Tough decision????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMoney

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where would you want to go to dental school at?? NOVA, Case, Tufts, or Arizona?? I am having a very hard time weighing the pros and cons. HELP peeps!! please add yours :)

Pros
Nova: great climate
Case: own chair in clinic
Tufts: great board exam averages, all specialties available
Arizona: new facilities, no tenure professors

Cons
Nova: low patient pool
Case: problem based learning starting in 2006, cold
Tufts: cold
Arizona: not accredited yet, no specialties (orthodontics in 2007 maybe)

Members don't see this ad.

Regarding Tufts, only 15% of their students go on to specialize, so that may not be a place to go if you want to get into a specialty.

JMoney said:
Where would you want to go to dental school at?? NOVA, Case, Tufts, or Arizona?? I am having a very hard time weighing the pros and cons. HELP peeps!! please add yours :)

Pros

Cons

Personally, If I had to choose,I'll go for AZ just because their clinics and school are beautiful and its close to Cali...my decision will be kind of bias, but dude, the schools you are putting on the table here are excellent dental schools with awesome programs....very tough decision in front of you

Members don't see this ad :)
JMoney said:

Pros

Cons
Did you receive an acceptance to Nova? Didn't see you list it in your Signature.

Pros:
Nova: beautiful women, sunny beaches, amazing nightlife, South Beach

Cons:
Nova: too many hot ladies, can't study! All those T&As, can't study! Too much sun, skin cancer! Everyone's beautiful, have to work out to look good!

Definitely don't come to Nova because of the cons listed above....oh yeah...we have absolutely no patients actually, we're foreced to work on each other to graduate. I started dental school with all my teeth intacted, I now have 3 dental implants, 5 crowns, a restoration on practically all my teeth, and a 5-unit bridge in my mouth. Not mentioning I had 6 teeth extracted! Like I said, gotta do what I gotta do to help my classmates graduate! :rolleyes:

Nova > AZ > Case > Tufts

Here are some tips for choosing your school:

1. If you're single, engaged or about to get divorced then Nova -- lots of women and hookers around.

2. If you're married, wanna produce more kids, Case is the way -- cold up here, sex all day long is part of the fun or torture.

3. If you're thinking of suicide, Arizona is your choice -- freaking hot weather, the thought of killing yourself or getting yourself killed is always in the back of your mind.

4. If you're gay, go to Tuft -- Gay marriage is allowed in this wonderful state of Massachusetts.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

DIRTIE said:
Nova > AZ > Case > Tufts

Why Tufts last?? I was ranking them Tufts>Nova>AZ>Case. I am really confused on my dilemma.

Plus I thought that Tufts would have the best chance to specialize do to the name and the fact that they usually rank within the top ten in board score averages

Out of the four schools rank what you think would be the best school to go to if you want to specialize!!

Does anyone have more info about clinic problems, speciality %, board exam or general school information?

Nova: great climate, new facilities

Cons
Tufts: ??15% specialize??, cold

they all cost the same amount 250-280K after four years!!

more input needed!!

JMoney said:
Cons

What makes you think they have a low patient pool?

Sk8aBull said:
What makes you think they have a low patient pool?

during my interview tour that was what the students said. they said that I should take it into consideration. I am not trying to cause a panic here just stating what I heard. Has anyone else heard this??

Members don't see this ad :)
aphistis said:
No way, man. Check the official American Dental Association/US News & World Report dental school rankings. ;)

I checked the rankings and it looks like Georgetown or Northwestern are my best options...

DIRTIE said:
Nova > AZ > Case > Tufts
Its a no brainer Like I said before except it would be a tough decision between Nova and Az. I can't even believe you were thinking about Tufts or Case over those two.
Nova = AZ > Case > Tufts

Its 25 degrees in Boston right now and 80 degrees in Ft. Lauderdale.

Just an observation.

HermeytheElf said:
I checked the rankings and it looks like Georgetown or Northwestern are my best options...
Pretty good. Maybe only the old-timers here will get that one.

aphistis said:
No way, man. Check the official American Dental Association/US News & World Report dental school rankings. ;)
And I thought I was the only one who liked to play dumb and further confuse everyone...

so does everyone pick a school based on the relative climate???

JMoney said:
so does everyone pick a school based on the relative climate???

You need to pick a school that you will be comfortable in for the next 4 years. Take into account the total environment of the school. Climate is a factor for some person while it is not for another.

JMoney said:
Why Tufts last?? I was ranking them Tufts>Nova>AZ>Case. I am really confused on my dilemma.

Plus I thought that Tufts would have the best chance to specialize do to the name and the fact that they usually rank within the top ten in board score averages

Out of the four schools rank what you think would be the best school to go to if you want to specialize!!

Does anyone have more info about clinic problems, speciality %, board exam or general school information?

Nova: great climate, new facilities

Cons
Tufts: ??15% specialize??, cold

I thought Arizona is acrredited already according to the website and what they said during the interview...

JMoney said:

Pros

Cons

The cold is not a reason to not go to a school, you may miss out on an excellent opportunity. Its not 15%, its 25% by the way, but the class size is usually 150, so thats nearly 40 people go on to specialize. When you compare that to other schools that have a class size of 100, i would be surprised if they send 50% of their students to specialty.

besides that, the workload is so rough 2nd year at tufts, many students just cant take school anymore and just want to get out into the real world finally. You'll find that the level of education is superior to most schools in the country and the board scores show that.

joyride said:
Its not 15%, its 25% by the way, but the class size is usually 150, so thats nearly 40 people go on to specialize.

Check the Tufts website. Its says 15%. Unless, of course, you count GPR/AEGD as specializing.

What is the Arizona board exam %'s?
How many people specialize at Arizona each year and where at?

Thanks in advance
Jason