touchy subject Chiropractor!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMW19

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be somewhat touchy for some of you, after reading some of the posts. I was just wondering what anyone thought of a Chiropractor applying to DO school. How do the admissions boards view this? I just want to be able to do more for my patients. I am afraid some of the boards will be biased. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by BMW19
I just want to be able to do more for my patients.

I think that if you tell this to the admissions boards, you'll be just fine.

Touchy? No, not us!! :D

Seriously though, the fact that you realize that you can do more for your patients as a DO is a great first step. You won't be the only applicant who is pursuing medicine as a second career. I don't know anything about chiropractice, but I would guess that at least some of what you learned can possibly help you. You must keep in mind that OMM is different, so like all the other students, it will be completely new to you, and may even contradict what you have learned in the past. Just be clear about your reasons for wanting to be a DO, and make sure your stats are up to date.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a Chiropractor in our 1st year class at NYCOM. There are also several physical therapists and I believe one DPM. Many of our students are starting second careers and know that osteopathic medicine can help them fulfill their dreams.

NYCOM also has an Accelerated Program for Emigre Physicians (APEP). This is a program for foreign trained MD who wish to have obtain a US licence and become osteopathic physicians.

www.md-do.org

Good luck

From what I have been told, I am a very "touchy" person around here.

I don't have a problem with it. :)

Good luck with your applications.

There is nothing wrong with it...in fact, the last class that graduated from PCSOM had 2 chriopractors in it. If I was on an admissions board I would actually see it as a plus, because you probably know the body better then the majority of the students applying. I would foresure apply if I were you.

Hey, BMW19

Go for it. I was in the situation that you are in. My cirmcumstance is a little different in that I only spent the past 2 years in Chiropractic school and decided this year to discontinue and apply DO. I was very hesitant and I had the same questions you do. My instincts told me to give it a shot and now I already have one acceptance to LECOM (since NOV) and I have an interview at NYCOM next week. I truly believe that your experience in Chiropractic school is a plus and I know that going through my interview at LECOM that the education was definitely a plus in my application. Am I happy with my decision? You bet. One thing is for sure trust yourself and what you feel. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Anyone who has a problem with you applying to DO school has a problem themselves. You have an experience level that most DO students don't have entering med school; you have had your hands on many bodies and should understand not just structure but also function, and you have had patient contact from a practitioners point of view. Once you go to osteo school you will learn all that is available just like any other DO student and you can add the experience and knowledge that you already have. As a physician it will be your responsibility to expand the knowledge base you are given and find new innovative treatment methods. You will be so far ahead of the rest of the class starting off that you have a great opportunity to contribute to the profession. Good luck and be brave. It will be tough going back to school but it should be worth it. Sean.

I guess I can get touchy if touched inappropriately.

DO schools want variety and experience. DC's have experiences and education that others don't. I know that you guys have studied the basics (anatomy, etc.) and the schools will see that you'll have some sort of advantage from the get go.

As long as you don't disparage chiropractic schools or practitioners during your interview and see being a DO as simply an addition to your training and skills, they'll be into it.