Tough Interview Questions: How would you respond?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was nervous but doing okay on the ethical questions even though I paused a bit, but when he asked if I had any questions, I asked him about a rumor going around at my undergrad. Supposedly, a medical student from my undergrad dropped out, and this is why school Y was wary of applicants from my undergrad. He said this was ridiculous, the adcom doesn't look that deeply at your undergrad. He said my facts seemed far fetched, and I told him I personally knew 3 people who matched at school X and not at school Y. He asked how sure I was and he even said that school X gets the better students and school Y gets whoever's left over. I still can't believe he dissed his own school :confused:

As for the ethical questions, every time I gave a decent answer, he changed it to make it more difficult:

1) You are in lab with a good female friend. She pulls you aside to tell you that the TA has been touching her inappropriately and has been making advances. She has a boyfriend. She asks you to speak to the TA, but you have personally seen no evidence of wrongdoing. What do you do?

You go home and tell your family about the situation. Your father tells you to stay out of it. What do you do now?

You approach the TA, he completely denies it and says she is making it up. At this point, you still have seen no evidence of foul play. What do you do now?

Now she wants to talk to the dean, she wants you to go with her. You still have not seen anything happen. What do you do and what do you say if they question you?

2) You are a family practitioner and you are very busy seeing about 30 patients a day. You attend a family practice meeting and you are sitting next to 2 doctors. One is your friend whom you have known for a long time. He claims to see 60 patients a day. What do you tell him? (in terms of quality vs quantity)

The other doctor next to you sees 18 patients a day. What do you say to him?

What if the second doctor told you that he sees 18 a day, but there are 25 more patients who can't see him because he spends too much time on each patient, what do you say now?

Members don't see this ad.

you interviewer sounds very unnerving... i'm sorry he was a dickhead. just remember that the interview report is just one part of the criteria used to make admission decisions, and that people often have similar experiences and get in much to their surprise.

but this is all very strange... do you mind telling us which school this was?

constructor said:
you interviewer sounds very unnerving... i'm sorry he was a dickhead. just remember that the interview report is just one part of the criteria used to make admission decisions, and that people often have similar experiences and get in much to their surprise.

but this is all very strange... do you mind telling us which school this was?

check your pms

Members don't see this ad :)
sequoia said:
I've been getting ready for interviews and though I want to keep it natural and spontaneous, I also want to have given some of the tough ones some thought. I've ran into some pretty hard questions to answer. Feel free to post more tough questions and/or repsonses.

How would you answer this one:

How would you tell the mother of a two year old boy that her son has only one week to live? :(

uh uh uh uuummmmmm uuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh...screw this. i'm gonna be a janitor :rolleyes:

me. said:
uh uh uh uuummmmmm uuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh...screw this. i'm gonna be a janitor :rolleyes:

*LOL* Hey, manual labor sucks. I tried working at Walmart the summer between my first and second year of college. Third shift stocking. I wish I could get that summer of my life back. I have a new respect for how all those products get in their assigned spot. It is life experience though.

I'm curious about how you get a balance between patient care and quality.
'Ifailedmcat': How did you answer?

{gulp} gosh, does that suck. he seems like a drill seargent

to answer those spontaneously without thinking about it is really rough; even if you were in the situation in real life, you'd get a chance to think about it and evaluate it; i think i'd tell him that too...

sequoia said:
I'm curious about how you get a balance between patient care and quality.
'Ifailedmcat': How did you answer?

He did give me a little time, I paused to think quite a bit. As soon as I answered one question he made the situation more difficult to see how I would adjust my answer. He didn't just rattle off questions thank god.

Anyways, here's how I answered. My real answers had a bunch of pauses in between to think:

1) Him: You are in lab with a good female friend. She pulls you aside to tell you that the TA has been touching her inappropriately and has been making advances. She has a boyfriend. She asks you to speak to the TA, but you have personally seen no evidence of wrongdoing. What do you do?

Me: Of course I would talk to him. Even though I haven't seen anything wrong if I suspect that she is endangered or something might happen then I would have to approach him.

Him: Even though you haven't seen anything?

Me: Yes.

Him: You go home and tell your family about the situation. Your father tells you to stay out of it. What do you do now?

Me: I would still talk to the TA.

Him: So you wouldn't listen to your father?

Me: He probably doesn't understand the whole situation and I would tell him that, but yes I would still talk to the TA.

