1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Toronto it is!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Woodsy, May 5, 2004.

1. Woodsy

Woodsy S-D-N Blue Blood
    7+ Year Member

Ok,

I have made my decision. I'm staying in Toronto.

Saving a lot of money means more to me than going to an amazing school.

Both schools are good and both have great people, but the perks for going to U of T is just too great. Some of you will be like good, stay in Canada.

Well I'll stay in Canada for the next four years but you can bet that I'll be here later on.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gryffindor

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    It's Canadians like you, who bail on American schools as soon as they get into Canadian schools that have slowed the consideration of Candian students at my dental school.

The school was so tired of accepting Canadians and having them leave in favor of Canadian dental schools (sometimes after classes had already started here for a few weeks!) that they just decided to shove them aside for a while and consider other American and International students instead.

Of course, the Canadians always seem to come back and do the AEGD and GPR programs around here after graduation from dental school. The current AEGD class is full of U. Toronto recent grads. From the sounds of your post, seems like we'll be seeing you here in a few years as well.

Good luck.

4. bryan45876

bryan45876 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Glad you finally decided, at least now your signature won't be as long. :)

5. Zurik5

Zurik5 Feel the Illinoise.....
    5+ Year Member

Congrats, you made the right decision... Purdue blows ;)

6. Woodsy

Woodsy S-D-N Blue Blood
    7+ Year Member

Griffin, NOthing personal, just business

7. Bickle

Bickle future NYC taxi driver
    10+ Year Member

Be my friend....godfather. :thumbup:

8. Dr.BadVibes

Dr.BadVibes Membership Revoked
    Removed

jesus....its about time you decided...Im sure many people will agree that you were getting quite annoying with your constant debating on this forum that dragged on for months, and starting your own thread to announce the "big" news was pathetic.

Relax griffin......geez, its not their fault that Canadian schools take forever to make their decision. Same $hit happens with other US schools as well. Take NYU for instance...many people will accept NYU and then find out later in the summer they got off the waitlist at their state school and dont show up for NYU orientation......thats the way things work....can you blame them?

9. ShawnOne

ShawnOne DDS over DMD
    7+ Year Member

Congrats on making your decision!

10. Woodsy

Woodsy S-D-N Blue Blood
    7+ Year Member

Thanks Avin, I can always rely on you to give me moral support. :thumbup:

11. Dr.BadVibes

Removed

nah man...I wish you all the best, and Im glad you made the "correct" decision, but i just thought you were annoying in the process...

12. Woodsy

Woodsy S-D-N Blue Blood
    7+ Year Member

hahaha thanks man, I know, I'm such bastard./

13. Ecks

Ecks Member
    7+ Year Member

How was he annoying?? The only constant annoyance here is you aving. You seem like a sad sad person.

14. Dr.BadVibes

Removed

Actually, Im a happy happy person.....I just found out that not only am I getting paid to goto Costa Rica, but Im also getting paid to goto Slovakia in the summer......happy happy!

15. Calculus1

Calculus1 G.V. Black Fan
    7+ Year Member

How'd you land that? This summer I'm going to San Antonio all expenses paid.... for military training.

16. Dr.BadVibes

Removed

Im doing an internship down in Costa Rica for the summer, but I was informed yesterday that Im going to be sent to Slovakia as well to work on their hospital restructuring program for a couple of weeks.....pretty cool stuff. I cant wait to visit Slovakia because Slovaks love their hockey and some quality players come from there! :D Also, that means hopefully I can make my way down to Hungary....I always hear that Budapest is amazing....gotta check out that jazz scene! I want to goto Prague as well, but its gonna cost me 50 bucks because Im Canadian and I need a Visa.....Americans dont! :mad: You win this round yankee bastards!

17. Blackstars

Blackstars Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Please Woodsy reconsider that decision, American dental schools are in dire need of canadian students. :laugh: :laugh:

18. bryan45876

bryan45876 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Avig - Where did you apply for this internship at? I really want to spend next summer(06) working abroad somewhere and so far the only way I've seen to do it is through Bunac?

19. Dr.BadVibes

Removed

Hey bryan.....Bunac is something like Swap.....they just help you get the visa and stuff but finding the job is up to you.....of course, these jobs are usually jobs that are considered general jobs, so usually people go there because (a) they want to just live in another country for a few months (b) they dont know what to do with their lives, so they are goign for some life experiences.

As for my internship, its a paid internship (pretty rare to find these) i found out through my University (Toronto), and its academically based. Since Im interested in health policy, I wanted more experience in the field, so I looked for these kind of internships. This particular internship had applicants from all types of universities, even preppy conceited Ivy League universities, but in the end, the two applicants from Toronto (including myself) were chosen :D

So it depends on what you are looking for. If its just to get away for the summer and make some small cash not caring what you are gonna be doing, go for Bunac.....but if you want a job in a field you are interested in, I would suggest to contact the relevant department within your university for opportunities......university career centres are always a good place to start. Good Luck!