Torn between programs. Any advice on how to decide?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cashew2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am completely torn between 3 programs. I loved the program at one but I don't know how I feel about the location and it is the most expensive in tuition (only between 15k and 20k more overall). The next one is the cheapest and the location is ok but kind of high cost of living. I thought it was a decent program but I didn't really love it either. The last one has a great location with cheap cost of living, the tuition isn't too much more than the cheapest program, and I did like the program, but not as much as the first one. Each one has its positives and negatives. So I need some advice. How have you decided on program when you were completely torn?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
it's pretty apparent to me that the third one is the one you liked the best. location, price and satisfaction with program...what else do you want? You say that the difference in cost between 1 and 2 is only 15-20k? If you're borrowing money for tuition, don't forget to include the cost of interest accumulating on that 15-20K. It seems insignificant, but it will add up. If 1 has high tuition and 2 has high cost of living, they sort of cancel each other. But there's always the interest on tuition that you won't have with COL.

I agree with Nicole. It seems you've already made up your mind. The third choice has the best balance of cost, location, and quality. You're not going to find your perfect school. I like my program but I wish I were paying in-state tuition. Take the third one.

Kevin

I'm in a similar situation Cashew2013. I'm struggling to decided what is most important to me - location, program/profs, and tuition. I'm arranging to talk to some current therapists about the decision and what factors they deem most important. Maybe you could do the same?
Out of curiosity, would you message me with which campus' you're between? I'm wondering if we're between some of the same schools. Haha!