Him: So you approach the TA, he completely denies it and says she is making it up. At this point, you still have seen no evidence of foul play. What do you do now?

Me: I might be a bit more wary and I would ask her if the TA's behavior was still continuing. If it stopped, then we wouldn't have to worry about it. If he was still doing it, then I would keep my eye out for anything that might happen.

Him: Ok, so now she wants to talk to the dean, she wants you to go with her. You still have not seen anything happen. What do you do and what do you say if they question you?

Me: I would go with her to support her of course. If I was asked about what I had actually seen with my own eyes, then I would have to tell the truth and say I saw nothing.

2) Him: You are a family practitioner and you are very busy seeing about 30 patients a day. You attend a family practice meeting and you are sitting next to 2 doctors. One is your friend whom you have known for a long time. He claims to see 60 patients a day. What do you tell him? (in terms of quality vs quantity)

Me: I wouldn't say anything. If he can see that many patients than good for him.

Him: Would you believe him?

Me: If I've known him for a while then I would believe him and take his word for it.

Him: Ok so another doctor next to you sees 18 patients a day. What do you say to him?

Me: Nothing.

Him: You wouldn't be bothered that he's spending too much time on his patients?

Me: No, each doctor is different. Maybe some need to take more time than others. If one doctor is slower and it works for him, then it works for him. Every doctor works differently.

Him: What if the second doctor told you that he sees 18 a day, but there are 25 more patients who can't see him because he spends too much time on each patient, what do you say now?

Me: Well maybe that's his best pace. Maybe if you rush him he might not do his best work. Every doctor is different, we aren't able to tell how fast every doctor can work.

i think you answered those very well, especially considering the nature of the questions and his rapid pace fire. ugh, i'd die

Psycho Doctor said:
well then that sucks and should be changed; it's his baby too and why can't he petition for total custody?

It's not a baby, it's an embryo (or fetus). And last I checked, an adult cannot petition for custody over another adult's body (except in the case of developmental delay/incapability of decision-making/life support). The 'father' has no right to have custody over the 'mother's' body just because he wants her to go through a pregnancy she doesn't want for nine months, endure labor and delivery, and then hand over the baby to the 'father'. Women have the right to do with their bodies what they choose.

stinkycheese said:
It's not a baby, it's an embryo (or fetus). And last I checked, an adult cannot petition for custody over another adult's body (except in the case of developmental delay/incapability of decision-making/life support). The 'father' has no right to have custody over the 'mother's' body just because he wants her to go through a pregnancy she doesn't want for nine months, endure labor and delivery, and then hand over the baby to the 'father'. Women have the right to do with their bodies what they choose.

a fetus is a baby, not yet fully developed.

and unfortunately i know you are right but it's about time fathers got a say in saving the life of their baby...it sucks

ifailedmcat said:
:D Thanks. I felt like I died coming out of the interview.

he proably was trying to intimidate you and then evluating how you held up, knowing that doctors often have to make split second decisions. what school was it?

Psycho Doctor said:
a fetus is a baby, not yet fully developed.

and unfortunately i know you are right but it's about time fathers got a say in saving the life of their baby...it sucks

A baby is an independent living organism. A fetus is essentially a parasite with the mother as the host. It cannot survive on its own before a certain point, and after that, only with heroic measures. If an organism cannot survive on its own, but rather relies on a host organism, it is not entitled to the rights and privileges of an independently surviving organism - that is, one that can sustain its own biological processes outside of the host. A fetus will turn into a baby, but is not a baby. Big difference, and I for one do not think that anyone, "father", physician, or otherwise, has the right to tell a woman to host an organism she does not want to give life to. Women have rights, and men would love to continually diminish those rights or take them away. A man does have a say in whether or not he will have a baby: if he wants one, get pregnant with a woman who wants one. Don't sleep with someone and then expect them to live by your rules. If you're going to sleep with a woman who has differing views on abortion than you, then choose not to sleep with them. I find it amusing that men degrade women and use them as sexual objects in this society (and on this very forum), but then decide that when the consequences of their sexual actions do not suit them, that they should have power in the woman's decision-making. Women are degraded enough. Their bodies are still their bodies. End of story.

