Tough Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanesDent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been checking out this forum for a while, but this is my first post...

I have a deposit down at Maryland, but just received word (on the phone) that I have been accepted at Penn....I really liked Maryland when I visited, the new dental school is going to be incredible and the students and faculty seemed friendly and happy. I could definitely be happy at Maryland, but would I be a fool to pass up a chance to attend Penn, which I feel has a stronger program, better specialization rates, etc. I am out-of state at Maryland, so the cost really isn't too much of an issue..I'm going to be drowning in debt either way.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

You would be a fool to pass up Penn?? Seems like you really have your heart set on that school. If you really feel this way, go to Penn. Seems like you would be more happy there. Go with your instincts on this one. :)

Penn is a great school, but Maryland has a great future. Their new facility is going to be amazing giving their students a great academic and clinical facilty. And while I loved penn I was slightly dissappointed with their Classrooms...(food for thought) I would choose Maryland..

Members don't see this ad :)
I had an interviews at both UPenn and the University of Maryland. I haven't heard from UPenn but I've been extended an offer for admission to the University of Maryland (my 1st choice from the beginning) and I choose to go there for two main reasons: 1) I'm in-state and 2) it is a better clinical school. UPenn's focus is on dental research and many of the students who go to UPenn specialize. If you plan on doing dental research and/or specializing UPenn would probably be a better school for you. Remember, however, that to get into specialties you have to care about your grades and be ranked high in your class. Students in Unversity of Maryland also get into specialty programs, but the students I spoke with there seemed more interested in general dentistry.

Dental schools are no longer ranked so I don't know where Unversity of Maryland stands with regard to UPenn. I personality think both schools are good at what they emphasize at their schools (i.e. research vs. clinic) and you need to decide what are your goals and which school is compatible with those goals?

The ivy league thing plaguing your mind?

UPenn is an ivy league school and for some people that is a big deal, but for people who aren't atheletes the whole ivy league thing is irrelevant (in my opinion).

Good luck with your decision! Remember to do what is best for you :)

This is kind of a selfish response, but I think you should go to Maryland because I got waitlisted at PENN (gives me a better shot). In all seriousness though you have worked hard and get the luxury of picking between two great schools. Good Luck with your decision :)