"Totally Inapropriate" question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Placebo Power

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a co-worker who wants to be a PT. She is observing a PT.
Today a patient fell.
Later my co-worker asked the PT in private "do they teach how to prevent falls in PT school?"
The PT answered the question.
Later, the PT's supervisor pulled my co-worker aside and asked if they teach how to prevent falls in PT school, that question was totally inappropriate"
my co-worker feels guilty, but doesn't understand why that question is bad
will one of you kind PTs shed some light on the issue please?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see why that question would be considered as inappropriate.
The only explanation would be that the supervisor thought your co-worker asked the question in an ironic way, i.e., "don't they teach you fall prevention methods in PT school, for you to let a patient fall?"

Reactions: 2 users
I have a co-worker who wants to be a PT. She is observing a PT.
Today a patient fell.
Later my co-worker asked the PT in private "do they teach how to prevent falls in PT school?"
The PT answered the question.
Later, the PT's supervisor pulled my co-worker aside and asked if they teach how to prevent falls in PT school, that question was totally inappropriate"
my co-worker feels guilty, but doesn't understand why that question is bad
will one of you kind PTs shed some light on the issue please?

Sounds like a misunderstanding between your coworker and the PT. The PT probably took it the wrong way and thought you're friend meant something like this "don't they teach you how to stop patients from falling on like your first day of PT school? I mean damn you dumb as hell...' when you're friend really meant nothing by it. Your coworker should just apologize for the misunderstanding and then start shadowing another PT who takes responsibility for their mistakes and doesn't play the victim.....

Reactions: 1 user