Members don't see this ad :)
stinkycheese said:
A baby is an independent living organism. A fetus is essentially a parasite with the mother as the host. It cannot survive on its own before a certain point, and after that, only with heroic measures. If an organism cannot survive on its own, but rather relies on a host organism, it is not entitled to the rights and privileges of an independently surviving organism - that is, one that can sustain its own biological processes outside of the host. A fetus will turn into a baby, but is not a baby. Big difference, and I for one do not think that anyone, "father", physician, or otherwise, has the right to tell a woman to host an organism she does not want to give life to. Women have rights, and men would love to continually diminish those rights or take them away. A man does have a say in whether or not he will have a baby: if he wants one, get pregnant with a woman who wants one. Don't sleep with someone and then expect them to live by your rules. If you're going to sleep with a woman who has differing views on abortion than you, then choose not to sleep with them. I find it amusing that men degrade women and use them as sexual objects in this society (and on this very forum), but then decide that when the consequences of their sexual actions do not suit them, that they should have power in the woman's decision-making. Women are degraded enough. Their bodies are still their bodies. End of story.

don't imply i degrade women..i would never use a woman and in fact would ot even have sex with one outside of marriage; sorry i believe man and woman should ecide together to have a bavy and then raise it.

i'll ge tinto this more tomorrow but i'm on my way out now...we are each entitled to our beliefs...

When does a baby become self-sustaining? Heroic measures are necessary for a baby to live outside the womb correct? So is infanticide okay if neither parent is willing to care for the baby?

arierty said:
When does a baby become self-sustaining? Heroic measures are necessary for a baby to live outside the womb correct? So is infanticide okay if neither parent is willing to care for the baby?

Damn, I had written a beautiful reply right before the boards went down. In summary: abortion is not akin to infaniticide. Peace out.

stinkycheese said:
I find it amusing that men degrade women and use them as sexual objects in this society (and on this very forum).

seriously guys, come on now... we need to stop degrading women and using them as sexual objects in this forum.

constructor said:
seriously guys, come on now... we need to stop degrading women and using them as sexual objects in this forum.

Have you been to the Lounge lately? Gender bias and prejudice is so pervasive in this society that most people don't notice it when it is staring them in the face, but it is there.

Did you know that the medicine has the biggest gap in pay equity of all the entire U.S.? Women still earn only 65% of what men do in the same specialties and level of experience after adjusting for various confounders. I have the article electronically if anyone wants to read it, just pm me.

Anyway, say you are asked in an interview to talk about the gap in salaries between genders. How do you account for the difference? What are the reasons women might be making less? What would you suggest to rectify the problem?

-Sequoia

yikes!! tough question. i'd like to read the article, can't you post the link here? then perhaps i'd have a better idea how to respond to the question

sequoia said:
Anyway, say you are asked in an interview to talk about the gap in salaries between genders. How do you account for the difference? What are the reasons women might be making less? What would you suggest to rectify the problem?

-Sequoia

Perhaps we're more likely to work less hours in order to care for our kids. Or perhaps we're nicer than guys and do more charity/pro-bono cases (just kidding guys :) ).

Here is the editorial of the article. The article itself is too large to attach here. I'm trying to make the pdf more compressed. Give me a few mintues.

Attachments

• The_Gender_Gap_in_Academic_Medicine.pdf
    68.4 KB · Views: 183
stinkycheese said:
A baby is an independent living organism. A fetus is essentially a parasite with the mother as the host. It cannot survive on its own before a certain point, and after that, only with heroic measures. If an organism cannot survive on its own, but rather relies on a host organism, it is not entitled to the rights and privileges of an independently surviving organism - that is, one that can sustain its own biological processes outside of the host.

Babies rely on parents, too. Not just for physical and mental support, but "biologically" as well (e.g. colostrum and breast milk in general provide nutrition and antibodies).

I don't think babies and fetuses are the same thing either, but your definition is poopy. I'm willing to bet babies don't do much better on their own than fetuses. :rolleyes:

Tiddly of Winks said:
Babies rely on parents, too. Not just for physical and mental support, but "biologically" as well (e.g. colostrum and breast milk in general provide nutrition and antibodies).

I don't think babies and fetuses are the same thing either, but your definition is poopy. I'm willing to bet babies don't do much better on their own than fetuses. :rolleyes:

There is a difference between providing care for a child, and providing a womb for a fetus. If you can't see that, I am sorry for you.

stinkycheese said:
There is a difference between providing care for a child, and providing a womb for a fetus. If you can't see that, I am sorry for you.

