Torn between Cornell (A) vs Columbia (accepted off WL)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nymedschoolfan

Reaction score
Originally committed to Cornell, but was accepted off Columbia's waitlist recently. I was set on declining my Columbia offer but I've been seriously considering.

I'm from SoCal interested in orthopedic surgery and surgical specialties, and want to match back into SoCal. CoA is identical for both as they are debt free and the packages very similar.

Columbia
+ T5 school, more prestigious, sexy name brand that could open so many doors.
+ better surgical specialty departments and integration of them into curriculum. could easily switch interest
+ faculty love to work with students on research here and have heard very good things from current students
+ loved my faculty interviews. they seem like they really wanted me to be there

- where my ex gf goes... although we ended on good terms i'd prefer to not see her for my own sake.
- student housing much worse than Cornell
- location is not a good fit. grew up in the inner city so I've had enough of that..
- student interviewees felt a bit uptight and pretentious
- not that much interaction with the incoming students yet

Cornell
+ got a good feel of the school and students based on revisit weekend, also interacting with incoming students and think they're a fun bunch
+ perfect location even though it's quite homogeneous
+ HSS affiliation. Ortho matches historically have been amazing at Cornell in past years
+ small class size 106 (88 MD, 18 MD/PhD) and student housing being where the majority lives makes the class seem very cohesive. lots of class bonding and trips.

- perceived as the "worst Ivy" so it's brand-name isn't as good as Columbia's? But in medicine they seem to be close equals even sharing the same hospital system.
- not many matches into CA and match list is not as surgical as Columbia's
- seemed like a low yield school and most admits went to other T10 schools. wonder why it is not as desireable as other top schools?
- interview day was not that great.

Please share your input, and I would especially like to hear from folks who had to make the same or similar decisions. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My kid was deciding between these two schools.
Nearly identical list of pros and cons.
Leaning Cornell due to nicer location, better housing and also affect of a more cohesive group / friendships, and lastly a slightly younger feeling class age. No aid from either.
I don’t have a plausible theory on yield except for traditionally being the number two school in NY.
If my kid wasn’t also interested in Ortho, Columbia likely would be their choice.

Can't really go wrong either way but if I was in this situation, I'd think about how set I am on ortho. If I'm all in, I'd go to Cornell. If not, Columbia.

Members don't see this ad :)
All your cons for Cornell seem lesser than Columbia, except for your first con, which doesn't really apply to medical school (take Brown, for example) because I think that is a common notion among students applying to undergrad colleges. If you care more about location, go Cornell. If you are not sure and want that prestige bump, go Columbia.

Was also deciding between these two and also interested in ortho. Ultimately decided on Columbia for the name boost plus their ortho match is really strong and I plan on doing research at HSS anyways. Another thing is that Columbia doesn't have AOA (it's released after match day) whereas at Cornell there is AOA. However if I were in your shoes with the GF issue I'd go to Cornell. Seeing an ex would just be awkward tbh.

Reactions: 1 users
Was also deciding between these two and also interested in ortho. Ultimately decided on Columbia for the name boost plus their ortho match is really strong and I plan on doing research at HSS anyways. Another thing is that Columbia doesn't have AOA (it's released after match day) whereas at Cornell there is AOA. However if I were in your shoes with the GF issue I'd go to Cornell. Seeing an ex would just be awkward tbh.
Can you please elaborate on your plans and methods for Columbia Student getting research at HSS and competing with Cornell students for research and elective clinical rotations? Trying to weigh the argument for Ortho-specific choice between the two schools.

Can you please elaborate on your plans and methods for Columbia Student getting research at HSS and competing with Cornell students for research and elective clinical rotations? Trying to weigh the argument for Ortho-specific choice between the two schools.
Making connections at HSS won't be too hard just by asking around and talking to people/advisors. I know several people in my undergrad who were already working at HSS while still in undergrad or during gap years. Doing an away at HSS especially if you're coming from a school like Columbia should be pretty straightforward assuming you're a good student and are proactive about it.

I honestly think that your ability to match into whatever you want isn't going to matter that much between the two schools unless you're really looking for top tier academic residencies, and even then the difference is going to be relatively very small. The difference in prestige is there but it's not likely to have any practical impact.

I think you should decide based on location. Columbia's in a cheaper location, but if you're done with living in that sort of area you should go to Cornell. Also if you're going to have 0 COA, shouldn't you take advantage of that and live in the more expensive location :p

I think a lot of people look at Cornell in the way that you do, meaning they choose other marginally more prestigious schools. I don't think you should base your decision on the school's yield in this case. If I were you, I would choose Cornell--it's more of a clean slate for you, and will allow you to better focus on what you need to focus on (and more easily have fun when you have time).

If you're interested in ortho, I would choose Cornell in a heartbeat for HSS. Also the UES is going to be MUCH quieter if you've had enough inner city.

If you're interested in ortho, I would choose Cornell in a heartbeat for HSS. Also the UES is going to be MUCH quieter if you've had enough inner city.
I live in nyc. First I wouldn't really call Washington Heights "inner city". Inner city would mean like specific parts of the Bronx. Second, the UES is busier and more hectic than Washington Heights, which is far uptown. UES is definitely the exciting area to be if you want to be closer to busier parts of the city.

