT it would be higher than that.

Reactions: 1 users
The RC and PAT are wicked easy. The QR is funky too with some of the question types and templates they use for questions. The sciences are pretty on point though, so TopScore is good for that. For everything else though I would use something else. I used Topscore mostly to start taking my full length tests a couple weeks before my exam just to get a feel for sitting down for 4.5 hours. And yeah the curves are really high. I remember getting 75 or 77 out of 90 on PAT and that was only a 21. On the real DAT it would be higher than that.

So I am probably looking at around a 19/20 on the real thing?

I mean it really depends on the version of test you get and how you feel closer to your test. It all depends. I got 21 on PAT for every topscore but got a 24 on the real thing. On QR I always got 17 and got a 19 on real. DAT BC is the best product if you ask me. The best predictor, however, is the 2009 ADA online practice test.

I mean it really depends on the version of test you get and how you feel closer to your test. It all depends. I got 21 on PAT for every topscore but got a 24 on the real thing. On QR I always got 17 and got a 19 on real. DAT BC is the best product if you ask me. The best predictor, however, is the 2009 ADA online practice test.

Okay thank you. My test is in a week and half so instead of doing the 3rd topscore test ill do the 2009 ADA online practice test.

I'm finding it so hard to just keep studying and not forgetting all the material I've learned. Do you have any advice for someone who is taking the DAT in 3 weeks?

I would do both. I was doing a test every other day and then fully reviewing it after.
I agree! Might as well get as much exposure as possible!
@dentalgirl101 if you haven't started doing full length practice exams, now might be a good time to start. 1 test a day plus reviewing mistakes is easily a 6+ hr day

Reactions: 1 user
What have you used so far?
I've used up all my Qvault exams, chad's quizzes, the destroyer, all my bootcamp tests except for the last one. I can't afford to buy achiever and top score so I think I'm just going to go with topscore. I might also do the 2007/2009 DAT but I've heard from several people that they aren't worth my time.

I've used up all my Qvault exams, chad's quizzes, the destroyer, all my bootcamp tests except for the last one. I can't afford to buy achiever and top score so I think I'm just going to go with topscore. I might also do the 2007/2009 DAT but I've heard from several people that they aren't worth my time.
WOW you have done a lot! I have heard the 2007 test is bad, but 2009 is supposed to be okay(I didn't take those though). Just a heads up, I have heard Achiever is a "confidence killer" but is good since it's really hard, but then Topscore is more on the easier side (except for the sciences). But I think any one of the two will still be good practice

WOW you have done a lot! I have heard the 2007 test is bad, but 2009 is supposed to be okay(I didn't take those though). Just a heads up, I have heard Achiever is a "confidence killer" but is good since it's really hard, but then Topscore is more on the easier side (except for the sciences). But I think any one of the two will still be good practice
Haha somehow it still doesn't feel like enough :(. I'll definitely look into either one for practice. Have you taken your DAT yet?