I don't think babies and fetuses are the same thing either.

Nuff said

babies could NOT survive on their own under any circumstances

Tiddly of Winks said:
I don't think babies and fetuses are the same thing either.

Nuff said

of course they aren't the same thing but they are both life and should not be killed

Psycho Doctor said:
babies could NOT survive on their own under any circumstances

Who said they could?

Psycho Doctor said:
of course they aren't the same thing but they are both life and should not be killed

Killing something is actively taking away viable life. Murdering a baby is taking away a life that is biologically independentally-sustaining. Murdering a cat is doing the same thing. Those organisms are not bothering you and you are actively taking away their life, and that is wrong. Taking a fetus out of a mother that does not want to host the organism is not murder because the fetus is not self-sustaining, it is parasitic. The mother does not have to house an unwanted organism in her body, and under no circumstances could this fetus survive on its own; therefore, abortion is the removal of an unwanted body of cells from a living being who chooses not to harbor those cells. Does this end the possibility of viable life? Yes. Does it end life? No.

stinkycheese said:
Who said they could?

Killing something is actively taking away viable life. Murdering a baby is taking away a life that is biologically independentally-sustaining. Murdering a cat is doing the same thing. Those organisms are not bothering you and you are actively taking away their life, and that is wrong. Taking a fetus out of a mother that does not want to host the organism is not murder because the fetus is not self-sustaining, it is parasitic. The mother does not have to house an unwanted organism in her body, and under no circumstances could this fetus survive on its own; therefore, abortion is the removal of an unwanted body of cells from a living being who chooses not to harbor those cells. Does this end the possibility of viable life? Yes. Does it end life? No.

i relly don't want to continue this argument; we are each entitled to our own opinions based on our ethics, morals and beliefs. however don't forget today a 22 or 24 week old fetus could live on its own. To relate a "fetus" to a parasite sounds totally insenstive.

I'd answer "Who the **** are you?"

Psycho Doctor said:
i relly don't want to continue this argument; we are each entitled to our own opinions based on our ethics, morals and beliefs. however don't forget today a 22 or 24 week old fetus could live on its own. To relate a "fetus" to a parasite sounds totally insenstive.

No, it couldn't live "on its own", but rather through heroic measures, and most abortions are performed well before this point of "viability" anyway. So it doesn't really matter that a 22-week old may have a small chance of making it when most abortions occur before 12 weeks.

stinkycheese said:
No, it couldn't live "on its own", but rather through heroic measures, and most abortions are performed well before this point of "viability" anyway. So it doesn't really matter that a 22-week old may have a small chance of making it when most abortions occur before 12 weeks.

most but not all....

Pinkertinkle said:
You sit em down and tell her. And I do doubt they ask that question in interviews.

Well, you are in for a surprise then, because they do. :rolleyes:

RaistlinMajere said:
I guess that's my point. Either way your choosing to save one life over another. Maybe they just want to get our thought process, but it's sort of a no win situation, which is unlikely to occur in the real world.

:confused: :confused: Really? What planet are you from?

I also think it is a bit insensitive to just "sit her down and tell her". I mean no feelings at all? I can't imagine that even from the toughest of doctors.

Mr. Seeds said:
I thought they were not supposed to ask questions on emotionally charged topics such as abortion. Correct me if I'm wrong :confused:

I got asked an abortion question.

:clap:
stinkycheese said:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

yposhelley said:
I got asked an abortion question.

what exactly did they ask you and how did you respond?

Psycho Doctor said:
what exactly did they ask you and how did you respond?

I got asked "a fifteen year old girl comes in and asks for an abortion-what would you do?"

I said I would counsel her as to the pros and cons of having/not having the baby, and ask her to think on it for at least a few days. I would refer her to counselors as well. If the law required parent consent before performing an abortion I would get it, if it didn't require parent consent, I wouldn't worry about it. If she was abosoultely sure after counseling this was what she wanted, I would perform it.

But, I don't think I'll be performing any abortions-these days there are clinics for that.

