Touching base with admissions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CremasterFlash

Born yesterday.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a career changer (12 years in finance) halfway through my post-bacc. I have been working in emergency medicine research for the past year while taking classes and recently found out that I had four abstracts accepted for presentation (I am third author on them) at two upcoming emergency medicine conferences. Grades continue to be good, etc. I plan to apply in June of '08.

My question - I've met several admissions folks over the past year at various events. Can I touch base with them via email to update them on the abstracts/presentations and upcoming publication prospects or will that come off as pushy and annoying? As a former banker, it's my (learned) instinct to self-promote, but I realize that this is a different world.

Have you been in this situation? What is your advice?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a career changer (12 years in finance) halfway through my post-bacc. I have been working in emergency medicine research for the past year while taking classes and recently found out that I had four abstracts accepted for presentation (I am third author on them) at two upcoming emergency medicine conferences. Grades continue to be good, etc. I plan to apply in June of '08.

My question - I've met several admissions folks over the past year at various events. Can I touch base with them via email to update them on the abstracts/presentations and upcoming publication prospects or will that come off as pushy and annoying? As a former banker, it's my (learned) instinct to self-promote, but I realize that this is a different world.

Have you been in this situation? What is your advice?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Far too early for that. Admissions Committees need to have good, short-term memories. You'll be one e-mail or letter out of 1000 who has not applied, while they are actively dealing with around 7000 people who have applied. They will just throw it out and/or not pay any attention to it. Updates should ideally be sent only once - after you have applied and in one, focused package. I know that my school just hates it if they hear from the same applicant over and over again - though they welcome one, focused update package after application.

A better strategy is to perhaps schedule a meeting with the Director of Admissions at the school where you realistically could see yourself. Ask them for frank feedback on what you must do you make YOUR application stand out at THAT school. This way, you are a known face, you will gain valuable insight, and your efforts will not be wasted.

Good luck!

I might disagree with the above poster but only with certain schools. Some schools have very receptive admissions staff who really want to get to know you ... if this doesn't describe your meeting or you haven't been in touch with them previously (like official meeting etc) then just save it for applications. Admissions staff can't do much for you unless its the dean of admissions or something to that affect where the admissions staff is close.

Members don't see this ad :)
Flash.....Curious how you got into emergency research and were able to get published. Any tips?

I started as a volunteer at the emergency dep't helping with research projects and they hired me after a few months to be a research assistant. The hospital where I work is heavily oriented toward research and there were a few projects that needed a lot of help. I think I pretty much got lucky. I'm sorry I can't give any better advice, it's just very arbitrary. I do know that many hospital volunteer offices will ask if you want to focus on research and will try to place you appropriately. That might be a good place to start?

I appreciate the advise...thanks!