To OP: do you want to be closer to all the "action" of nyc or do you want to live in a calmer, more residential area?

Members don't see this ad :)
Cornell- no question! HSS is RIGHT there.

Cornell is at the heart of a wonderful research circle between Rockefeller, Sloan Kettering, HSS, NYP (all powerhouses in their own realm)- all within a 2 block radius. You'd be remiss not to go there since you already have several cons on your Columbia list.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I live in nyc. First I wouldn't really call Washington Heights "inner city". Inner city would mean like specific parts of the Bronx. Second, the UES is busier and more hectic than Washington Heights, which is far uptown. UES is definitely the exciting area to be if you want to be closer to busier parts of the city.

To OP: do you want to be closer to all the "action" of nyc or do you want to live in a calmer, more residential area?

OP felt it was inner city after visiting, I was just using his words. And I lived on the East side, definitely not more hectic. You would be hard pressed to find a quieter, more residential area in the city than right around Cornell.

Despite HSS being affiliated with Cornell, Columbia is arguably the better med school for med students who want to do ortho. The chair is well known as probably the best medical student mentor in the country in ortho, maybe in all of surgery. On top of that it's perhaps the best school in the country for people interested in surgery overall. Surgeons & Surgeons, etc., although as these fields have become more meritocratic things are probably evening out some.

Washington Heights is a major negative. It's awful. It may not be hectic in the sense that midtown is hectic during the morning rush on a weekday, but it's loud and dirty. You could live elsewhere on the west side, though. The west side is really the place to be these days. No doubt though that the Cornell location is way better.

OP felt it was inner city after visiting, I was just using his words. And I lived on the East side, definitely not more hectic. You would be hard pressed to find a quieter, more residential area in the city than right around Cornell.
hmm interesting. I always feel like washington heights is so dead and quiet that I barely feel like I'm in the city anymore. Also a decent number of people live across the GW bridge in NJ so if you really want to out of the city that's an option too. UES always felt much busier with more to do. It definitely has more of that hustle bustle manhattan feel, at least for me. in my opinion UES also has a more "cleaned up" feel if that's what OP prefers. If I were choosing purely based on location I'd go with cornell.

Last edited:
Despite HSS being affiliated with Cornell, Columbia is arguably the better med school for med students who want to do ortho. The chair is well known as probably the best medical student mentor in the country in ortho, maybe in all of surgery. On top of that it's perhaps the best school in the country for people interested in surgery overall. Surgeons & Surgeons, etc., although as these fields have become more meritocratic things are probably evening out some.

Washington Heights is a major negative. It's awful. It may not be hectic in the sense that midtown is hectic during the morning rush on a weekday, but it's loud and dirty. You could live elsewhere on the west side, though. The west side is really the place to be these days. No doubt though that the Cornell location is way better.

Highly agree with this sentiment. The ortho docs at Columbia are some of most well known, Dan Riew, Lenke, etc. You really can't go wrong with either school but understand most of HSS is mostly bread and butter elective procedures - you'll see more complex cases in ortho at Columbia.

I got the vibe that Columbia is probably the best place to do surgery for sure - how about if I want to do medicine or a competitive speciality like dermatology should I change interests? Would Columbia still provide a more significant edge over Cornell? I wonder if it would be worth taking over the slight sacrifice on quality of life due to Columbia's crappy location.

cornell. No ex gfs in 2021
i'd go cornell. location and i wouldn't wanna see my ex either

Haha... we broke up over long distance but you know I just want to think with my brain and not other parts when I'm in school..
Currently slightly leaning over to Columbia b/c prestige & opportunity but my physician mentors have told me to follow my heart and that I would do fine at either school. Sigh.

Hey! I didn’t get into the Columbia (fat R), but if I did, I would’ve chosen Cornell too.

Personally, location matters a lot for me. Upper east side >>> Washington Heights.

Where I live the first year also would’ve impacted me. Olin isn’t great, but better than the dorms that Columbia offered lol. Didn’t get to peep into m2-m4 housing, but Cornell’s was pretty sweet given the price.

both debt free, so I’d imagine finances aren’t a big deal

surgical specialities ... people have said Columbia is better, so I give them that edge. If you’re interested in ortho though, you definitely won’t be taking a loss coming to Cornell.

HSS is sick to be affiliated with.

smaller class size. I’m sure Columbia has a plethora of resources and opportunities, but the idea of having so many research powerhouses right next door for the smaller class...just seems very appealing for a smaller class.

feel like social life would be better at Cornell. I agree that my interview day at Columbia > than Cornell ... but revisit made me feel better. I mean that pamphlet they sent got me excited about the social life on the upper east side haha

But go with your heart! You have an incredible decision to make, and you’ll be successful wherever you go :)

Reactions: 3 users
Decided to go with my heart and CTE'd to Cornell today. Columbia is fantastic too, but I think I'd be a little happier at Cornell! Thanks everyone :)

• Love
Reactions: 14 users