Total number of IDP seats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meggs

Dpr@v@2
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's try to figure out the number of spots available for the 2004 entering IDP class in the US.

I've tried to collect the seats number from previous threads, the most useful one is IDP Programs: Positives and Negatives .

If any of you has more updated and secure information, please share it in this thread. Please DON'T polute this thread with messages irrelevant to the topic. Let's stick to the original idea.

UCSF-- 24
Loma Linda-- 16, divided in 2 groups.
BU-- 60. Edited: 65
UOP--- 16
UCLA--12
USC-- 32
NYU-- 120
UPenn-- 35 avg. (But last year they took 42 due to extra space available in reg batch).
Columbia--12
Tufts- 14
UPitt-- 15
UIllinois--20
UFl@Gainsville- 12

Marquette-- space based, 2 seats for 2004.
NOVA-- 1 spot guaranteed, the rest is space-based, average 5.(But in 2003, 10 people entered).
All Texas schools--- space based
Case Western-- space based, avg 3-4.
UConneticut-- space based, avg 2
Indiana U-- space based, avg 2
Detroit Mercy-- space based, avg 2
Stony Brook-- space based, avg 2
Buffalo-- space based, avg 2
Temple--?
Creighton-- space based. None available for 2004.

When we have enough updates and info collected, let's add it up.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
hi..
thats a great post........well u made me more hopeful.......:clap:

BU they have 65 .

UPENN = between 24 to 30 maximum .

Members don't see this ad :)
Sam you're right about BU.. they have 65 seats.

Dr. Lopez at UPenn told us that they have 35 IDP seats per year on average.

The Temple website says: "There is currently no advanced standing or transfer program at Temple University School of Dentistry." which probably means it is space based.

UFl in Gainsville.. They accept 12 foreign trained denitists (who are permanent residents of the US, preferably of florida) to their 2 year FTD certificate program (u do not get a DMD/DDS, but u can practise in florida and some other states. They recommend applying to their 4 yr DMD program if u want to specialize later) Florida residents have priority.

Got this info from the school websites.

Tasha

amazing post Tasha!!! Keep it up!

Thanks Tasha. A couple more members like you and this forum will be perfect. :)

Temple just say so in their website so people don't drive them nuts, but if you call them they'll email you the info required to apply. I did that, but they require part 2.

Thanks again. I'll edit the original post to update it.

Any more info on the other schools people?

HI,
As far as UCLA is concerned, they have 12 seats for 2004, but it changes every year. It started with 5, last year it was 10 and next year will be 15.

Also, if anyone is aware about which of these IDP programs are 3 yrs, please add that info.. so that people know.

Originally posted by sck
Also, if anyone is aware about which of these IDP programs are 3 yrs, please add that info.. so that people know.

On DDSFight's Positives and Negatives thread, it says so. But out of the top my mind they are NYU, Columbia, Nova, CaseW, Marquette and I belive Creighton is, but not too sure.

Thanks for your input.

aw, you're welcome! :)

All space based schools have a 3 yr program- Nova, UConn, IndianaU, UDetroitMercy, SUNY, Stony Brook, Buffalo NY, Temple, CWU, Marquette and Creighton. This is because we join all these schools in their 2nd year, and carry on with the regular students for the 3 remaining years.

Other schools which have a long program are NYU (3 years) and Columbia (2.5 years)

These I got from the +/- sticky.. may require some updating.

Tasha

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Tasha,
i believe Temple has a 2 year program..... a friend of mine has an interview there, so i know from her.. might be wrong though.

Columbia has a two-and-half year program....Starts in Jan......

Hello friends,
All schools in Texas have a 31/2 years programme and they need GRE besides NDBE-1.Only greencard holders are alloted seats.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by sree
Hello friends,
All schools in Texas have a 31/2 years programme and they need GRE besides NDBE-1.Only greencard holders are alloted seats.:rolleyes:

Do you know how many and wich Texas schools allow advanced standing? This is in order to do the seat calculation.

And about residency..... Yes, Texas school (even private ones) are very hard to get in for out of staters, even for regular DDS students. So, Texas residency is a must. Which is good if you're Texas resident, 'cause then you'll have less competition. :)

So, adding the numbers there are 393 spots for regular programs, which are NOT spaced based.

For spaced based programs there are aprox. 16 to 23 spots.

I guess when the school year starts we'll have current members reporting how many Advanced Standing classmates do they have. And then we'll be able to have a more nicely rounded number.

In any case, if you have any more accurate numbers, plese chip in. Thank you.

Hi Folks,
CWRU is two years and not a three year program..

Hi Meggs,
CWRU has an average of 3-4 seats,thats what they told me at the interview.I don't know how much difference that will make in the total ,but I still thought that I would inform future applicants.
take care:)

I updated the numbers for CaseW and Marquette.

Originally posted by pinktooth
Hi Folks,
CWRU is two years and not a three year program..

CWRU is 2 or 3 years program .It depends on your bench exam results .

USA dental colleges have 12ooo applicants in 2015,where 6000 got enrolled in all over USA and for International Students seats available are 450 approximately which varies each year