I was wondering-suppose this 15 yr old had really strict, religious parents and the law required telling them and getting permission-and this girl was terrified of telling them and also really didn't want the baby? Would it be unethical or illegal of me to mention that abortion is not illegal in neighboring states-and to suggest going there? I would be really tempted to do this, but I wouldn't without being sure of its legal implications first.

yposhelley said:
I was wondering-suppose this 15 yr old had really strict, religious parents and the law required telling them and getting permission-and this girl was terrified of telling them and also really didn't want the baby? Would it be unethical or illegal of me to mention that abortion is not illegal in neighboring states-and to suggest going there? I would be really tempted to do this, but I wouldn't without being sure of its legal implications first.

In situations where the girl's safety would be jeopardized by telling her parents, or if the parents would inflict extreme emotional stress or punishment on the girl, a judge can order the abortion without parental knowledge. That would be step one. Step two would be to offer her information on how she could get the abortion done safely elsewhere. I don't find that illegal or unethical; she's your patient, not her parents.

Psycho Doctor said:
most but not all....

It is virtually unheard of for any abortion to occur at or after 22 weeks, so splitting hairs of the date doesn't really make sense.

stinkycheese said:
In situations where the girl's safety would be jeopardized by telling her parents, or if the parents would inflict extreme emotional stress or punishment on the girl, a judge can order the abortion without parental knowledge. That would be step one. Step two would be to offer her information on how she could get the abortion done safely elsewhere. I don't find that illegal or unethical; she's your patient, not her parents.

Thanks, stinky :thumbup:

"What piece of music or fine art best exemplifies your character?"

That was defnitiely the hardest question I got. Another tough one was during a panel interview after the three of us applicants had to work together on a collective answer. Once we answered I got asked to comment on what I noticed about the other two applicants while we were working together.

menemotxi said:
Once we answered I got asked to comment on what I noticed about the other two applicants while we were working together.

Wow! They are really trying to measure your character with that one. What if one of the applicants was a real jerk and you'd hate to ever have to work with her/him again. One one hand, you want to be completely honest but on the other, you don't want to say anything bad about another applicant because it would reflect poorly on you. I think I'd be very delicate with my comments.

menemotxi said:

That was defnitiely the hardest question I got. Another tough one was during a panel interview after the three of us applicants had to work together on a collective answer. Once we answered I got asked to comment on what I noticed about the other two applicants while we were working together.

yikes!! both of those are awful.

did the interviewer see your exchange with the other students to know if you were being honest? what was the collective answer and to what collective question?

my interviewer took off her shirt and asked me, "What do you think of this third nipple?"...

me. said:
my interviewer took off her shirt and asked me, "What do you think of this third nipple?"...

What did you say? I would have said, wow thats really an amazing asset-if you ever have triplets!

menemotxi said:

what did you answer to the first one? i would die if i had to answer that on the spot. now that i've thought of it, i have come up with one, but i would have just panicked in the interview. for the second one, what did you guys say about each other?

LauraMac said:
what did you answer to the first one? i would die if i had to answer that on the spot. now that i've thought of it, i have come up with one, but i would have just panicked in the interview. for the second one, what did you guys say about each other?

For the first one, I took a deep breath, thought a moment and spit out the only thing I could think of. I told them (it was a three-on-one interview) Chopin's Polonaise No. 6 because it reflected my overwhelming optimism. I know that sounds cheesy, but that one totally caught me off guard.

For the second question, three of us applicants were asked to come up with a project for our hypothetical M1 class to participate in. We had one minute to confer and give a collective answer. Keep in mind that we were being watched from across a table by the three interviewers. We gave our answer and then one of the interviewers immediately asked me what I noticed about the other two applicants. Luckily, the other two folks were really nice so it was a bit easier to answer. I said something about each individual but then they asked me to be more general, so I said that we all carefully listened to one another and were very patient considering the time frame. I do believe that was the answer they were looking for since the head interviewer said "Yes, exactly." That question was pretty unnerving.

I've had some other tough ones too:

How would you lessen America's dependence on foreign oil? (after in my previous answer I complained about oil drilling in the Alaskan Outback)

What do you think of America's foreign policy?

My favorite question was:

If I were your age, what would you say to convince me to move to your hometown to start my career? (I'm from Memphis, so it was easy)

Something to know...

Not an ethical question, but I didn't know the answer so it was tough :)

Who is the Secretary of Health? Tommy Thompson

I knew who the Surgeon General is (Richard Carmona), but not the sec. of health. I sweated it for a minute, and then the interviewer said "it's okay, hardly anyone knows that one"

Phew!!